Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


65cc 2Stroke won't start - Please Help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

James93
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 02 Mar 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: 65cc 2Stroke won't start - Please Help Reply with quote

Hi there, I am new to this forum and am just hopeing that someone could give me some advise with a few problems I am currently having with a 2009 Cobra CX 65 (Similar to KTM SX65)

I bought the cobra as a non runner from a friend relatively cheap, hoping that I could quickly get it up and running and make a little profit. When I purchased the bike it would kick over after some time but then run terrible while smoking quite abit, then foul the plug, bog and ultimately cutout. I then would clean the plug, tweak the carb and try again but with no progress.

Next I went out and purchased a piston kit with a little end bearing and installed them, cleaned the carb, filter and plug. But since then it won't kick. I can tell it wants to fire up but just won't. If I try to bump start it, it gets closer to starting but doesn't start properly, bogs and dies. The plug is producing a spark and fuel is flowing in to the carb. So now with my limited mechanical skill I'm currently stuck as to what to do next and as I don't intend to keep the bike I want to be spending as little as possible to get the bike up and running again.

Could you guys please suggest what to check next? and if you have any ideas what the problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also the air filter is well used and the plug has been fouled and cleaned many times (I'm not even sure if the plug is the right one for the CX65 it definitely fits but may not be hot enough) Could it be as simple as just these causing my problems? I just don't want to spend anymore than I have to. Having already had to buy the piston kit, sprocket, transmission oil. I may just be lucky to break even.

Many thanks in advance, James
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you check compression before you spunked out on a piston "kit" ?

new plug and air filter would have been a cheaper first option...just saying
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

James93
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 02 Mar 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mudcow, the piston change was way overdue, as I know 100% it was not changed by the 2 previous owners, the second of which ragged the bike around and was well over the intended size and wieght the bike was designed for. Thanks for the reply
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 stroke engines are relatively simple beasts.
First check it sparks well, and that it has compression, if these are fine, overhaul the carb.

If this don't fix it, it's broken.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct plug for your bike is an NGK BPR7ES, buy a new one, gap it correctly, replace the air filter then try starting it, you could try starting it with the petrol cap loosened or off, to make sure the tank breather aint blocked!
Does it have a choke, if so is it working correctly?
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 217 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.38 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 48.05 Kb