Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Which should I get as a first bike a CBR600F or GSXR600?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Yammer5
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:52 - 05 May 2016    Post subject: Which should I get as a first bike a CBR600F or GSXR600? Reply with quote

Hi all

I've decided to bite the bullet and get my bike test.
I rode a scooter for a year, 20 years ago and have been driving cars ever since.
Ive currently got an old WRX as a second car but it's costing me a fortune for something I only drive occasionally.
I'm going to be a fair weather rider and fancy a sports bike, I had my heart set on a CBR600F, as I've only read good things about them and despite a 600 being a bit big for a first proper bike, people have said that they are pretty forgiving and great to ride.

However after seeing some YouTube videos of tank slappers, I really want a bike with a damper on and as far as I can tell, the older CBR's (early 2000's, I've only got about £2500) don't come with one and they are about £400 + whatever they cost to fit.
So someone mentioned that the GSXR's have dampers as standard, but I've heard scare stories about gixxers so I'd like some advice on what to do please.

Cheers

Jay


Last edited by Yammer5 on 01:58 - 06 May 2016; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 27 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:49 - 06 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to advise on which bike but I will say don't get bogged down with steering dampers. Unless you're pinning it off every corner you will rarely need a damper. Instead get your suspension set up properly which costs about £50 and either bike you choose will handle beautifully.
I've never had a damper on any bike I've owned but I do get my suspension set up and I never get a shaky head.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Yammer5
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:02 - 06 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
I definitely won't be pushing the bike for a long time, I just got concerned by some of the comments I read.
Some people were saying it can happen if you hit a pot hole or debris in the road while riding sensibly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:22 - 06 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop worrying is the best thing to do.

Get your license before trying to work out which sports 600 to buy and whether it should have a steering damper or not. Laughing

Many things could happen if you hit a pot hole or debris in the road while riding "sensibly". Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:38 - 06 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest solution would be to stop watching those videos.

Try them both, riding them on the roads and in the manner that you intend to ride them once you own them, pick whichever one you like better, buy a good example of it, done.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

baderlfc
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:05 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was set on a GSXR-600 for my first big bike, i test rode a 2011 model they had in CMC motorcycles in newport to get a feel for the bike, i absolutely loved it but rather sensibly thought it could be a bit too much for a first bike.

I instead bought a CBR600FS which has PLENTY of power for a novice rider. I intend on getting a gixxer next year, giving myself 12-18 months to gain some experience on a big bike before going to the much more focused super sports.

The CBR600 is more of an all rounder where as the gixxer is a proper super sports.. I know a bike will only go as fast as u make it go but the gixxer made me feel like i wanted to go faster than my current skills would make safe.

Another thing, depending on age of bike, the CBR600FS cost me £1350 as opposed to £4-5k i was budgetting for a 06-09 gixxer 6. Less money if you drop it, not that i intend to but you never know!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding for almost 10 years now and I don't fanny about when riding. I've hit pot holes, drain covers, animals, pedestrians and rubbish over the years, to name but a few.

I can count the time I've had a bit of a shake from the bars on one hand, and I've never once had a proper out of control tank slapper.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.73 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 52.85 Kb