Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


CBR600F - downpipes popping & engine cutting out

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 07 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:34 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: CBR600F - downpipes popping & engine cutting out Reply with quote

My downpipes are corroded and have a hole. At my service last week I was told to call and order new pipes once they started popping. That started 2 days later.

What's happened twice since though, is that the engine has cut out when at very low speed/revs (big speed bumps & stopping at a red light). That's also when the popping happens.

Is the engine stopping likely to only be because of the hole? I'm worried about riding it so I think I'm going to be a bus wanker for a few days.
____________________
CBF125 (2013) -> CBR600F (2001) -> 'Ninja' 300 (2014)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:46 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some huge holes in exhausts in the past, none have ever caused my bike to cut out.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 07 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:21 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
Does your bike have pair valves fitted? Along with the hole, they could be helping the backfiring.

I don't know sorry, I think the whole exhaust system is stock. Here's the offending hole, it is bigger than it was a couple of weeks ago:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/philr46/DSC_1607_zps6fvxaxsz.jpg
____________________
CBF125 (2013) -> CBR600F (2001) -> 'Ninja' 300 (2014)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:01 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say its a different issue entirely.

Whats your idle speed, how is your choke...if you have carbs Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 07 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'd say its a different issue entirely.

Whats your idle speed, how is your choke...if you have carbs Laughing

Before service I think it was 2.5Ks, post-service it’s more like 1k RPM when sat in neutral. Apparently they did something to the pipe which feeds unused fuel back into the engine. It’s fuel injected, thankfully.

Thanks Vincent, that sounds very ominous Sad I don’t really know what I’m doing so will book it in for pipe fitting and see what they make of the whole thing.
____________________
CBF125 (2013) -> CBR600F (2001) -> 'Ninja' 300 (2014)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:43 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'd say its a different issue entirely.

Whats your idle speed, how is your choke...if you have carbs Laughing


What I was thinking.

Just had a service? I wonder if they adjusted your idle and set it a little low. Should be somewhere around 1300 - 1400 when it's good and warm.

EDIT - 1000 rpm is too low Thumbs Up
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carvel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 revs is probably a little low, mine idles around 1500 revs.

The cutting out is nothing to do with the exhaust, I rode mine around the isle of wight with it sounding like a tractor Razz

It sounds to me like they haven't seated a plug cap properly or something has been disturbed when they've had it in bits.
____________________
2002 Aprilia RSV1000R, Cbr600Fs, Mk1 B12, Vfr400 NC30...

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.73 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 63.16 Kb