Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New Rider Doing Direct Access

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

zico
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 10 Oct 2015    Post subject: New Rider Doing Direct Access Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'd never sat on a motorbike until August this year. I booked and did my Category A CBT and the theory test and I've my Mod 1 booked for this coming week. So far I'm having great fun with it.

I bought a YBR 125 after the CBT and I'm rattling around on that but it will be going when I get my license, probably for an ER6n.

I thought long and hard about the 125 route, but my riding has improved a lot since I got it. I honestly don't think I'd pass Mod 2 without the road experience the 125 is giving me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:06 - 11 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your Mod 1, remember to listen to the instructions carefully, treat the test pad like a road (shoulder checks before moving off) and look where you want to go when you are doing your u-turn Thumbs Up

Oh, and remember to take your licence and cbt certificate with you!
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ForestRunner
Nova Slayer



Joined: 13 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:23 - 11 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:

Oh, and remember to take your licence and cbt certificate with you!


This. Plus your theory certificate! This is what I forgot Rolling Eyes Never got as far as the pad without it...

Good luck, just concentrate and ask will be fine Very Happy
____________________
Slowly learning...
CBF125 Red (Stolen) -> CBF125 White -> 1999 Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:30 - 11 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the tests Thumbs Up
____________________
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not...
Yamaha Fazer FZS 600, MT09, XSR 900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zico
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 11 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I did a mock test with the training school yesterday and got 1 minor. It's all about keeping it together on the day I guess.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FuzzyBallz
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 May 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 11 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike are you doing the test on?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

zico
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 11 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuzzyBallz wrote:
What bike are you doing the test on?


A Kawasaki ER6n. I've sort of fallen in love with it and want to switch the 125 for one asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Simba76
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 18 Dec 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:18 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an ER6 for my few hours training before my MOD2. It was too high by a fraction and I just didn't get on with it.
Dropped it twice in 1 2-hour lesson in fact.

I used a XJ6 for my hours training before my MOD2 on the day. It was lovely with an easy clutch, perfect height. Ideal.

I'd love to get one but i'm several bikes away from a "new" machine.
By new I mean anything post 2008!
____________________
If you can keep your head while all around are loosing theirs....you're probably in some sort of Zombie movie!

-Current bike ......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zico
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed my mod 1 today. Nerves got the better of me. I was ok until the figure of 8 when I turned in to tight and couldn't pull it back. The strange thing is that I have more room at the test centre than I had at the training school and I never have a problem with the figure of 8.

Absolutely gutted but I've booked the next available appointment on 10th November. I need to work on not being so bloody nervous about the test.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

noobRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go as wide as you like on the figure 8, even going around the outside of the last slalom cone if you want, as long as it's consistent and controlled. Better luck next time. I hope you finished the test though, it's good practice and you paid for it.
____________________
Licence: Nov 2012, Bikes: Suzuki GN125, Moto Guzzi Strada 750, Triumph Sprint ST 955i x 2
AnPhonEh: I need plans, I need contingency plans also, I need back up contingency plans
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

zico
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:20 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobRider wrote:
You can go as wide as you like on the figure 8, even going around the outside of the last slalom cone if you want, as long as it's consistent and controlled. Better luck next time. I hope you finished the test though, it's good practice and you paid for it.


It was the last part of the test. Up to that point I had a completely clean run. I was told I had to do the figure of 8 around two green cones at the end of the slalom.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

zark
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 18 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last part of the test? I thought they all went in the same order?
Oh well... at least you know the rest of it is do-able. You don't have to keep tight to the cones - take as much room as you like and keep the revs up.
I was just advised not to treat them as a series of U-turns... (so don't go in at 90 degrees to the line of cones...) The last one, you don't have to get between the last yellow (?) cone and the green (?) figure of 8 cone, you can split those and then start the figure 8s

Still - according to my instructor - the most fails are not getting up to speed on the measured tests so you're nearly there. Good luck on re-test.
____________________
CBT - Oct 13. Theory - July 14. Mod 1 & 2 - June 15.
Rides a Fazer like an idiot... Edit: Now ride a Fazer Thou...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ForestRunner
Nova Slayer



Joined: 13 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobRider wrote:
You can go as wide as you like on the figure 8, even going around the outside of the last slalom cone if you want, as long as it's consistent and controlled.


This. My instructor kept at me to use the space available, and he was right. Tight only makes it harder for yourself. BIG smooth circles, not dropping in too tight on the cone at the top of each of the loops.

You'll nail it next time Very Happy

At least you avoided my numpty mistake Laughing
____________________
Slowly learning...
CBF125 Red (Stolen) -> CBF125 White -> 1999 Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

zico
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForestRunner wrote:
At least you avoided my numpty mistake Laughing


I have to ask, what did you do?

Edit - ah yeah, the theory certain. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SuperMike
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 30 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through all this a few weeks back and it is a nervous time. I was doing u-turns and figure of 8's all day long on the training ground, but when you are doing it for real it all goes out the window. The advice above is sound about going wide around the cones - I went outside of the final yellow one on one occasion, so very wide, but didn't matter and passed it all with one minor for not going quick enough on the avoidance exercise - nailed it the second time. You'll get it I'm sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zico
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
I went through all this a few weeks back and it is a nervous time. I was doing u-turns and figure of 8's all day long on the training ground, but when you are doing it for real it all goes out the window. The advice above is sound about going wide around the cones - I went outside of the final yellow one on one occasion, so very wide, but didn't matter and passed it all with one minor for not going quick enough on the avoidance exercise - nailed it the second time. You'll get it I'm sure.


Thanks for that. I've managed to get a cancellation for next week so not long to wait.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

zico
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod 1 and Mod 2 passed. Very Happy

Taking the L plates off felt great, now to sell the 125 (thank f*ck) and buy a 600/650.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

noobRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJ Thumbs Up Dance! Clapping . Take it easy out there Smile
____________________
Licence: Nov 2012, Bikes: Suzuki GN125, Moto Guzzi Strada 750, Triumph Sprint ST 955i x 2
AnPhonEh: I need plans, I need contingency plans also, I need back up contingency plans
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kidjal
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 20 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:21 - 07 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

zico wrote:
Mod 1 and Mod 2 passed. Very Happy

Taking the L plates off felt great, now to sell the 125 (thank f*ck) and buy a 600/650.


Congrats for the pass Thumbs Up happy days Very Happy
____________________
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not...
Yamaha Fazer FZS 600, MT09, XSR 900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ForestRunner
Nova Slayer



Joined: 13 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 07 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Well done Very Happy
____________________
Slowly learning...
CBF125 Red (Stolen) -> CBF125 White -> 1999 Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.1 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 112.4 Kb