Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Modern world or Victorian Britain? which for you?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ye Olde or Ye Newey?
Ahhh the great days of empire thats the one for me!!
30%
 30%  [ 17 ]
No way i wanna stay here right now!!
69%
 69%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 55

Author Message

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Modern world or Victorian Britain? which for you? Reply with quote

So which word do you think you would do better in? Our contemporary society or back in ye olde Victorian Britain?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:23 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folded arms Folded arms Nah. Folded arms Folded arms

I'd end up being about the Dickensian equivalent of Nancy from Oliver Twist Rolling Eyes

The twenty-first century might be irritating in a lot of ways, but I think I prefer now rather than then.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:56 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Re: Modern world or Victorian Britain? which for you? Reply with quote

stupid question is stupid
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:41 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Victorians had moist towelettes; I think it would displease me cleaning my bottom with an urchin.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:47 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did have cholera, tuberculosis, MMR, smallpox, polio and many other horrible diseases that would today be immunised against or treated with antibiotics.

sounds like a right laugh
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:57 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I don't think the Victorians had moist towelettes; I think it would displease me cleaning my bottom with an urchin.


They would be oh so cheap though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

someotherguy
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Aug 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:16 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things today are better than yesterday, but not quite as good as they'll be tomorrow.

It's been that way since the dawn of time.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:34 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the Regency era, as long as I was rich, could handle that.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:34 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as I was a gentleman of means, I could be Edwardian, cos motorbikes.

Also, tear up everywhere until about 1931 too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I don't think the Victorians had moist towelettes; I think it would displease me cleaning my bottom with an urchin.
Whilst that does sound exciting and exotic, don't they sting?
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wodge
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 11 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:58 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
As long as I was a gentleman of means, I could be Edwardian, cos motorbikes.

Also, tear up everywhere until about 1931 too.


that is of course assuming you hadn't been massacred between 1914/1918 as so many of the gentlemen of the day were. The survival rate of young officers in WW1 was truly horrific.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:41 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

wodge wrote:
thx1138 wrote:
As long as I was a gentleman of means, I could be Edwardian, cos motorbikes.

Also, tear up everywhere until about 1931 too.


that is of course assuming you hadn't been massacred between 1914/1918 as so many of the gentlemen of the day were. The survival rate of young officers in WW1 was truly horrific.


Now I'm no history expert but didn't the Edwardian era technically end before WW1, somewhere around 1910?
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I don't think the Victorians had moist towelettes; I think it would displease me cleaning my bottom with an urchin.

Keep them hungry and they have plenty of saliva.


duhawkz wrote:
They did have cholera, tuberculosis, MMR, smallpox, polio and many other horrible diseases that would today be immunised against or treated with antibiotics.

Give it a few years.

I'd have been OK strangling prostitutes as a repressed Victorian, but it would have been far more fun to be a Georgian. Two crossed dead Frenchmen emblazoned on a mound of dead Frenchmen, tally ho.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victorian times might of been ok if you were wealthy, but for a poor, no money pleb like me, Victorian times would of been shite.

Cant to be able to think of any Victorian motorbikes either Smile

Nah! I`ll stick with modern times thanks.
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

No zero hour contracts in Victorian Britain but all the poor people were kept out of the way in work houses. Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:42 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fantasy question, I get to pick my level of wealth and status.

Dibs on Imperial Proconsul of Ceylon.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's a fantasy question, I get to pick my level of wealth and status.

Dibs on Imperial Proconsul of Ceylon.


Nope you dont. Its really about how you think you with all your abilities or not would fare in Victorian Britain.

Look at it this way. If your in Human Resources now you will be doing quite well. Possibly an above average income and a reasonably comfortable lifestyle. Go back a hundred and twenty years and more likely you would be on your knees in an allyway knobchomping a toff.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuk u n ur rules, I get to be Victorian Batman.

https://orig12.deviantart.net/18f2/f/2008/083/d/7/d78b453f4a7da203.jpg
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
fuk u n ur rules, I get to be Victorian Batman


Well if we are playing that game I will be the Victorian Time Traveller off of the H. G. Wells novel and travel forward in time to live in the 21st century. Just about covers all the bases I think.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:17 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
fuk u n ur rules, I get to be Victorian Batman.



Uh oh steampunk alert! should have guessed by the Royal Enfield you'd be a closet top hat and goggles kinda guy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:22 - 17 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://susanhogben.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/snip20140613_161.png?w=717&h=479

BCF ride out 1863, rogerborg 3rd from left.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 17 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely these days.

Had I been born a bit ago, I wouldn't have even got to school. I'd have been sweeping chimneys or having my arms in looms because of my gangliness. Probably be dead by now too, what with my "arsthmaarr" (Reference to Lord of the Flies, there).

I managed to get to school/college/uni/post grad despite my societal underprivilege and into my first job earning more than anybody else in my family.

Modern world. And internal combustion engines. Yes please.
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 17 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Definitely these days.

Had I been born a bit ago, I wouldn't have even got to school. I'd have been sweeping chimneys or having my arms in looms because of my gangliness. Probably be dead by now too, what with my "arsthmaarr" (Reference to Lord of the Flies, there).


I wouldn't have made it to the chimney sweep level. Would have died of croup aged four. If I survived that, lamed by the leg infection that I had aged seven.
____________________
This post is probably not serious and shouldn't be taken literally.
Past: CBR125,ER6f NINJA 650, ZZR600 Current: VFR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:54 - 29 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a difference, or will be shortly?
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:33 - 29 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
Is there a difference, or will be shortly?


Hence the poll.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 129.96 Kb