|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Nipedley |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nipedley Scooby Slapper
Joined: 09 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:52 - 24 Dec 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just to check you're using the multimeter correctly.
So you have the black lead earthed by connecting it to either the battery negative (best) or a piece of bare metal on the frame and you have the red lead on the connector leading away from the ignition switch?
And you're NOT testing the voltage across the terminals of the ignition switch which would give the results you describe on a normally functioning bike. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nipedley |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nipedley Scooby Slapper
Joined: 09 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:05 - 24 Dec 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hey stinkwheel
Yeah I was using negative lead on the battery terminal, I did manage to answer my own question and find out why..
Resistance on the live wire to the ignition switch was 40k ohms ! And I ripped what looked like factory wiring conduit apart to find this (piccy below)
That's the wire to the ignition switch that's badly crimped, it's not even falling out, it was crimped like that. They also cut off 3 connectors (reg/rec and headlight) and stuck the bare pins in, so I guess it's time to sort out the wiring.. The funny thing is, I've had this bike for 4 years and done 12,000 miles without a hitch, crazy it lasted that long.
The even funnier thing is, when I finally had a problem with it, I started the bike absolutely fine, hopped on and only when I flicked the headlights on did the bike die (and has been dead since), it must have been the last straw ____________________ CBR600 (1988) | GS500 (1989) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nipedley |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nipedley Scooby Slapper
Joined: 09 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Raffles |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Raffles World Chat Champion
Joined: 14 Apr 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 10 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|