Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What can you carry?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

thehairysmite...
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 27 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:48 - 27 Aug 2015    Post subject: What can you carry? Reply with quote

I learnt to ride a motorbike in Vietnam where I lived for half a year. We / they would carry everything on their bike. Out there they'd strap anything from a fridge to a few crates of lager to the back of a bike...

My question is, what can you legally bungee cord to your bike rack in the UK without getting in trouble? What does the law say?

Look... https://flowerpictures.net/Freebeautifulpictures/vietnam/transportations/motorbikes/images/motorcycle-32.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:47 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

...If you carry explosives or ammunition you need to be a recipient competent authority...if you carry blades you need to be able to convince the police that you don't intend to use it as a weapon... if you carry petrol it must be in approved containers and no more than two of such may be carried...

Don't exceed the maximum gross weight for the vehicle. I carry crockery sets, PCs, televisions, anything I can rok strap to the pillion seat securely enough that it wont smack me in the back when I brake hard.
____________________
Bandit. does. everything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Major Doss
Traffic Copper



Joined: 09 Jan 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:40 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this could so crever spam, no naparm.
Use your noodle. Thumbs Up
Maybe look at the UKGOV shite? Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:01 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be required to bungee their feet to the rear pegs, their thighs to the luggage hooks, their torso to yours and their arms around your waist, and, provided that you're not sussed as you go about your seemingly lawful business, you're allowed to take the [helmeted and] lifeless lump of any recently failed bike thief for a nice ride to the depths of Kielder Forest.

It's how to keep the pickaxe and spade concealed that's the problem . . . Thinking
____________________
There's a fine line between integrity
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:21 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK there are no prescribed load limits on Bikes the Law is simple your bike's tires and suspension must be coping and the load must be secure and not interfering with your control of the bike

So too great a weight or too high a centre of graverty would not be OK
Any load that interfered with the steering or prevented you from sitting normally or getting you feet on the footrests would also not be OK

Use common sense that is basic what the rather old Law expects ( TRA1927 was what I think I was quoted )
No I was not being done just seeking guidance from a traffic officer friend
____________________
Dave
NC750Xdct + others at work !
[email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:30 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the main reason I have a car is to carry cwap about. Most I've had on the bike is when I went camping so was all the camping stuff plus a passenger.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

expat200
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 27 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I had a car the bike was the only way I had to carry stuff about.

Compared to the weight of a (large) passenger any load you carry is going to be small fry, as long as its attached well enough.

Some of my more notable freight runs on my CX were:

3 crates of 24 cans of beer back from France

Suzuki x7 frame and swingarm (actually this was strapped to a rucksack frame I was wearing so not technically on the bike)

Best one was a 14ft scaffolding plank. Lengthways on the bike from the front of the seat (so I was sitting on it) strapped to luggage rack and about 8 feet of it hanging off the back of the bike. With the obligatory yellow duster hanging from the end so warn following motorists. It was only a short trip across Derby and probably wouldn't do it again Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

choogh
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 05 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:11 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: What can you Carry Reply with quote

Does this count ???
3500mile Euro trip earlier this spring/summer
Charlie H
____________________
Current Squadron:
R1200rt. Virago 535
Loro Sono tra noi.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:40 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_1243_zpsboscbwyo.jpg

Chunky speaker. Four man tent. Three full boxes. That was just about the limit of the suspension.

Last year's bbq trip was more impressive but I don't think we took a picture.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:32 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also pull a trailer no greater than 1m in width and as long as you like so far as the distance between the rear bike axle and the end of the trailer is 2.5m or less.

That should allow you to carry a lot more gear is necessary.


https://ridershandbook.com/towing-a-motorcycle-trailer.html
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:13 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cement and ballast is the most I've carried.

Or mrs.thx and a Dyson vacuum cleaner.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.37 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 69 Kb