Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Problems with new (to me) YBR 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

panaceasaurus
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Problems with new (to me) YBR 125 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Hoping people might be able to give me advice on a couple of issues I'm having with a YBR 125 (2013 reg) I collected last week please Smile

1 - Ignition Barrel

I'm getting fault 19 which is apparently

Quote:
a problem with the black and white wire (or its connectors at either end) between the ignition switch and the ECU.


It seems that slightly adjusting the placement of the key can remove this error and I've ordered graphite powder, but someone has mentioned that this could result in the steering lock engaging while riding ... so worth getting it looked at.

Something I should be able to do myself?

2 - Chain / Adjuster screw

Turned out the chain was too slack, so it came off during my first time out last week (Christmas Eve) - I had some advice here, watched some YouTube videos, read the owner's manual, bought some tools ...

Well it looks like the adjuster 'unit' (?) on the left side of the bike is pointed up vertically rather than back horizontally ...

And the adjuster screw (on the same side) is bent so I can't turn it

Really not sure this is something I'm going to be able to fix myself ?

https://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/girl_withno_name/IMG_20151228_132208.jpg

https://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/girl_withno_name/IMG_20151228_131544.jpg
____________________
-- Avatar by DestinyBlue: https://destinyblue.deviantart.com/ --
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also seem to be missing one of the bolts that holds the spocket on.

Take it back, demand your money back as its a fucking deathtrap. God knows what else is wrong with it.
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You also seem to be missing one of the bolts that holds the spocket on.

Take it back, demand your money back as its a fucking deathtrap. God knows what else is wrong with it.


I hope this was not from a dealer.....

If a private sale then you are stuck..

Chain adjuster. Simple fix.
Take rear wheel off & remove it. Cut adjuster screw off and get a new one.

Who looked the bike over before you parted with the £££.... If it was a friend. Kill them..... Laughing
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A whole new chain adjuster wouldn't cost the world and would be much easier than trying to remove the bent bolt
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really?

Jesus christ. If you bought it like that then the seller wants dry bumming, if this is the aftermath of you sorting a slack chain then please off yourself as soon as possible (providing the bike doesn't manage it first).
____________________
Be a REAL MAN!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also looks like the sprocket was worn out so previous owner took it off and put it back on reversed, judging by the hooked teeth.
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panaceasaurus
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might this be it? I picked up off my drive earlier

https://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/girl_withno_name/IMG_20151228_165534.jpg

It was a private seller, so not sure how far I'd get with demanding my money back - probably just gonna have to do what needs to in order to make it safe and learn this lesson the hard way
____________________
-- Avatar by DestinyBlue: https://destinyblue.deviantart.com/ --
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:03 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

panaceasaurus wrote:
Might this be it? I picked up off my drive earlier

https://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/girl_withno_name/IMG_20151228_165534.jpg

It was a private seller, so not sure how far I'd get with demanding my money back - probably just gonna have to do what needs to in order to make it safe and learn this lesson the hard way


That means you have half a broken bolt stuck in the wheel hub. Good luck undoing that
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hyosung Karion for sale. Thumbs Up
____________________
Mpd72: I can categorically say i’m Brighter than that, no matter how I come across on here.
HAHAHA HAHAHA Blew Chilly MyCrowSystems
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to the for sale ad?

thats a death trap and youre going to die...

It needs: new adjuster
New sprocket
probably new chain
new ignition
____________________
Fin: no matter how much I look at It I can't understand what was going through my head, all I remember is going about 80 and redlining it to stop it seizing.
360 Deg... Five 1/4 turns. :- Teflon-Mike 18 Jan 2015


Last edited by Hahadumball on 18:10 - 28 Dec 2015; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panaceasaurus
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Fzs wrote:
Link to the for sale ad?

thats a death trap and youre going to die...

It needs: new adjuster
New sprocket
probably new chain
new ignition


For this one? Or the one Jewlio mentioned?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/yamaha-motorbikes/yamaha-ybr-2013-125-cc-mot-till-3-16-/1146564063
____________________
-- Avatar by DestinyBlue: https://destinyblue.deviantart.com/ --
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Fzs wrote:
Link to the for sale ad?

thats a death trap and youre going to die...

It needs: new adjuster
New sprocket
probably new chain
new ignition


It's good practice to replace both sprokets and the chain at the same time.

You'll probably find it easier to replace the sprocket carrier with an eBay one than try and remove the broken bolt from yours.

Any chance of a photo of the front disk just to complete the horrors?
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

" it's a very good bike I've had no problems with it. "

crack on chap!

Did you damage the chain adjuster or was it like that when you got it? or dont you remember..

also did you ever find your cat?
____________________
Fin: no matter how much I look at It I can't understand what was going through my head, all I remember is going about 80 and redlining it to stop it seizing.
360 Deg... Five 1/4 turns. :- Teflon-Mike 18 Jan 2015
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panaceasaurus
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Fzs wrote:
" it's a very good bike I've had no problems with it. "

crack on chap!

Did you damage the chain adjuster or was it like that when you got it? or dont you remember..

also did you ever find your cat?


The only time I've touched the chain adjuster was today - wondered why it wasn't moving (figured I was being weak) and noticed it was bent, so figure it was like that when I bought it

I'm feeling very stupid at the moment Crying or Very sad

Did I mention that I lost my cat!?! No sign Sad
____________________
-- Avatar by DestinyBlue: https://destinyblue.deviantart.com/ --
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

panaceasaurus wrote:
Paul Fzs wrote:
" it's a very good bike I've had no problems with it. "

crack on chap!

Did you damage the chain adjuster or was it like that when you got it? or dont you remember..

also did you ever find your cat?


