Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Fork oil and exhaust stud questions. XJ9 Divvy.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:31 - 12 May 2015    Post subject: Fork oil and exhaust stud questions. XJ9 Divvy. Reply with quote

Hi All,

I need to order the last few bits to get my divvy back on the road, you'll probably have guessed that they are fork oil and something to do with exhaust studs. One thread beats two so excuse the multiple questions.

Fork Oil
I think standard for oil for the XJ9 Divvy is 5 weight, which might as well be water Laughing Last time I changed the oil I put some 10 in there, I honestly can't remember how much difference it made but I do know that with the blue spot callipers on the front the bike seriously dives when braking. The proper solution is more firm linear springs (It already has progressive Hagons) but I don't have £80 laying around at the moment! Am I likely to ruin what handling I do have if I put 20 weight oil in the forks? I get that in theory it slows everything up, what is that likely to do in practice? Will it actually mask the issue at all, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Exhaust studs
Well, nuts actually. I wan't to buy some brass/bronze nuts for the studs, I have a vernier calliper at work but the bike is wheel-less at home and I'd like to buy the bits today if I can. So, can anybody confirm the size? I thought they were M6, but they look to be an 8 to eye now that I have the old nuts off. Don't really want to waste time and money sending bits back and forth.

Thanks
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mgh0
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 12 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nut is M6.

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/yamaha-parts/motorcycles/xj900s-diversion-1996/exhaust-343171.aspx
____________________
"Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, it is defined by those who fell and rose to fight again." Adrienne Rich.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:54 - 12 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have brass nuts here if you want to pick some up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 12 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to check at work tomorrow but I might take you up on that if we don't have any Thumbs Up . I have a niggling suspicion I've seen some in a drawer somewhere.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:43 - 12 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its any help, a common or garden pencil ( HB, whatever)
is about 8mm in dia
Also if you take the dust cap off a tyre valve, the threaded bit is 8mm too
____________________
bikers smell of wee
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stalk
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 13 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studs are m8 and the nuts are round and driven by an 8mm Alan key. Well they are on both mine. Don't know if you will get nuts on the studs and be able to drive them with a socket, looks a bit tight. But I haven't tried.
Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

evoboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 13 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thicker fork oil wont stop it diving, it will just slow it down slightly. Thicker oil in damper rod forks ( like yours ) will normally make the most difference to the rebound damping, slowing it down giving less of a 'pogo' action.

The downside being is that it may make the ride more choppy as the suspension is slower to react to bumps.

I would go for 15w oil. The progressive springs make it difficult to do any form of setup so 15w would be a good compromise.
____________________
Suzuki GT250 x7------- Fazer 600------CB250RS------Aprilia Rally 70----- Bandit 600

APT Motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 13 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found some brass hex bar at work so I'll knock up a couple of nuts if I need them, thanks for the offer anyway sickpup Thumbs Up

What stalk said has made me think though, it can be a struggle to get an Allen key to the nuts as it is. I'll have a go with some off the shelf stainless nuts to check fitting before spending any time making brass nuts. Thanks Stalk Thumbs Up

As for the suspension, would I be better of knocking up some shims or something?

Edited because I can't read a username Embarassed
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.


Last edited by c_dug on 22:00 - 13 May 2015; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

evoboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 13 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:


As for the suspension, would I be better of knocking up some shims or something?


Put a cable tie around the fork stanchion, then go out and ride the bike. If under hard braking the cable tie is right up against the bottom yoke, then some shims on top of the spring will help.

Also, having a smaller air gap in the forks will help stop bottoming out. ( Air gap being the gap of air above the oil inside the fork with the spring removed and the fork fully compressed. It would normally be listed in a workshop manual for the bike ) I wouldnt go more than about 10-20mm less air gap though.

15w oil will help regardless as its quite a heavy bike.
____________________
Suzuki GT250 x7------- Fazer 600------CB250RS------Aprilia Rally 70----- Bandit 600

APT Motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:12 - 13 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the bottom yolk is too far up the leg for the forks to compress that far, but I did have a cable tie on the leg while the bike was still on the road and with hard braking I could get the forks to all but bottom out, judged by measuring with a ruler and comparing to the fork travel in the manual. I never felt what I'm lead to believe is the distinctively knock of them bottoming out though.

I was under the impression (and I'm happy to concede if I'm wrong) that shims would precompress the progressive forks to a more firm section of spring?
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 13 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard weight is 10w with standard springs. Hagon recommend 15w with their progressive ones. (I've also got the progressive springs in mine, use 15w oil, better then the 10 but still dives a bit Rolling Eyes )

Are yours the adjustable ones?
____________________
A2 Passed 18/6/10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 13 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjustable for preload only (I think, they have a cap on the head which compresses the spring, that's Preload, right?).

Interesting they recommend 15w, I'm pretty sure I've had 10 in it since I last changed the oil.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

evoboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 13 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

I was under the impression (and I'm happy to concede if I'm wrong) that shims would precompress the progressive forks to a more firm section of spring?


That is what preload is.

Pre compressing the spring.
____________________
Suzuki GT250 x7------- Fazer 600------CB250RS------Aprilia Rally 70----- Bandit 600

APT Motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 13 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
I can't work out what a nut that can be removed by an allen key is Embarassed

It took me a while to work that one out too Laughing
____________________
A good loser will always be a loser.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stalk
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:44 - 14 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/genuineparts/9537/12/yamaha%20xj900s%20diversion/exhaust?uID=0
Item no 19, bit expensive! Stud one end, Allen key in other.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 143 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.91 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 92.3 Kb