Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Rubber for a zx6r?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Rubber for a zx6r? Reply with quote

I've had dunny roadsmarts in the past on a cbr600f, they were decent.

Any recommendations for new rubber?

Sports touring would be preferred, double or triple compound.

Ta.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

noobRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:21 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend PR4s but the consensus on the EuroJolly ZX crowd was that PR3s were better
____________________
Licence: Nov 2012, Bikes: Suzuki GN125, Moto Guzzi Strada 750, Triumph Sprint ST 955i x 2
AnPhonEh: I need plans, I need contingency plans also, I need back up contingency plans
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:32 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shock horror. Snoosnoo arrives to recommend Avon Storm Ultra 2...

I've been using these for years (not the same set) through all the weathers and I'm still alive. I feel confidence in cold temperatures and the wet. I also get very good mileage out of them on the old ZZR.
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J4mes
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 3rd set of BT023's on the Thundercat, always been very pleased with them in all conditions.

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:56 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a sport touring tyre then PR3. They are better in every way than the Storm Ultra 2s which I have on the ZX12 purely due to not being able to get a decent tyre in a 200 width.

Why sport touring? Unless you are bashing out thousands of motorway miles and riding in the wet what you really need are a set of Pilot Power 2CTs. I had them on the ZX7 and now have them on the ZX6. Excellent tyres Thumbs Up
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sportec M7RR Thumbs Up Very good all rounder.
____________________
I want your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle.
Suzuki GP125 Suzuki GSX600F Suzuki SV650S KTM EXC250F SkyTeam Bongo 125
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/SnowdoniaRider
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, and undoubtedly below when more reply - Any of the PR2-4 sounds ideal.

I'm liking the PR3 on my CBR600f so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stonesie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metzeler Roadtec 01, They are getting rave reviews and these will be my next hoops on the Multistrada...
Not really a fan of it's current PR4's and the front is cupped/scalloped despite sticking to the recommended pressures.


https://youtu.be/EzcgeHLZMvw
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:17 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my second pair of Pirelli Diablo Strada's - very good value if you're really on a budget as you can get sets for £115-120 quid quite easily. No complaints about them and they do get very good mileage.

That being said though, i'll probably pay the additional £60 or so for a set of PR3's next time round as they seem to last a lot of people even longer, so I think pounds-per-mile, particularly if you're doing a lot of motorway miles etc they're better value if you can fork out the extra initial cost.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wristjob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
Metzeler Roadtec 01, They are getting rave reviews and these will be my next hoops on the Multistrada...
Not really a fan of it's current PR4's and the front is cupped/scalloped despite sticking to the recommended pressures.


https://youtu.be/EzcgeHLZMvw


ive got one of these being delivered today.
not based on a review paid for by metzeler.
based on i love the m7rr but need something that will do a few more miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobRider wrote:
I'd recommend PR4s but the consensus on the EuroJolly ZX crowd was that PR3s were better


Jeez, I can't bloody win! Rolling Eyes

I've just gone to the 4s from many thousands of miles on PR2s. I never found fault with the 2s, but changed hoping for some extra mileage. Done a couple of thousand miles on the 4s, and found no problems so far, but not used them in the wet yet.

Why was the consensus that the 3s are better? In what way? The other reason I went to the 4s is cos I've read that the 3s can feel a little squirmy. Oh, and don't bother with the delaminating shock-horror story, unless you have evidence it's proving to be common.
____________________
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR3's are the shizzle on my 1100 which gives tyres a stern test as well as having notoriously finicky handling and steering.
____________________
Be a REAL MAN!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:00 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, PR3s.

Always PR3s.












What are PR4s like?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

noobRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:01 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Why was the consensus that the 3s are better? In what way? The other reason I went to the 4s is cos I've read that the 3s can feel a little squirmy.

One of my sons went from PR3s to PR4s on his ZX10R and has found them planted in the wet but doesn't like them as much in the dry. I'm trying to remember what he said. I think he found the 4s more squirmy. They feel great to me. The jolly crowd definitely thought the 3s beat the 4s, I can't remember the logic, maybe just because they think the 4s aren't worth the extra money. The 4s should last longer.

I'm thinking that the difference is marginal and it's all a bit subjective.
____________________
Licence: Nov 2012, Bikes: Suzuki GN125, Moto Guzzi Strada 750, Triumph Sprint ST 955i x 2
AnPhonEh: I need plans, I need contingency plans also, I need back up contingency plans
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobRider wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Why was the consensus that the 3s are better? In what way? The other reason I went to the 4s is cos I've read that the 3s can feel a little squirmy.

