Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Plucking the moon from the bottom of the sea!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:50 - 08 Dec 2015    Post subject: Plucking the moon from the bottom of the sea! Reply with quote

Anyone here play Mahjong, not the, dumbed down, internet, pick up sticks version but the real world, rummy type, Chinese game?

I first played it when I was 9 or 10.
I haven't played it for a few years, however I've just found the box of tiles and rule book.  I'm going to start playing again so I'll have to brush up on the scoring and special hands!

https://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/photosnew/dealer_serpentine/dealer_serpentine_full_1280651846873-7081244271.jpg

That's not my set, but it's given me idea.

The set I have is in a, horrible, plastic covered cardboard box, i'll have a go at making a nice wooden box and some tile holders, I can feel a "Show and Tell" coming on!
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:06 - 08 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only ever played the "dumbed down internet version" - What's the difference?
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:38 - 08 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
I have only ever played the "dumbed down internet version" - What's the difference?



Simply not being prompted for actions, penalties, cheaters and violence.

Also the ability to lose your house after a circuit. There is NO backing out of a circuit. If you lose big you are obliged to play on or pay a massive penalty and continue losing big.

Grannies will happily play for £500 a point. I've seen mainland Chinese play with gold bricks and lose £50K in a game.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.


Last edited by Itchy on 18:40 - 08 Dec 2015; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:40 - 08 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played a 'real world' version, but many years ago I had a mahjong game for my Sega Game Gear. It was japenese, had no idea how to translate, but learned how to play anyway. Was easy to pick up on the go.
Only ever see the pairs type games online these days.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:48 - 08 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
I have only ever played the "dumbed down internet version" - What's the difference?


The original, non interwebs, version, is similar to the "gin rummy" card game, for 2 to 4 players, collecting 3 or 4 of a kind plus a pair is a simple way to explain it, there's a bit more to it than that. Even if you don't have a winning hand you still score points, possibly more than the complete "winning" hand, has nothing to do with picking up pairs of tiles from a random pile.
It's a gambling game really, you can lose serious amounts of money if you don't set a limit on the points scored in each hand. Certain combinations of tiles in your hand mean the score of the hand is doubled, having five doubles in your hand soon racks up lots of point/£'s.

As I understand it the game was banned in China, in the 30's, as it was seen as too decadent, along with the associated gambling. The ban was lifted in the 80's, I think.
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:55 - 08 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to play quite a bit, although I haven't for some years.

Picked it up from my Sister (along with backgammon) who has a lovely set made of bamboo and some sort of ivory substitute, in fact, it became something of a family tradition to play at Xmas, instead of Monopoly.

We never played for money, we used to pool the sweeties we got in our stockings (another family tradition) and play for them - loser ended up with all the orange cremes Laughing



That sounds hideously middle class - and me a good working class Bermondsey boy, gor blimey guv'na, luvva duck, me ol' china Cool
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.5 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 51.73 Kb