Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


VFR400 NC30 Electrical funzies any help appreciated

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to The Workshop by stinkwheel (20 Dec 2015 - 23:30)
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mattevans58
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 16 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:10 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: VFR400 NC30 Electrical funzies any help appreciated Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've been overhauling this NC30 I've had for a while now and I got it all up and running again but had a flat battery so I hooked up the charger and stupidly ran the bike with the live charger running. I've now got no lights on the bike however the headlight works, pass light and the bike starts on the button (which in relived about). However the indicators, brake light, oil and neutral light in the dash don't come on anymore. I'm presuming from what I read it's the Regulator/rectifier that's blown?? Although when it comes to electrics it fries my brain...

So if anybody has an suggestions I'll be greatly appreciated!

Cheers[/b]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check your fuses first off.

What you describe is not consistant with a reg/rec failure. That would pretty much just stop the battery charging (or make it overcharge).

I can't think how leaving a charger attached then starting the engine would damage the reg/rec. Damage to the charger would be more likely.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattevans58
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 16 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:44 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'd check your fuses first off.


Because I'm such a novice at electrics what should I look out for? How do I know if a fuse is blown? Is the U bend within the fuse still whole or will it split breaking the connection?

Cheers for your help so far
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:55 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull them out one at a time and look at them side-on against a light coloured background.

I'm assuming they are blade fuses.

As you say, if they are blown, you can usually see a break in the metal loop but do pull them out to look properly.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattevans58
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 16 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Pull them out one at a time and look at them side-on against a light coloured background.

I'm assuming they are blade fuses.

As you say, if they are blown, you can usually see a break in the metal loop but do pull them out to look properly.


Mate you made my day! It was 1 broken fuse and got it replaced for 39p! Bought a few spares of each whilst I was there. Think I got 5 of each fuse for the entire bike less than £10. Thanks again!! Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 1.34 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 45.2 Kb