Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Supersport 800 - Ducati - whaddayathink?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Gracie Jones
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:01 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Supersport 800 - Ducati - whaddayathink? Reply with quote

Guys,

What do we think of this. Am looking for a sporty bike, a twin with a bit more omph than my fazer 6, but without going mental and getting a litre sports bike.

Have considered both the firestorm and sv1000, but neither much appeal.

Second hand ss800 can be had for between 3 and 4K and it fits the bill in terms of a) its a twin - I want low down grunt and b) I like the styling.

Does anybody know anything about them, or have an opinion, good or bad?

Cheers for your thoughts.

Luke
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I don't like that whole SV half fairing thing type look.

I've been out on a Duc 900SS and that was a lovely bike. Ducatis are just full of character, if that makes up for any rumoured lack of reliablilty.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Will87
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it, Ducatis are gorgeous.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

*snip*


Bloomin' computer Rolling Eyes
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella


Last edited by Annabella on 17:16 - 14 Feb 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lovely looking bike, and apart from the irritating rattle from the dry clutch they do sound wonderful. I don't know anyone who has one personally though.

If you get one, just make sure you look after it. Thumbs Up



I'll go and rifle through my RiDE mags and see if there's a review anywhere to be seen.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

an 800 duke will have less power than a fazer 600 (74 hp for the duke to 91 for the yam) and a lower top speed but a bit more low down grunt
____________________
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:25 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a review of it via this link;

https://www.powersportsnetwork.com/newvehicledetail/st=WI/VehicleCode=14003/Ducati/Motorcycles/Supersport%20800newvehicles14003.htm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Ducati power claims are generally more accurate than the Japanese ones (Ducati tend to quote a rear wheel figure).

I have ridden a 900SS and it was a nice enough lazy bike. Would be good on a long fast road, easy to just roll on and off the power. Fairly smooth when going as well.

However they are not that smooth at low revs, and at the same low revs not that happy to pull.

To me it would depend on where I was riding it. Round town I would avoid it like the plague.

I would say go and take a test ride and see if you would like one.

Sounds like some of the older style sports bikes (or sports tourers) would quite suit what you want. FZ750 (seat is agony), VFR750, GPX750 (slappy handling), GSX750F, Triumph 900 Trophy (or the Sprint).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 22 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:49 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them, I have a Monster because I prefer naked bikes and a more upright riding position. I don't regret buying a Ducati at all and I am considering having another.

I find people either really like them or take the piss over reliability (apparently quality was dreadful in 1970s and early 1980s), I can only comment on my own experience and that is very good overall, my bike is now nearly three years old and it has excellent build quality in my opinion.

I really like the engine, I much prefer the 'feel' of a twin to the in-line fours I've ridden and I don't find it difficult to ride around town, I can't imagine the SS would be any different apart from the riding position.

Thumbs Up
____________________
jaffa - all juice and no pips
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa wrote:
I find people either really like them or take the piss over reliability (apparently quality was dreadful in 1970s and early 1980s),


Not so sure. A friend uses an early '80s Ducati Pantah for track days, normally round Three Sisters. Holds its own easily in the intermediate group against the supermotos.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 22 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:08 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
A friend uses an early '80s Ducati Pantah for track days, normally round Three Sisters. Holds its own easily in the intermediate group against the supermotos


Oh yes, they won races alright throughout that period but according to my Ducati history book the actual build quality of bikes leaving the factory was at best....variable.

I've seen nothing on my bike that suggests corners are being cut, it is top notch.

I think I'll be having another Monster, an S2R next, maybe this summer.

Thumbs Up
____________________
jaffa - all juice and no pips
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

His is not a race bike. It is a regular road bike that he thrashes around Three Sisters, and rides it to and from the track. No special preparation, just generally looked after reasonably.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:21 - 15 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

We owned a ducati pantah at one point. Loved that bike.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:12 - 15 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Ducati's and reliability.

So lets see, a quick list.

1989/90 >95 SS, monstro, Elephant all. reg/rec at every service, generator every 3 services

1989/90 >96 900 elephant, 900ss, 900 monstro front cylinder head studs snap. Clutch slave cylinder failure. Clutch bearing failure due to clutch dust. Swing arm bolts.

All 600 monstro. Abnormal wear front cylinder require rebore by 20k. Generator falls off due to crap threading of crank.

851 everything.

888 + all 916 variants. Shattered crankcases due to torque. D.O.A. fuel injection.

Pantahs had a rep for eating gearboxs and ot changing gear from new.

This is just off the top of my head and I stopped touching them around 95-96.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 85.45 Kb