Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Removing chain guard.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Gazz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 15 Aug 2015    Post subject: Removing chain guard. Reply with quote

Tonight I decided to leave the chain guard off after oiling the chain. I have seen numerous other dirtbikes with their front sprocket guard and chain guard removed because it apparently stops debris getting caught up in it, but to be honest this is unlikely to happen to me on my commute to work. I did not remove the sprocket guard.

But whats the worst that can happen? Its a real pain in the arse to keep removing when doing the chain to refit it afterwards. The thing is, even if the chain snaps, this thin bit of plastic is hardly going to prevent it causing whatever damage it would have caused otherwise.

Whats BCFs opinion? Safe enough, or will I die from artereal bleeding from a snapped chain?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:12 - 15 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst that can happen is there'll be splatters of chain lube on your rear fairing and wherever else they happen to land. Wink

What bike are we talking about?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Amber Phoenix
Traffic Copper



Joined: 01 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 15 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a feeling it maybe an MOT failure... something about required for stopping your foot, pillions foot or some such getting caught in the chain. I'm sure someone else here will confirm that though.
____________________
Beginner Biker Adventures Blog
Yamaha FZ6 S2 2007
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Fidge This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:59 - 15 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfa__ wrote:
Got a feeling it maybe an MOT failure... something about required for stopping your foot, pillions foot or some such getting caught in the chain. I'm sure someone else here will confirm that though.


Nope, there's nothing in the test manual that says you must have a chainguard, only that if one is fitted, it must be secure and not fouling other components.

If it's not there, it can't be tested, but you can get an advisory, along the lines of potential trouser trapping hazard, or similar.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:13 - 16 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, fine for MOTs without one. I had the Hornet MOT'd without one and it wasn't mentioned. I've been running it since January without one and to be honest I haven't noticed a difference. I was expecting some chain lube on the back of my left leg but I've not even had that Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 1.11 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 48.2 Kb