Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Looking after kit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

RickHolt
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 13 Feb 2005    Post subject: Looking after kit Reply with quote

What do you need to do to look after leather jeans? I got a pair in december for my birthday and haven't used them yet. I've heard about treating/feeding them and about them stretching but I don't know what to do. I don't want to start wearing them and wreck them because I don't know how to look after them. How should they ideally be stored? Lay down? Hung up? Does it damage them if they're just left screwed up on the floor?

Same goes for boots, I've got some Frank Thomas Gortex boots, what can I do with them to look after them? I would have thought polish them but that seems a bit daft?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:16 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Gore-Tex boots and clothing here's a link you will find interesting in how to care for them;

https://www.gore-tex.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentGView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=10305

On normal black leather boots I wash the muck off them and use a rag to dry it off. Now I apply black dubbin to get them back to black and it re-waterproofs them too.

How to look after leather footwear and gloves via this link and the same principal can put on leather jackets too. You can buy products that keep them in good condition for much longer as you want to look after your investment and it will then look after you !

https://www.pittardsleather.co.uk/pages/worldclassmanufacturing/leathercare.cfm?CFID=637294&CFTOKEN=54673536


It's not good to throw the leather jeans into the corner and leave them crumpled up and so put them on a hanger instead it's better than nothing at all. If you regularly look clean them and particurly buy a pair with removable washable inner lining otherwise after while nobody will won't to speak to you - phew!

A wide range of bike clothing,etc. via this link;

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BFG
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern leathers get a lot of pre-treatment. Any care you give them on top will definitely help, but they are tough as hell.

I have new leathers and old leathers (12+ years) and they're both fine with just two things - Never put them away wet, this will go mouldy, and treat them with waterproofer. I chuck mine in the corner, just softens them.Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ratcliffe
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly won't wreck them by using them, so get them on and enjoy their protection!
There are various sprays and leather feeds that you can use, your local Army/Navy type store will have something suitabe, as will your local bike shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 0.65 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 40.21 Kb