Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


YBR and practicing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Synre
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 07 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: YBR and practicing Reply with quote

I'm thinking about getting a Yamaha YBR 125 and I was curious if being slightly on the taller side would make that bike a bit awkward, from what I've seen it looks to be a very small bike and taller people on it tend to look very out of place.

Also I haven't ridden in a while since I got my CBT certificate and I was wondering if anyone has any tips of practicing by yourself, like what times to do it, where to do it, what to practice etc etc. I was thinking it'd be best to it at night since that would mean the roads are quite empty and it'd also give me more confidence with night riding, I also haven no wide open place to practice near me either, so any tips?
Thanks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: Re: YBR and practicing Reply with quote

Synre wrote:
Also I haven't ridden in a while since I got my CBT certificate and I was wondering if anyone has any tips of practicing by yourself, like what times to do it, where to do it, what to practice etc etc. I was thinking it'd be best to it at night since that would mean the roads are quite empty and it'd also give me more confidence with night riding, I also haven no wide open place to practice near me either, so any tips?
Thanks


It comes down to you as an individual as to what time, where and what to practice. Go out on the bike and ride in a range of weather conditions and at different times of the day and find out what you do and don't like, without riding in them you wont be able to find out.

At first I wouldn't advise going into full night time riding but again it depends on you as a rider and how well you're able to read the road ahead, judge any potential hazard and ride for the conditions. Learn at your own pace with this method and ride around a few quiet roads at first and see how you feel and then change up your routes to include different speed limits and type of roads when you feel confident enough.

Just a suggestion.. when you get your own bike contact a local training school or one that you trust and get them to do either a full day or half day with you and help you with your general riding and what areas to practice on.

Not to derail the thread and take it off topic already but might DAS be worth considering as to learn more, get a full license and then have a wider choice of bike whereby you would actually be able to enjoy roads that have NSL and just generally be on something that has a sufficient amount of power. Personally I prefer the training schools GS 500 over my 125 any time.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Synre
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 07 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:20 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not old enough to ride anything but a 125, the reason i'm wanting to try practicing alone because riding with other people when I'm prone to messing things up drives my anxiety through the roof.

My main issue is mainly height concerns on the YBR 125 and wondering if dirt bikes are good starter commuting type bikes since they look like they're good heights but I don't see people riding them at all really.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synre wrote:
The reason i'm wanting to try practicing alone because riding with other people when I'm prone to messing things up drives my anxiety through the roof.


Understandable. However do appreciate that I'm not recommend riding with any old Tom, Dick or Harry and simply an instructor. You may be surprised how beneficial a half day of training can be to improve your personal riding. You want to learn I appreciate but I can't help but recommend that you get some extra training on top of your CBT so that you can improve your riding in all areas as quickly as possible.

Personally I found that while the CBT felt like an achievement at first once I got on my bike I soon forgot all the information overload provided during the one day and was time to learn all over again. My point is that learning on the roads with just CBT knowledge isn't impossible but isn't all that beneficial.

Anyhow.. amount of time spent on the bike will play a part in how quickly you become confident and comfortable with the bike. So, as above, get out there when you can and ride as much as possible and if you make a mistake you'll soon learn to correct it in your own time. As for traffic and other road users just stay in lane 1 and learn at your own pace. Thumbs Up

Synre wrote:
My main issue is mainly height concerns on the YBR 125 and wondering if dirt bikes are good starter commuting type bikes since they look like they're good heights but I don't see people riding them at all really.


Find one at a local second hand bike shop and ask if you can have a sit on one and then go from there. Generally speaking the only 125 I've seen recommend for tall bikers is the Vardero other than that it's a bide your time until full license and get something that's more of a challenge.

Cannot comment on dirt bikes or supermotos as I've never ridden one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

KnightsFall
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 14 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How all is tall?

I'm about 6'1" (33" ish inside leg) and around 16 stone and change. The YBR feels like a decent size for me, though I have found the seat really uncomfortable on a longer ride, which may or may not be size/weight related. No issues up to about an hour in the saddle regardless. Caught sight of myself in a shop window and, whilst a YBR will never be the coolest thing to be seen on, I can't say as I looked like too much of a plonker.

Thing is, the seat height is the same as some bigger bikes and the pegs are quite low, so I think it is pretty tolerant of slightly taller riders. As above, go sit on one and see for yourself.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

adam277
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 31 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR always felt decent for me and I am about 6footish

Could always get a Varadero if you have the cash for it.

Imo you drive any bike long enough you're gonna get some pain somewhere.
You seem to be over thinking the whole driving thing. Just jump on it and learn as you go. When I first got my CBT at 18/19 I think... I jumped straight onto a scooter and drove 30 miles on a dual carriage-way into London everyday having never driven before. Was probably quite stupid but jumping straight in is the best way to learn.

I've always found when I'm with a instructor I get quite nervous but when I am on my own and left to do what I think is right I get on fine. I've been driving about 2 years and haven't killed myself yet.
You're gonna fuck up and there is nothing you can do to stop that.
____________________
Bikes: Previous Bikes: Piaggio x8 125: 2012/2013, YBR 125: 2013/2013 BMW R1150GS 2013/2017, Honda CBR600RR 2017/2017, Honda CB500 2018/2018, Suzuiki Address 110cc 2019/2020, BMW R1200GS 2021-2023
Current Bike: Honda CBF 125: current
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stobo91
Nova Slayer



Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 02 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 6ft and can't fault the YBR at all.

As mentioned, you'll never rock that cool biker look whilst riding one but its a solid bike perfect for learners.

Ive been riding it about 15 months now nearly everyday on my 7 mile each way commute Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.09 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 56.07 Kb