Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Website Design

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

i1301243
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:27 - 04 Dec 2015    Post subject: Website Design Reply with quote

Hi all, long time lurker and decided I'd actually sign up.

I've got a flutter of a business idea. I don't really know if it'll work or not. To try and promote this idea a bit, I'd like a website. I don't have the first idea of websites therefore it seems sensible to ask someone else to design it.

Googling shows prices of between £2p/m and £2k one off fee. I feel like I'm the proverbial 17 year old looking a Chinese superplastic and comparing prices and thinking "it's a bike, it'll do, right?"

Can anyone recommend a company for website design?

Given that I'm not sure if this idea will even work, I don't want to sink £100s of pounds into a website no one is interested in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 04 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice, get yourself on a cheap build it yourself (drag and drop) platform.

https://www.squarespace.com

https://www.wix.com

I'm a web designer myself but I mostly only work with corporate companies.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 04 Dec 2015    Post subject: Re: Website Design Reply with quote

You could start by describing what you want the website to do - just a basic 'business card', or will it launch a drone to bring you a cup of tea controlled from the browser via a first person view?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

i1301243
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:02 - 08 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do just want an online business card.

Thanks! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 08 Dec 2015    Post subject: Re: Website Design Reply with quote

G wrote:
...or will it launch a drone to bring you a cup of tea controlled from the browser via a first person view?


Shocked

I will pledge many ponds for this on your kickstarter and look forward to attending your TED talk.
____________________
Honda CB500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

i1301243
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 08 Dec 2015    Post subject: Re: Website Design Reply with quote

FlightRisk wrote:
G wrote:
...or will it launch a drone to bring you a cup of tea controlled from the browser via a first person view?


Shocked

I will pledge many ponds for this on your kickstarter and look forward to attending your TED talk.


I was thinking "Forget the business idea, let's just do this!" but then realised I had nothing to fund it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:02 - 09 Dec 2015    Post subject: Re: Website Design Reply with quote

Thinking - well, actually... I was envisioning them dispatching one from a depot, but if it was a tea-making machine in another room, actually my plan isn't THAT far fetched, especially if we went with a LTA based UAV! Smile


Anyway, err, not that complex...
I would get some cheap hosting to ensure you're not stuck with whoever does the design.
Then have a look around and see if you can find someone who's designs you like the look of.
There are many easy to install template options too.

Ideally a website should be part of an overall marketing and customer interaction strategy, so consider how it fits in to that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 09 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just glossing over my suggestions? That's how you get a website for next to nothing, Wix is free and squarespace costs a few quid a month, no need for web hosting.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 09 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
That's how you get a website for next to nothing

The other way is to get some webhosting from one of the many companies that sell it for 'next to nothing'.
Don't know what you get with the above, but I'd be strongly suggesting the OP buys their own domain name and has email routed through their domain.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:40 - 09 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get hosting and a domain I will create a basic holding page for free. Should take 1 hour max.
____________________
Current Bikes: BMW K1200S
Previous: Honda CBR929RR, Honda CBR1100XX, Honda CB600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 10 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously need to buy a domain name regardless. You link that to your account on the above sites, which takes care of the website building and hosting or some of the plans include a free domain.

Key here is simplicity of building a site with a drag and drop page builder. It's all well and good proclaiming how great the likes of Wordpress are but it's not the fastest nor the simplest route if you want something cheap and fast but also not shit.

Make it look good the first time, rather than putting something that looks shite up for the sake of it.

The only reason I suggested them is because of their simplicity in getting a professional page / site online, very easily and cheaply.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 10 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't wix.com geocities reincarnated? Sick
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 10 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those free drag and drop sites are shite. You want your website to be an extension of your brand; coherent, slick and informative.

You can go down the route of buying pre-made WordPress themes, but they look, well, like a theme.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing it properly.
____________________
Current Bikes: BMW K1200S
Previous: Honda CBR929RR, Honda CBR1100XX, Honda CB600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

i1301243
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 10 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy, I did listen and it was very helpful. I have a website *live*. It's just relatively expensive when you start to look at removing adverts and linking your own domain. I've tried to keep it basic.

paddywinz, it's a very kind offer. I'm PM you but currently recovering from surgery so not in the right state of mind.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 11 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddywinz wrote:
All of those free drag and drop sites are shite. You want your website to be an extension of your brand; coherent, slick and informative.

You can go down the route of buying pre-made WordPress themes, but they look, well, like a theme.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing it properly.


I totally agree with you, I'm a web designer of 16 years myself but he's not looking to spend vast amounts of money here. Even a Wordpress theme gets costly, the demos always look slick but they're very deceptive, in the fact that they're filled with stock photography and that looks great, except, when you put your content in there to replace, it doesn't look anywhere near as good.

If you've never used Wordpress before, fathoming out a theme's structure and function is something entirely different to a novice.

If you want it to look slick and an extension of your brand, you need to spend a few quid getting it done properly, there's just no way round it.

On the other hand, if you just want to promote yourself and get some jobs in, you just need a nice looking presence and you can build on it, which is why I suggested the free builders to keep cost down for him.

If you're sub £100 in budget, that's the best you will get really unless someone helps you out who knows what they're doing. If you have a £200 - £300 budget, you could get yourself a theme from the likes of ThemeForest.net and pay a designer to customise it to your brands needs.

If you want something designing completely bespoke and built to spec, you would be looking at £600 / £700 + for a basic brochure website. Been there, done that, now I just build corporate brochure sites for medium sized businesses with budgets of £1,000 - £5,000 which is where I always wanted to be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.32 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 84.01 Kb