Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New bike on A2 licence

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

tomupcraft
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 26 May 2015    Post subject: New bike on A2 licence Reply with quote

Hi, I'm riding a CBF125 at the moment, and in about two weeks time I'm going to be trying to get rid of the CBF for something bigger.

I have a few bikes which I think I'll look out for (see below) but would appreciate any other suggestions from you guys or if any of you recommend me avoiding any of the ones mentioned below.

Just to note, The bike will be stored at my house during the winter (in a garage) but during the summer I plan to keep it in London (my university address) and so it will be parked on the street. I feel that it is reasonably safe to leave the bike on the street in the area that I am living (with the usually safety procedures of course), because of this I would like a bike that will not be such a thief magnet and is sub ~ £2,000. Also bikes that can handle two up pretty well would be a bonus Thumbs Up

my current considerations are:

SV650S
Bandits
CB500
XJ600 diversion
CBF500

Any other recommendations based on what I'm looking for Very Happy ?
____________________
CBF125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:51 - 26 May 2015    Post subject: Re: New bike on A2 licence Reply with quote

tomupcraft wrote:
London [...] not be such a thief magnet

Thinking

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3083/2593474282_32286b14ac_z.jpg


Question: are you going to restrict it or "restrict" it?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tomupcraft
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 26 May 2015    Post subject: Re: New bike on A2 licence Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Question: are you going to restrict it or "restrict" it?


Yep it'll be properly restricted so that I have the certificate or whatever to prove if needed, annoyingly Thumbs Down
____________________
CBF125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:13 - 26 May 2015    Post subject: Re: New bike on A2 licence Reply with quote

tomupcraft wrote:
it'll be properly restricted so that I have the certificate or whatever to prove if needed

There's almost no connection between the two. That's why I'm asking.

If actually restricted it might as well be the CB500.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

tomupcraft
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:29 - 26 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodyGuard wrote:
Considered other bikes? Fazer 600 98-03.

Out of the list I wouldn't mind trying an SV to see of they are really as terrible as the arm chair experts make them out to be.


Yeah, I've sort of considered one. I've seen through one of the threads on here that official figures of the BHP were indeed within the A2 limits, even though everywhere else it says it exceeds the 94BHP. My only issue with one would be explaining it questioned, how even though figures from the web state its not A2 legal, that some guy received an email from some guy, stating that its actually sub 94BHP.

TBH, I'm probably just being too paranoid about staying legal.
____________________
CBF125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tomupcraft
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:31 - 26 May 2015    Post subject: Re: New bike on A2 licence Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
tomupcraft wrote:
it'll be properly restricted so that I have the certificate or whatever to prove if needed

There's almost no connection between the two. That's why I'm asking.

If actually restricted it might as well be the CB500.


Yeah, I did quite like the CB500 as It was what I tested on. Plus if it's true what people say about their reliability it'll be nice to not have to worry about it constantly rusting etc, like I do with the CBF.
____________________
CBF125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 26 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomupcraft wrote:
I'm probably just being too paranoid about staying legal.

I reckon so.

The chances of you ever running into someone who knows the law are pretty slim.

Given the 70kW pre-restriction limit on A2, I'm minded to consider that's what you're actually expected to ride. Otherwise what on earth is the point of it?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tomupcraft
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
tomupcraft wrote:
I'm probably just being too paranoid about staying legal.

I reckon so.

The chances of you ever running into someone who knows the law are pretty slim.

Given the 70kW pre-restriction limit on A2, I'm minded to consider that's what you're actually expected to ride. Otherwise what on earth is the point of it?


I'm pretty tempted with the idea of a fazer now, and I've seen some for sale close by which I might go and check out. I've emailed yamaha to see whether they would send me the horsepower figures so I have it in writing if needs be.

Is the fazer actually a decent bike in most aspects?
____________________
CBF125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 07 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may end up with an SV. They’re not supersports so no they’re not gonna be the quickest, but they sound more fun than ER6s plus they’re cheap and easy.

Although I’ve not ridden a Fazer (yeah yeah, I know) I’m going to reluctantly agree with Bodyguard here. My dad’s had one since release and has done a fair few miles on it without problems, including some trackdays. My DAS instructor has owned dozens of bikes and he reckons the Fazer is one of the best, most balanced he’s had and has kept hold of it for years. I’ll be very keen to try my dad’s once passed.
____________________
CBF125 (2013) -> CBR600F (2001) -> 'Ninja' 300 (2014)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 27 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedPanda wrote:
they sound more fun than ER6s


Ebola is probably more fun than an ER6 and more comfortable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tomupcraft
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 28 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Yamaha got back to me and confirmed what I guess we now already know Laughing

Coincidentally, there's a nice looking fazer for sale nearby Thumbs Up
____________________
CBF125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.98 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 75.64 Kb