One of my sons went from PR3s to PR4s on his ZX10R and has found them planted in the wet but doesn't like them as much in the dry. I'm trying to remember what he said. I think he found the 4s more squirmy. They feel great to me. The jolly crowd definitely thought the 3s beat the 4s, I can't remember the logic, maybe just because they think the 4s aren't worth the extra money. The 4s should last longer.

I'm thinking that the difference is marginal and it's all a bit subjective.


Seems to me that all the PR range are good tyres then, and as you say, probably just a bit of subjectivity from different riders. The 4s seem every bit as good in the dry as I had come to rely on the 2s to be. Haven't felt any squirminess on the 4s either.
____________________
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Albigularis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Why sport touring? Unless you are bashing out thousands of motorway miles and riding in the wet what you really need are a set of Pilot Power 2CTs. I had them on the ZX7 and now have them on the ZX6. Excellent tyres Thumbs Up


Sport Touring tyres offer enough grip to get your knee down on any country road, any more grip is simply wasted on the road. With that in mind, a tyre designed for touring is going to last longer. Might as well get the most miles for the money surely?

Didn't like the PR4s myself, they felt really stiff and lacked feel compared to the PR3s.

I have Angel STs on the Busa and they are amazing in the dry and very good in the wet. In the dry, they felt great even doing proper end-of-6th-gear motorway stuff. I didn't expect a lot from them but they've really impressed me.
____________________
Biking history so far-
Aprilia RS125 - Kawasaki ZXR400 - Triumph Street Triple R - Suzuki GSXR1000 L3 - BMW R1200GS - Kawasaki Z1000 - Kawasaki ZX10R C1H - Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring - Suzuki Hayabusa
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:


Didn't like the PR4s myself, they felt really stiff and lacked feel compared to the PR3s.



It definitely is subjective then, because I haven't noticed this; not over the 2s, which I loved, anyway. Perhaps it also depends on what bike you put them on?
____________________
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found the PR4 a bit more vague in the dry compared to the PR3. PR4 is better in the wet though. Both good tyres
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:
any more grip is simply wasted on the road.

Until you go over a grubby white line with a bit too much power on.
Then you find an Avon can't cope with that sort of situation and your watching from the ground hoping you don't follow your bike into the cow field.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:34 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR3's
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Albigularis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:50 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Albigularis wrote:
any more grip is simply wasted on the road.

Until you go over a grubby white line with a bit too much power on.
Then you find an Avon can't cope with that sort of situation and your watching from the ground hoping you don't follow your bike into the cow field.


If it's dry, those lines aren't so bad. If you're riding parallel to them/along them then you're riding shitty lines anyway surely? I can only imagine it being a problem at high lean angles in which case you should be nowhere near the lines anyway. Regardless, I would rather spend my money on a PR3/4 instead of a Supercorsa and get an extra 6k miles from it, than sacrifice that life just for a 1% confidence boost when hooning along white lines in the road...
____________________
Biking history so far-
Aprilia RS125 - Kawasaki ZXR400 - Triumph Street Triple R - Suzuki GSXR1000 L3 - BMW R1200GS - Kawasaki Z1000 - Kawasaki ZX10R C1H - Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring - Suzuki Hayabusa
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:
[
If it's dry, those lines aren't so bad.

With Avons, a blade of grass blown on to the road can be deadly!

And yes, if you're riding safely with good observation and throttle control, you'll be fine.
But not everyone is perfect, so many like to have an extra safety net.

My point wasn't specifically towards white lines, but that you may at some point push the limits of traction unintentionally.

Supercorsas wouldn't give me a particular confidence boost over decent road tyres. They only have the massive grip they're capable of when fully warmed up*.
I often used them on the road because they're available cheaply and regularly second hand (often because I had some sitting around).

*Though I was twice out on cold Pirelli race slicks the other day and they were fine at a moderately spirited warm up pace from cold, despite the particularly dire warnings about them. Wasn't a cold day however.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said this before.

Bridgestone S20 EVO.

The S20s are virtually as grippy as the road compound versions of Supercorsas/Racetecs, but they work much better from cold, and work well in the wet. I've run through about 6/7 sets on four different bikes now (SP-1, 2015 R1, Ducati SF1100, Aprilia RSV-R), and despite regular hand-fisted exuberance, I haven't had a single (unexpected) grip failure. By contrast, the PR2s that came fitted to the SP-2 are completely lacking in feel and confidence, especially at moderate-high lean.

They should last well on a 600 (2500-4000 miles to a rear?).

And since they've been superseded, they're very cheap. £140-150 a pair from Oponeo/Tyreleader. Bargain!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume the S20 is the latest equivalent of the 010, rather than the rather lackluster 020? (Sports rather than sports touring.)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 143 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.65 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.17 Kb