Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Street triple running rough/misfiring

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Squircle
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 04 May 2015    Post subject: Street triple running rough/misfiring Reply with quote

Hi all,

More problems with the Striple. I took it out of storage a few weeks ago, and it ran fine for a while. This last week it's been in my garage because of the constant rain, so it's been stood with not much petrol in it for about 7 days.

I took it out today and went to Tescos to get some petrol. The petrol light was on. I filled up, then set off on a bit of a ride. After about 10 minutes the bike started sounding a lot louder, and then started to misfire. When I stopped there was a very small amount of smoke rising from the exhaust pipe above the bellypan. I left it for a couple of minutes then started it up again, and it seemed fine for about a mile before it started getting loud and misfiring again.

On the way back, in traffic when the bike got hot it would run a lot rougher, but once on the dual carriageway it would get a bit smoother. Power was down at higher temps and as I got home it was close to stalling. Video link below, you can hear the rough engine noise right at the beginning then the misfires at idle speeds. I was going slow because it was being so erratic, hence the overtaking cars.

https://youtu.be/9VYSJ9z0XlE

Any ideas? I'm currently thinking either a coil, or spark plugs, but could it be condensation in the tank? Or a bad batch of petrol? I have very little mechanical skill so it will have to go to the dealership but I like to have a few informed opinions Smile

EDIT: Bike is a 2012, with 2800 miles on the clock. Was serviced about six months ago.
____________________
Current: Triumph Street Triple ABS (2016)
Honda NX700x (2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:14 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you accidentally put diesel in the tank?
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Squircle
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did actually consider that, I wasn't paying a huge amount of attention when I filled it up and I didn't get a receipt or anything. I don't think I did because the tank was near empty and I filled it to the brim, and it kept going for the next 40 minutes and started up fine this morning. Plus I gave it a sniff this morning and (although I don't know what diesel smells like having never had anything but petrol vehicles) it smelt like petrol to me.

The timing of it suggests bad petrol, I called Triumph and the first thing they asked was where the petrol was from. I said Tesco, he said it's likely that, they've had a few recently with water in.

I'm tempted to run it through a bit and put some high octane stuff in when there's room.
____________________
Current: Triumph Street Triple ABS (2016)
Honda NX700x (2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squircle wrote:
The timing of it suggests bad petrol, I called Triumph and the first thing they asked was where the petrol was from. I said Tesco, he said it's likely that, they've had a few recently with water in.


I think you could be jumping to conclusions because you just filled up, and Triumph saying Tesco fuel contains water sounds like an excuse.

Can't really hear the misfire on the vid because of wind noise but running rough when hot sounds more like a dodgy plug or spark issue to me.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Squircle
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:54 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's fair enough, it's just that it was running absolutely fine up until about 4 miles after the refill that made me think that. The bike isn't under warranty so if there's a way I can avoid taking it in I'd rather exhaust all other options first.

If you listen to the vid when the bike is stopped, especially in the second clip, you can hear how variable the idle is.

If I do run the petrol through am I risking any damage to the engine if it turns out to be bad plugs?
____________________
Current: Triumph Street Triple ABS (2016)
Honda NX700x (2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the plugs, see what they look like, if one cylinder is acting up the difference will be obvious.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's only running on 3?

Wink

More seriously, Tesco have been known to have water in their fuel tanks before, especially when they're low. If there were zero issues before you filled up then it has to be a suspect.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squircle wrote:
I called Triumph and the first thing they asked was where the petrol was from. I said [anything], he said it's likely that, they've had a few recently with water in.

Nexus Icon wrote:
More seriously, everyone have been known to have water in their fuel tanks before

But what ethnicity was the person working the till? I bet that's significant. You know what that lot are like, I heard a story about them once.



...probably is fuel related though.

Have you drained any out to see what it looks like?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Squircle wrote:
I called Triumph and the first thing they asked was where the petrol was from. I said [anything], he said it's likely that, they've had a few recently with water in.

Nexus Icon wrote:
More seriously, everyone have been known to have water in their fuel tanks before

But what ethnicity was the person working the till? I bet that's significant. You know what that lot are like, I heard a story about them once.



...probably is fuel related though.

Have you drained any out to see what it looks like?


Oi, Roger, that's not what I was implying. I wasn't suggesting Tesco are the only company that have sold contaminated fuel. I will, however, state that they are not a company who hasn't.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Squircle
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not, no. It has to be said, I'm really not terribly handy Sad
____________________
Current: Triumph Street Triple ABS (2016)
Honda NX700x (2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely sounds like it's running on two cylinders, not just a missfire. But it's a bit tricky to judge from video.

I don't see how a bad batch of fuel would make 1 cylinder not work.

18mths ago, a mate was telling me that he lost a cylinder on his ER6 and it was down to a large crack appearing in one of the coils.
Apparently not an unknown problem.

He preceded to tell me that the Street Triple has the same coils. I'm not sure if he meant they were literally the same, or if he was referring to the modern practice of incorporating the coils into the spark plug cap.
Because they are so much closer to the engine, they go through much more extreme cycles of hot/cold and can perish so much faster.

