Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

No white lines?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 03 Feb 2016    Post subject: No white lines? Reply with quote

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/white-lines-could-be-removed-from-britains-roads-110641923.html

When I first saw this I thought woo ability to filter ANYWHERE on the road you want even deep into the opposite lane.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:52 - 03 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: No white lines? Reply with quote

Just a smaller first step ...

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10623159.Cows_and_sheep_to_roam_free_over_Brighton_s_Ditchling_Road/

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Highway chiefs now believe that blank roads are more effective - as they introduce an element of uncertainty which prompts motorists to take a more cautious approach to driving.

[other article]Removing the lines has been shown to make motorists drive more cautiously, reducing their speeds and hugging closer to the kerb for fear of going over the “imaginary” central line.
Two problems with that Thinking.

Firstly, uncertainty only lasts a while, then people get used to it. Then people end up driving down the currently un-lined roads that they perhaps should take a bit more cautiously like they're on any other road they've got used and end up kamikaze'ing into each other at 60mph in small country lanes.

Secondly, cats-eyes surely have to remain regardless and basically indicate the type of road it is to anyone that uses it regularly anyway.

At least it won't cause any traffic congestion removing marking from all the roads and having people ploughing into hedgerows after aqua-planning through puddles at the side of the very well-maintained, well-drained road network Whistle.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:48 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obvious the Highway chiefs have never been to London, because they'll know any road markings, signs etc doesn't mean anything anyway.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: No white lines? Reply with quote

G wrote:

Yeah, thank god they didn't do that Shocked

utterly stupid idea

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:15 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashed lines are advisory anyway. There's nothing stopping you using the entire road right now - except solid whites, and I very much doubt they'll remove those because kittens.

Wild guess, are they reclassifying roads in a way that allows for a lower standard of maintenance?

Hokum
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:26 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most roads in Manchester are like this. Not due to any policy, just cause they don't repaint them! You could also recreate the battle of the Somme on various parts of the A57...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:32 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Dashed lines are advisory anyway. There's nothing stopping you using the entire road right now

So, being all legit, if there was say a long queue of traffic and you just sat in the other lane driving down there knowing its an oncoming lane, thats all gravy? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a daily user of Exhibition Road (See Shared Space), I regularly see people drive the wrong way around roundabouts, towards oncoming traffic, around blue direction arrows, through red lights and turning left through no left turn junctions. Also pedestrians walking in the road, and the occasional car driving along the footpath. All because there are fewer signs, kerbs, and white lines than people are used to.

I'm very sceptical about rolling this sort of thing out to more roads.

Last edited by c_dug on 13:20 - 04 Feb 2016; edited 1 time in total

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine how a Range Rover owner would drive?! You'd be dead within days on a bike. They don't need more encouragement to bully other road users

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the A232 near Croydon daily until recently. This is another of these roads with no central markings.

Things I noticed:

- Speeds were the same as everywhere else
- Cars generally stuck to their lanes as usual, except..
- When a bus was slowing, or car was waiting to turn into a side road, the cars behind would have much less of an issue 'squeezing' past and forcing oncoming traffic to move over..

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:12 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a lot of roads around here (greater London/Surrey border area) like that, I hate them because everyone just drives like cunts along them... bollocks do they make people slow down... they just make everyone think they have "right of way" because no white line/lane to cross.

Sounds more like some pseudo-science bollocks in an effort to justify less road maintenance costs to me Rolling Eyes

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes they are 'missing' for a while after resurfacing and it's surprising how the road feels narrower.
At night or in fog they are very helpful especially on more rural roads without cats eyes.

The proposal is only trials in certain areas and it will be interesting to see what happens.
It could result in a more Indian style traffic flow with more flexibility in 'lanes', which direction used more road space would depend on volume of traffic - more efficient use rather than having half of the road under used at peak commuting times
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

It could result in a more Indian style traffic flow

Shocked

Fuck that!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:52 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Dashed lines are advisory anyway. There's nothing stopping you using the entire road right now

So, being all legit, if there was say a long queue of traffic and you just sat in the other lane driving down there knowing its an oncoming lane, thats all gravy? Laughing

Sure, if there's nothing oncoming. Why not? Courts are trending towards awarding full compo if you get spazzed, no blame on the rider.

https://www.motorcyclecompensation.co.uk/Motorcycle-Accident-Case-Law-Davis-V-Schrogin--2006.aspx

https://www.motorcyclecompensation.co.uk/beasleyValexander2012.aspx

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:11 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my drive home will be excessively quicker today.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:29 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you crash into an oncoming vehicle, tell them the internets said it was OK. Thumbs Up

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed a PCSO on an MP3 today, he was wizzing along on the wrong side of double whites, skipping the traffic. I spotted a lorry coming the opposite direction so nipped into a gap in the traffic.

Popo carried on regardless and nearly got splatted (like very very nearly). How I chuckled. Lorry-ist didn't look amused even slightly.

Apparently even solid whites don't mean much these days.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:18 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Apparently even solid whites don't mean much these days.

They do in the UK, but not in London.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd question the 'uncertainty' psychology. I think it's just as likely you'll get a 'road is now twice as wide, so I can safely go much faster' effect.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about other people, but if it's an urban environment, I generally ride equidistant from hazards. Parked cars, junctions, queuing traffic, the oncoming lane are all hazards to be avoided. The oncoming lane is only dangerous when you can't see what is coming from it, or could come from it (e.g. parked car pulling out). The only time I pay much attention to dashed lines is going around blind corners to the left, or feeling bad about giving space to oncoming traffic when filtering.

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:42 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Sure, if there's nothing oncoming. Why not? Courts are trending towards awarding full compo if you get spazzed, no blame on the rider.

https://www.motorcyclecompensation.co.uk/Motorcycle-Accident-Case-Law-Davis-V-Schrogin--2006.aspx

https://www.motorcyclecompensation.co.uk/beasleyValexander2012.aspx

Ah good, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. I often do this down a long hill into work with the bike crackling and popping under engine braking. Alllllll the way to the lights at the bottom feelsgoodman.png

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:22 - 06 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This did my fuk in head in, don't care bout no white lines, but pseudo news fukin doublethink bollox on the morning bbc report... "well it's not to save money, because how much does a tin of white paint cost?" Shocked what a idiot I am, I always assumed those lines where actually quiet expensive considering the cost of road tax..

What next.. Do away with traffic lights at crossroads to slow people down... Why not do something sensible and get rid of average speeds on empty motorways in the middle of the night? Oh yeah it's all bout safety and nothing to do with revenue.. Silly me.

Hefty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:48 - 06 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

smallfrowne wrote:
Ah good, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. I often do this down a long hill into work with the bike crackling and popping under engine braking. Alllllll the way to the lights at the bottom feelsgoodman.png

You can literally feel their eyes boring into the back of your helmet though Laughing

blue_painted
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 06 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hefty wrote:
smallfrowne wrote:

You can literally feel their eyes boring into the back of your helmet though Laughing

Laser-boring when it's Plod stuck in the queue! (Just have to be careful avoiding the advances stop lines and merging in a non-nickable fashion)

Last edited by blue_painted on 19:45 - 06 Feb 2016; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2