Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Petrol Station told me to get off the bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Dav1son
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Petrol Station told me to get off the bike. Reply with quote

Not in a confontantional way. However the nice Tesco lady came over the tannoy and then to my face.
Told me I couldn't be served petrol until my pillion and myself were off the bike.
Gave me some bull' that it's a law etc.

Didn't care about my helmet or anything but I had to be stood next to the bike in case it apparently spontaneously combusted.

Anyone else ever heard of this? If I wasn't desperate I would have just left.
____________________
Future: ....
Present: GSXR-750 L0
Past: ZX10R C2H, TL1000R, CBR400 NC29, GPR50RR/RS50
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have heard of it, not happened to me though, by 'nice lady' you mean hot.

I would have got off, let them authorize the pump and then sat on it and continued filling.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:00 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do some people get their knickers twisted over this?
____________________
Honda Varadero >> Triumph Speed Four >> Honda CBR1100xx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dav1son
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't tell me to evacuate my car when I fill that up.
Also I like having the bike upright so I can squeeze every last drop of liquid to the brim.

It's something I have never heard and a fairly odd request.
____________________
Future: ....
Present: GSXR-750 L0
Past: ZX10R C2H, TL1000R, CBR400 NC29, GPR50RR/RS50
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Petrol Station told me to get off the bike. Reply with quote

I fill up with my helmet on, sitting on the bike so I can have it upright to get more in. I do fear that I'll one day be told I can't do it. My regular petrol stations seem ok so far though.

Dav1son wrote:
the nice Tesco lady came over the tannoy and then to my face.


Wife material.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jpmiller
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 21 Mar 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too I always sit on bike to keep it upright, I do take off my helmet but only for comfort and ease.
Never been told to get off.
If I was I would want to see proper reason why.
Not just go by what staff say.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's duty of care.
It is dangerous, careless, foolish, lazy-ish to not get off the fucking bike.

As an employee, if you see an unsafe act you own it. That is a corporate policy of a lot of companies.

If there is an incident and negligence can be proved then the company can be held liable.

If it was my petrol station, I would tell staff not to activate the pump in that case.
Let them fuck off somewhere else for their 10 litres.

You can fill a bike to the top without having it vertical.

Filling till it splutters out the filler neck is also not wise as the cold fuel expands in the warm tanks (from the hot engine) and will be forced out the overflow.
Where is the saving again?

Just sayin'.
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Hefty
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

God.i wrote:
I would of played fuck and refused to move until either the cops showed up..


Then im guessing you'd ride off, middle finger raised high.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

God.i wrote:
I would of played fuck and refused to move until either the cops showed up or the pump was turned on. Stupid cow.


You have nothing better to be doing with your life?

Depending on how much I needed the fuel I would have gone elsewhere, or complied, then never gone back. Meh frankly.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Get a few more litres in most of my bikes with it upright. When commuting a long way that was the difference between filling up once or twice a day.

If they are going to get arsey about it then I will go elsewhere. Not just on the bike but in the car afterwards. And in the case of Tesco the reason I don't shop there.

All the best

Katy
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 16 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bum some bitch into the middle of next week about that shit and I don't care whom.
____________________
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 16 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bum some bitch into the middle of next week about that shit and I don't care whom.
____________________
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centre stands ftw
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I tested this theory of filling the tank to the brim.... or as close as I dared anyway.... a short distance later I stopped and put the bike on the side stand and went in to the shop and came out to a puddle of petrol that had come out the overflow.

I've never felt the need to sit on the bike to get an extra 50p of petrol in there..... but then I fill up regardless when I get to 100 miles and usually end up putting about £8-9 anyway
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dav1son wrote:
They don't tell me to evacuate my car when I fill that up.


Confused Thinking
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:21 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day someone will use search on here, but not today.
____________________
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichy wrote:
One day someone will use search on here, but not today.


You're a liar and a baaffoon Sir.

I used search on here today. Folded arms

Very Happy
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it happen to me once only.

I had just started to fill up when the pump was cut off. The female assistant was doing her best Marcel Marceau impression at me through the glass window, to try and get across what the problem was (there was either no working tannoy system or she was too dumb to operate it).

In the end I had to go inside the garage to see what the problem was, I expected it to be a helmet thing tbh. Anyway, I was quite surprised to be told that I wasn't allowed to fill up while sitting on the bike. Confused

I even explained to her the reasons why many bikers do this (so they can fill it to the brim, as being leant over on the side stand prevents this). She was having none of it.

Ended up asking how much I owed (was something like £3.09), handed that amount over and rode down the road to the asda garage and filled up there instead. I refuse to go to that garage ever since (that'll teach 'em) Folded arms but, out of all the petrol stationdls I've ever used, I've never been told that before or since.
____________________
There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ajo
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 23 Mar 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it's clearly so that on the off chance that somehow your fuel ignites, you can at least run away faster than if you were sat on a bike being engulfed by flames and then tesco dealing with a massive negligence claim
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajo wrote:
Surely it's clearly so that on the off chance that somehow your fuel ignites, you can at least run away faster than if you were sat on a bike being engulfed by flames and then tesco dealing with a massive negligence claim


Let the bastarts burn.

In Hell... Mad

Very Happy
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dav1son
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:42 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Petrol Station told me to get off the bike. Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Wife material.


Maybe, though i did have mine already on the bike, so didn't look close enough. Next time Shocked

I filled up at this place not 3weeks ago and had no issue then.

In hindsight maybe it's not a big deal, however the time taken to get Us both off the bike and then back on......
Pfft that's 30 seconds (maybe more) or unadulterated biking fun I'm missing on.

Do the maths for that every 100miles. Could be upto 10minutes a year of standing in a petrol station.
____________________
Future: ....
Present: GSXR-750 L0
Past: ZX10R C2H, TL1000R, CBR400 NC29, GPR50RR/RS50
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these petrol stations are so concerned with our safety, they'd be getting their staff to get up off their ass and clean up all the spilt petrol and diesel off the forecourt, as having an accident because your tyres covered in this is far more likely than your bike suddenly bursting into flames while filling up.
____________________
There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy
Traffic Copper



Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:55 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use pay at pump. Our local ASDA petrol station is unmanned (it doesn't have a kiosk) so theres's nobody to moan at me anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 08 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only good boy who gets off the bike and takes my helmet off? Smile

Means I spend longer on the forecourt faffing about putting my gloves and lid back on but there you go...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 127.42 Kb