Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Juddery/Rubbing discs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

evilzed
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 19 Dec 2015    Post subject: Juddery/Rubbing discs Reply with quote

Bit of a strange one for me, got the tyres changed on my FZ1 when I replaced the wheel the front discs where rubbing noticeably more than they were before taking the wheel off (tested on an Abba stand with the front raised up) after the cleaning up the brakes with brake cleaner and few rags it was a little better. Everything was tightened up at this point

So today loosened the pinch bolt on the axle, sat on the bike while lifted on the Abba stand and I pushed up on the yoke to pump the forks and hopefully align the wheel accurately. Torqued the pinch bolt up to spec, then loosened the caliper bolts and gently moved them side to side a touch to back off the pads slightly.

spun the wheel which was spinning fine with no contact then pumped the brakes up to pressure and held the brakes shut with a cable tie on the lever and torqued the calipers. After this the wheel spins quite free however I'm now getting this weird judder/catching when I push down on the wheel to spin it if I use any decent force. I thought it may be warped discs but if I do it slowly it's completely fine and nothing catches.

Is this something to do with floating discs or have I totally bodged something up? I'm a bit paranoid as I would rather not have the front lock up when accelerating away. I did take it for a ride and it seemed fine for the most part but it's an odd one.

Thanks for any help!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 19 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the spacer/s fitted properly?

Is the tyre catching on your support/paddock stand? Embarassed
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

evilzed
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 19 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was catching something so I did take a good look around and there's nothing I can see :S I did install a fender extender few weeks back and double checked and the clearance is plenty.

All cables etc are out the way I'll probably try setting the caliper pistons again, the front brake lever bites very fast noticeably more than before I realigned the wheel etc I don't think it's a stuck piston though as it spins find until I use a bit of force.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:00 - 20 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you putting it in the right way around? Discs will have a rotation arrow on them.

+1 to all spacers being in the right place.

You can't be unalign the front wheel in relation to the forks if you're just changing the front wheel. There's no scope for forwards and backwards adjustment built into the wheel, or the forks themselves.

What do you mean by a judder/catch? If it feels fine when you're riding I wouldn't worry too much. You'll always get a bit of dragging from the brakes anyway as they're always in contact with the disc slightly even when no pressure is applied.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:36 - 20 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything above ^^^

Check the wheel or tyre for a rotation arrow. Also have you had the pads out of the calipers? If so, did they go back in the same sides and same way round? Pads back in the wrong place will rub more until they have bedded to the disc.

If everything is where it should be then just go ride ita nd use the front brake. Try it again after.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 20 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
... the front brake lever bites very fast noticeably more than before I realigned the wheel etc I don't think it's a stuck piston though as it spins find until I use a bit of force.


Does sound like a sticking piston - have you changed the piston seals?
____________________
Honda Varadero XL125(V8)
www.TheFutureIsHere.eu
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 20 Dec 2015    Post subject: Re: Juddery/Rubbing discs Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
Bit of a strange one for me, got the tyres changed on my FZ1 when I replaced the wheel the front discs where rubbing noticeably more than they were before taking the wheel off (tested on an Abba stand with the front raised up) after the cleaning up the brakes with brake cleaner and few rags it was a little better. Everything was tightened up at this point

So today loosened the pinch bolt on the axle, sat on the bike while lifted on the Abba stand and I pushed up on the yoke to pump the forks and hopefully align the wheel accurately. Torqued the pinch bolt up to spec, then loosened the caliper bolts and gently moved them side to side a touch to back off the pads slightly.

spun the wheel which was spinning fine with no contact then pumped the brakes up to pressure and held the brakes shut with a cable tie on the lever and torqued the calipers. After this the wheel spins quite free however I'm now getting this weird judder/catching when I push down on the wheel to spin it if I use any decent force. I thought it may be warped discs but if I do it slowly it's completely fine and nothing catches.

Is this something to do with floating discs or have I totally bodged something up? I'm a bit paranoid as I would rather not have the front lock up when accelerating away. I did take it for a ride and it seemed fine for the most part but it's an odd one.

Thanks for any help!


First thought is the tyre fitter has bent a disc carrier. It's very easily done. Other than that I'd look at bearings.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

evilzed
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:19 - 20 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought it may be the bearings as it's really the only thing that would explain it happening under force, The spacers are in right and so is the orientation as it's an ABS bike I also noticed whoever installed the wheel before me routed the ABS cables wrong which was interesting.

I'll double check everything and re-mount the calipers etc and see if I find the culprit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Process of 'illumination' now.

Thumbs Up

Hypothesis Mode/Laterally thinking mode on
One of both races (of each bearing assy.) will be in rotation and one will be 'fixed' (between the spindle nuts).

The wear will be most prominent on the loaded portion of the fixed race.

When you otherwise support the wheel the weight will act on the normally non-loaded portion. If there is no wear on that then it will not vibrate.

Hypothesis Mode off.
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 64.4 Kb