Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Some advice please?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:33 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Some advice please? Reply with quote

If I am getting unwanted e-mails that I`m sure are dodgy, how can I stop them.
I know that I must never open a suspect e-mail , but is there any more I can do to stop them coming to my e-mail address in the first place?

I have virus protection (McAfee) and it is on .


Any info/hints would be appreciated Thumbs Up
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:21 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

which email client are you using?

most should have some kind of junk email option, mark it as junk and forget about it.

or just delete it and a forget about.
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:37 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much you can do from a smart phone but you should be able to block persistent offenders, once you've consigned them to junk mail.

However there are certain offenders who are not so easy to get rid of, for some reason I've had crap from Canadian Pharmacy for as long as I can remember, impossible to block permanently because every new email comes with a new address - they tend to come in rashes though and I seem to have been pox free for quite some while now Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Outlook for many years, downloaded mail to my machine rather than IMAP. I used to get spammed to fuckery for years and then I moved to Google Apps for Work, which is essentially Gmail with your own domain name.

I get about 20 spam emails a week now which don't even reach my inbox, hidden nicely away in a spam folder. Google's spam protection is industry leading, as are any of the other big cloud hosted platforms.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:36 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
I Google's spam protection is industry leading, as are any of the other big cloud hosted platforms.


But you also need to get into the habit of checking it on a regular basis. As its not uncommon for genuine mail to end up there....

A couple of times I have had insurance doc's end up in the spam, yet still get their marketing crap into the normal inbox.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly just shite in mine, you will always get the odd genuine email in there in any system though Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:27 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
Mostly just shite in mine, you will always get the odd genuine email in there in any system though Thumbs Up


Lol, I consider myself unlucky if I get one email a month that is junk.
A lot of the problem is caused by people giving out their email address to every Tom, Dick and Harry that asks for it, if you don't sign up for shit you don't get shit Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 03 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always put [email protected] as my email address when dealing with companies.

Then if I start getting unwanted spam I forward that address to [email protected] - ie a black hole for emails.
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 0.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 55.54 Kb