|
|
| Author |
Message |
| drbaig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drbaig Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:59 - 02 Feb 2016 Post subject: Thundercat arcing, HT leads, Plug? |
 |
|
Yesterday I noticed the ticking noise coming from the engine is indeed the plug arcing. I could see sparks from the plug cap to the cam cover.
Now this phenomenon is only occurring when the bike is hot up to temperature. Starts fine. Runs fine.
I checked the cap there is no damage.
Is it as simple as a worn out plug or a new HT lead?
I will post a video later after I get home from work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwozRGUYUlI ____________________ yzf 600r 
Last edited by drbaig on 20:13 - 04 Feb 2016; edited 2 times in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mudcow007 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mudcow007 World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fizzer Thou |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fizzer Thou World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Aug 2011 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:11 - 02 Feb 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
I thought that I was having a similar problem on my Exup.The silicone leads that I had fitted years ago all measured some misleading resistances with big differences between two short leads,so I replaced the leads with new copper core items and all new plug caps and it now runs far better
On closer inspection of the OEM plug caps I can see that where the caps are moulded together there is a crack that opens up when hot,causing the spark energy to dissipate to the cylinder head,which is the easier route than via the spark plug  ____________________ Just talk bikes.What else is there?
Always have a 'Plan B' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drbaig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drbaig Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drbaig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drbaig Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drbaig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drbaig Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:52 - 02 Feb 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
A few months ago I took this video where I thought the clicking/ticking noise was header leak. At the end of the video there is a good angle at the plug cap and there are no sparks. I tightened the header and thought it was fixed since no noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7niLVETgg
This following video is from this morning. I only noticed it yesterday after riding through heavy rush hour traffic filtering (new commute). The bike got quite hot and I could hear the ticking noise which I thought I had fixed by tightening header bolts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwozRGUYUlI
I have also noticed that where the spark meets the plug cap there is discolouration there.
I think for a temporary fix I am going to insulation tape the cap and then revisit this problem when the weather is better.
I was also thinking if a simple fix of removing the cap and replacing that would be an option. ____________________ yzf 600r  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pjay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pjay World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jan 2016 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Snod Blatter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Snod Blatter Crazy Courier

Joined: 21 Nov 2014 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ariel Badger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ariel Badger Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drbaig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drbaig Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Snod Blatter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Snod Blatter Crazy Courier

Joined: 21 Nov 2014 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:58 - 04 Feb 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Does the engine even start when wet?  ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drbaig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drbaig Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| weasley |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 weasley World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drbaig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drbaig Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drbaig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drbaig Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:13 - 06 Feb 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Checked the plug 3.5 reading at 20k ohms.
Checked the cap 9.5 reading at 20k ohms.
So I am thinking it is the cables ? ____________________ yzf 600r  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Snod Blatter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Snod Blatter Crazy Courier

Joined: 21 Nov 2014 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drbaig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drbaig Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drbaig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drbaig Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:26 - 07 Feb 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Checked all the caps and plugs at 20k ohms
Cap 1 9.4
cap 2 12.3
cap 3 11.2
cap 4 9.6
Plug 1 3.75
plug 2 4.08
plug 3 3.73
plug 4 4.44
Put everything back and ran the bike for half an hour got it up to temp (100 degrees) no sparks, no ticking noise. Nothing. Maybe it was a lose cap ?
Or maybe it is an intermittent fault that will show up again at some point.. ____________________ yzf 600r  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ssray |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ssray Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 03 Sep 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drbaig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drbaig Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:58 - 13 Mar 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think the culprit might be the spark plug.
I've changed the plug 1 and it's s not giving me any shocks when I touch the engine.
Although when I unplugged the cap 1 and started the engine with 3 other plugs capped I still got a shock from the cap 1. Is that normal? I mean the current has to go somewhere when is not going to the plug. ____________________ yzf 600r  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ssray |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ssray Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 03 Sep 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 10 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|