The only time I've touched the chain adjuster was today - wondered why it wasn't moving (figured I was being weak) and noticed it was bent, so figure it was like that when I bought it

I'm feeling very stupid at the moment Crying or Very sad

Did I mention that I lost my cat!?! No sign Sad


No i googled you to see if you're hot, hot level depends on the help you get...

Let me pull out my haynes.

You definately need a new hub.. and adjuster, 2 sprockets and probably a chain

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Wheel-Sprocket-Hub-Carrier-and-Bearing-for-Yamaha-YBR-125-YBR125-All-Years-/172009932102?hash=item280c974546:g:iWsAAOSwSHZWd-p5

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YBR-125-YBR125-Chain-Puller-Tensioner-Adjuster-Pair-15mm-All-Years-/181849701970?hash=item2a57163e52:g:d10AAOSwnipWUxZs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-YBR-125-Gold-Chain-And-Sprocket-Kit-HEAVY-DUTY-2007-2014-YBR125-/401044344055?hash=item5d601b0cf7:g:R~EAAOSw-7RVCa8e
____________________
Fin: no matter how much I look at It I can't understand what was going through my head, all I remember is going about 80 and redlining it to stop it seizing.
360 Deg... Five 1/4 turns. :- Teflon-Mike 18 Jan 2015
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panaceasaurus
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:58 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone from a different forum just came and tightened my chain - even managed to get the chain adjuster down horizontal and the screw in the adjuster straighter...

Had a look at the rear sprocket and doesn't look like there's half a bolt stuck in there - just one (of four) completely missing

I'll get ordering those bits and then fixing (after a bit of a wait it seems, seller is away until 4 Jan) - I imagine I'll be back with questions when everything's arrived.

Is the front sprocket difficult to change? I was watching a video and it looks like they can be tough to get off
____________________
-- Avatar by DestinyBlue: https://destinyblue.deviantart.com/ --
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wont be able to tell if there is half a bolt stuck in unless you actually measure the depth of the hole.
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panaceasaurus
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - I thought I could see all the way through ... maybe not!
____________________
-- Avatar by DestinyBlue: https://destinyblue.deviantart.com/ --
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cynical part of me says some shifty twat just shoved that half a bolt in by the skin of its teeth and flogged you a shit heap.
____________________
Current bikes: '08 VFR 800 VTEC(yo) , '07 ZZR1400 Winter hack: '95 Aprilia 650 Pegaso Currently lusting after: RC30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Don't panic. That isn't so bad (although very annoying) and it wont cost the earth to fix. Thumbs Up

2. Whoever repairs it for you, friend or shop, ask them to check the bike over completely for any other bodges that need attending to before you ride it.

3. Lubricant on the barrel. Check the wiring and give it another go before changing the ignition switch.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:


3. Lubricant on the barrel. Check the wiring and give it another go before changing the ignition switch.


And check the connector block is connecting the wires well enough
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:33 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

panaceasaurus wrote:

I'm feeling very stupid at the moment Crying or Very sad


Don't beat yourself up over it, no one is perfect and no one knows everything and certainly not from day 1.

It's a shame the previous owner(s) didn't take better care of the maintenance side of things, but it is what it is and as Polarbear said, it won't cost the earth to fix.

I replaced the chain and sprockets on a YBR (mainly to lower the rpm's at 60mph by going from 14t front sprocket to 15t).
Also had to replace the sprocket carrier after hitting a large pothole (poor obs) and it cracked down one of the collars holding the bolt that has snapped on yours.

With a Haynes manual, it's all doable with time. But I think others may have already hinted at / suggested taking it to a garage or a mate who knows bikes to get it looked at more generally as at this stage you may not spot things.
Personally, I (mostly) enjoy learning how to do these things for myself, even if it does take 10x longer than the manual says Smile But appreciate that not everyone is interested in maintenance.

Spray some PTFE + 3in1 into the ignition barrel as this should help the keys to stop wearing the metal. Don't have a huge bunch of keys attached to the bike key if you can, the weight and movement causes excessive wear in the barrel. This is possibly what's caused this issue in the first place.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Crazy Courier



Joined: 25 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:47 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

rear sprocket bolt wiggles loose because the retaining clips are made of cheese, pokes out, hits the chain adjuster, bolt snaps and adjuster looks like that.

Same thing happened on my YBR! Threadlock is your friend!

Especially if your chain is loose and slipped off, for the love of god check your front sprocket is tightened and threadlocked in place! I neglected to check mine, next thing I know it falls out, fucks off in the middle of a busy roundabout and the chain wraps around the rear sprocket and locks the back wheel up in the middle of 3 lanes of rush hour London commuter traffic Shocked Brown trousers moment indeed.

Changing the sprockets and chain adjuster on the YBR is very easy, all you need is a socket set, cup of tea and some patience, theres very little to go wrong with it. If youve got a mate who knows what theyre doing, Id suggest you take an hour or two to do it yourself with their help and learn some basic mechanics for yourself Very Happy The YBR is very newbie friendly when it comes to repairs, everything is very simply put together!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
panaceasaurus wrote:

I'm feeling very stupid at the moment Crying or Very sad


Don't beat yourself up over it, no one is perfect and no one knows everything and certainly not from day 1.


^

This. As much as I would like to be a bastard, you have had the misfortune of being fucked over. It happens to us all.
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 28 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
rear sprocket bolt wiggles loose because the retaining clips are made of cheese, pokes out, hits the chain adjuster, bolt snaps and adjuster looks like that.


Except that the retaining clips are still in place (see picture 1)

Some nasty gouges on the sprocket as well.
Someone else pointed out that it looks like the sprocket has been reversed. You have to wonder if the previous owner (being kind) snapped a bolt and just stuck it back in hoping that the retaining clips would keep it in place long enough to get away from their house.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 1.32 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.09 Kb