Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tyre sizes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Error 650
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 21 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 23 Dec 2015    Post subject: Tyre sizes Reply with quote

My 1990 Cbr 600 left the factory with a 130 80 17 rear tyre. I now run a 140 80 17. The rear tyre is now scrap, I have been offered a nearly new 150 70 17 Bridgestone. I have read reports of people cramming a 160 tyre into the Cbr 600 of this era, how safe is it for me to run the 150 when it came out the factory with a 130?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 23 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't. Run the stock tyre size.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pdg
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:06 - 24 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BMW had a 130 rear as it's stock size.

It rides and corners much better with the 150 that's on it now. (I changed the rear wheel to a 4.5" off a different model though...)

If you go wide the bike will probably feel quite twitchy and tippy because the tyre will be getting squished away from it's design profile - only way to find out is to try but it could get to be an expensive experiment.
____________________
Any and all advice given should not be followed - if you have to ask it means you don't know so get a man in to do it for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Error 650
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 21 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 24 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks the both of you. I think Paddy's advice makes sense, Honda fitted a 130 as standard so I'll get one of them. It's not as if I drive mad or anything, I use it for commuting so what ever I fit will eventually end up squared off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 283 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 1.93 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 38.82 Kb