I would think it's very much worth popping the tank up and inspecting coils / HT leads / plug caps.

EDIT:
Ahh ok, later on in the video it does just sound like a missfire.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

the caps are all the same part, identify which cylinder is misfiring and then change the caps over to see if the problem moves
____________________
Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Squircle
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:32 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update; just took it for a spin around the block a few times. It ran absolutely fine until it reached about 6 bars on the temperature gauge, then started very quickly to sound rough, power dropped and misfiring.

Pulled back into the drive and took a look at it; the midsection of the exhaust, just after the three pipes merge into one at the underside of the bike, was absolutely glowing red hot.
____________________
Current: Triumph Street Triple ABS (2016)
Honda NX700x (2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you pulled the plugs out and checked them?

Pull the plugs out and check them...

Do it now...
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Squircle
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to do that. If it were my Honda I'd just go at it but I'm worried with the triumph that my lack of expertise I'll just make things worse or damage something.

I could just do with knowing roughly if this sounds like a major engine problem and if it's safe/advisable to ride it the four miles to the dealership.

The bike is 2 1/2 years old and has done 2800 miles, but it spends so much time being fixed. It had the sticking oil pressure valve last year that meant I couldn't ride it all summer because they couldn't figure it out. Now it's out of warranty and I'm worried I'm going to have a big bill on my hands.
____________________
Current: Triumph Street Triple ABS (2016)
Honda NX700x (2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carvel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:57 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squircle wrote:
It had the sticking oil pressure valve last year

Maybe it's that again.
____________________
2002 Aprilia RSV1000R, Cbr600Fs, Mk1 B12, Vfr400 NC30...

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Squircle
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carvel wrote:
Squircle wrote:
It had the sticking oil pressure valve last year

Maybe it's that again.


I don't know. It could be linked but I have no idea. When that went though the pressure just blew the seal on the oil filter, this is very different.
____________________
Current: Triumph Street Triple ABS (2016)
Honda NX700x (2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carvel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get the plugs out. It will be a tank off job but a bit of common sense and a haynes manual will make it simple enough. Gonna be hard to say what it is until you check the plugs
____________________
2002 Aprilia RSV1000R, Cbr600Fs, Mk1 B12, Vfr400 NC30...

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Squircle
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to take it in. The dealership have said they can't look at it until the end of the month so it's even more time without the bike.

I know you guys find stuff like that simple but if anyone can mess up an easy job it would be me.
____________________
Current: Triumph Street Triple ABS (2016)
Honda NX700x (2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/176659-diy-street-triple-spark-plug-and-air-filter-change.html

looks pretty straightforward.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is your friend. Its a simple enough job to take a look under the tank, i'm sure you can figure it out.

Thumbs Up Order a manual if needs be, it is better than waiting till the end of the month.
____________________
Riding: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer Occasionally Riding: 08 Suzuki SV650, Potato: 2011 Yamaha YBR Custom.
Used to ride: 2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (smidsy) 09 Triumph Street Triple (P/X'd) 08 Yamaha YBR (Sold)
CBT 04/14. A: Mod 1 & 2 13/04/15
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Squircle
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan0834 wrote:
Google is your friend. Its a simple enough job to take a look under the tank, i'm sure you can figure it out.

Thumbs Up Order a manual if needs be, it is better than waiting till the end of the month.


I've never replaced a spark plug before. My knowledge really is quite limited so I'm just worried I'll make things worse. I realise how pathetic it sounds! I wish I was good with this stuff!
____________________
Current: Triumph Street Triple ABS (2016)
Honda NX700x (2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:47 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect time to start learning, we all started somewhere. just follow instructions and do plenty of research as you go. Very Happy
____________________
Riding: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer Occasionally Riding: 08 Suzuki SV650, Potato: 2011 Yamaha YBR Custom.
Used to ride: 2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (smidsy) 09 Triumph Street Triple (P/X'd) 08 Yamaha YBR (Sold)
CBT 04/14. A: Mod 1 & 2 13/04/15
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:01 - 06 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squircle wrote:
I could just do with knowing roughly if this sounds like a major engine problem and if it's safe/advisable to ride it the four miles to the dealership.


The trouble is it's hard to tell, there are so many things it could be ranging from a spark issue right through to valve trouble. The first stop on the fault finding list is to take a look at the plugs and without doing that it's guesswork.

As the others said, give it a go yourself. Plug removal is routine maintenance so (even on a Triumph) is a relatively simple job.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Squircle
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 12 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to take a look at the plugs but couldn't see anything wrong with them, then decided I was out of my depth looking for any further causes and had it recovered to Triumph.

They said a coil was dropping out so they took a look, turns out the wire was loose. Rolling Eyes

I'm going to pay the hour's labour and get back on the road, but I'm wondering how the wiring was loose when the only people who have had that bike apart has been triumph when it had the sticking oil pressure valve last year. When I got it back the indicators weren't wired up right, so you can imagine I kinda suspect something similar here, but I don't have the knowledge to say for sure.

To be honest, I'm just glad the bike is fixed and it hasn't cost a fortune!
____________________
Current: Triumph Street Triple ABS (2016)
Honda NX700x (2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.69 Kb