Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Opinions please , iPad , tablet etc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
 Topic moved: from Found on the 'Net to The Geek Zone by stinkwheel (2 Dec 2015 - 18:45)
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer



Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Opinions please , iPad , tablet etc Reply with quote

Hello BCF'ers


I'd like to buy my woman a tablet for Xmas , but which one ?

So , I'm not a apple devotee , I do have a iPhone 4S , never updated the OS , 4 apps and a few songs , I do have a 1st gen iPad but again not much on it and just use it for browsing .
I personal hate the control apple has but I do like how they work , simple .

She's a simple but beautiful lady ( she may see this one day ) and not techie at all .
I really don't know where to go , iPad , Samsung , Amazon fire or just a simple laptop .
She does have a M8 phone so she's not a Apple dependant either .
Money isn't a factor so what would be better
Can of worms can be opened .

Thank you in advance

Christopher
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

non-techie?

get her an iPad.

/thread
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer



Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be non techie / idiot as I posted in the wrong bit !

Doh


1 vote for the pad , thank you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:43 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebbs73 wrote:
I may be non techie / idiot as I posted in the wrong bit !

Dick.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, get her an ipad because fashion.

Also get her a camera. Explain the difference in function between the two devices.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toys, toys and toys, that's not where the happiness is. Wink
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPads are simple to use, but expensive.
If her phone runs android then there are loads of tablets using the same software, Sony Xperia and Samsung Galaxy both have tablet derivatives.

If you already have an abandoned iPad though, maybe worth thinking of getting something cheaper like a Tesco Hudl or whatever the one is that Amazon make. They're apparently still good quality, but cheap too.
____________________
This post is probably not serious and shouldn't be taken literally.
Past: CBR125,ER6f NINJA 650, ZZR600 Current: VFR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for iPad because non-techy.
____________________
Current Bikes: BMW K1200S
Previous: Honda CBR929RR, Honda CBR1100XX, Honda CB600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer



Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:56 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take the comment " dick " it's well deserved .

Hurts me to buy another apple product but it seems the way forward .
Easy peasy to use as she'll only moan at me .
But a non apple has so much more to offer ......................


Necklace it is !



Chris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:31 - 03 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that my missus, total technophobe that she is loves her nexus tablet.

She has had an apple phone but now runs an HTC one mini quite happily so it isn't totally cut and dried.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:21 - 03 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look at a reputable android tablet I think. They're not far off an ipad in terms of ease and lighter on the wallet. The really cheap stuff (Chinese and/or unbranded) is worth avoiding unless you're a geek or a power user who's happy to tinker.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 03 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why people think an iPad is easier to use.

An app is an app.

With Android tablets you can connect via USB/Bluetooth/wifi to your pc and drag and drop files - non of this iTunes malarkey.
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:56 - 03 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
With Android tablets you can connect via USB/Bluetooth/wifi to your pc and drag and drop files - non of this iTunes malarkey.


Plus, you can use whatever accessories that are out there, using an android. Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 03 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggle to see why someone who has an android phone would struggle with an android tablet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:37 - 03 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
I struggle to see why someone who has an android phone would struggle with an android tablet.


They wouldn't.

It's the same OS. The only difference is the layout because the screen width & height is bigger.

I'd personally recommend something Android based purely because she has an Android already. It's going to be more annoying using two different OSs than the benefits iOS gives you over Android, or Android gives you over iOS. That way she can instantly know how to do everything on the tablet that she already does on the phone.

The worst part about picking an Android device is finding one that hasn't been butchered by the manufacturer, or feels like a toy. But that's the OPs job, not the wife's!
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer



Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 04 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies

That's a great point about the same operating system , so I going with an android so ....

Which one ?
I've not played with any of them .

Thank you

Chris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:28 - 04 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebbs73 wrote:
That's a great point about the same operating system , so I going with an android so ....

Which one ?
I've not played with any of them .


It's for a woman, so the one that looks the prettiest, most fashionable, most like an ipad. She won't pay attention to the numbers, like the screen res is so many ppi, the camera is so many MP or has googadonglewhateverautosomethingummy 4.0 and can connect to some thing or other and works 100 times better or faster than a crapple iThing. It's what it looks like, and what does it say about her. She doesn't want to look like a geekoid pleb, so all manthinking like logic and specs goes straight in the bin before you start. Does it go well with the furniture and her shoes?
____________________
Prize cunt
--
"In a world of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:16 - 04 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at something like this: https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/best-pure-android-tablets/

However personally I'm not a fan of tablets. I find them annoying because they are every bit as annoying to work on as a phone, and not as capable as a small laptop.

I sold my tablet because I found that I'd either use the phone or the laptop, never the tablet.

The only tablets that I actually like are the Microsoft surface range. They're a lot better for working on, and have a nicely designed detachable keyboard. Whilst the fill range of desktop software isn't available, being able to use a full blown office suite and internet browser is nice. However they aren't really traditional tablets and app availability kind of sucks.

So if it's a toy I'd go for android. Useful for internet browsing, playing some games, checking up on Facebook.

If she's likely to want to use it for any kind of work, I would recommend going to PC world and playing around with a surface to see if you think it might tick the boxes.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 04 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bite the bullet and buy from a big manufacturer. I find my 8" tab3 from Samsung a lovely bit of kit. I also hav a 10" Note and an ipad air (from work).

The 8" Samsung is my favourite.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=samsung+tab+3+8+inch&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=3174896852&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1m6g8grz5g_b
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 04 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does she think of your current iPad? Does she use it much? Does she like it?

I've had cheap tablets, expensive tablets, iPads and that awful BlackBerry PlayBook thing...

I've never really had anything for long as already mentioned the phone and Laptop are better in their respective areas.

When people at work ask me a similar question, I always respond iPad. I'm no fan boy, I hate my work issued iPhone 6. But for end users, it's a sensible choice.

The big brand manufacturers (Sony, Samsung etc) have got a lot better with a more refined Android experience, but the iPad still manages to be a lot simpler.

iPad - one manufacturer for software and hardware
Android Tablet - Many manufacturers modding many versions of the software.

One major gripe I have over Android is how often Apps get updated because of poor coding. Don't seem to get that anywhere near as often with Apple Apps.
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 04 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Samsung galaxy tab 2. Is decent if not getting on a bit.

I'd prefer a 10" screen, the 7?? isn't quite big enough but I don't use it often so hard to justify an upgrade.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer



Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 04 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good link , nexus looks good .

We don't live together so she doesn't use my iPad and it's a fair while since her iPhone 4 , maybe she'll forget how easy peasy they are to use .

I'm thinking nexus and with the change some nice shoes Smile

Thank you for you input .

Christopher
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 05 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebbs73 wrote:
That's a good link , nexus looks good .

We don't live together so she doesn't use my iPad and it's a fair while since her iPhone 4 , maybe she'll forget how easy peasy they are to use .

I'm thinking nexus and with the change some nice shoes Smile

Thank you for you input .

Christopher


That's a guaranteed BJ. Thumbs Up
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.46 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 119.25 Kb