Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Armour upgrade, yes or no?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

HondaPaul
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 25 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:17 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Armour upgrade, yes or no? Reply with quote

I recently treated myself to some new leathers. I ripped the side of my jacket open on two screws sticking out of a door frame during a toilet break. How stupid did I feel. I have had them for a while and I fancied an upgrade anyway. I went with the RST blade jacket and trousers. all seems well so far but I am wondering if I should/need to upgrade the armour. as far as I know the armour is just RST contour plus which is an elastic memory foam. is there any need for armour that is memory foam with a hard outer shell? if so does anyone have any recommendations for armour that will fit all the pockets of my RST blade jacket and trousers?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:47 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RST armour is quite heavy, but seems decent enough quality.
Forcefield stuff is better though, lighter and cooler. That 3DO stuff seems well thought of. Got a couple of jackets with knox hard armour pieces, but that can break pretty easily. It is pretty light weight though.
____________________
Currently enjoying products from Ford, Mazda and Yamaha
Ste wrote: Avatars are fine, it's signatures that need turning off. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't RST do their own upgraded armour?
____________________
I want your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle.
Suzuki GP125 Suzuki GSX600F Suzuki SV650S KTM EXC250F SkyTeam Bongo 125
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/SnowdoniaRider
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's CE and comfortable I'd stick with what is there. Hard armour tends to dig in and be uncomfortable. The best type of armour (IMO) is soft armour that doesn't stay permanently deformed after an impact like Hein Gericke Hiprotec armour, but there isn't a lot of that around these days with HG UK going under.

Excellent armour is no good if it's uncomfortable, or if it will shift in an accident and dig in. So mediocre soft armour is always better than excellent hard armour in my opinion. The same is true for back protectors. I've heard many stories of 'hard' back protectors shifting in impacts and actually doing more damage than they save. That's why I have a CE foam back protector in each of my jackets and leathers.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably right, the few rst bits I've had have had 'contour plus' it was CE1 whatever that means. Question
____________________
Currently enjoying products from Ford, Mazda and Yamaha
Ste wrote: Avatars are fine, it's signatures that need turning off. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:54 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the textile version of both the jacket and trousers and find the amour to be sufficient, ok I've never had a spill, but I certainly don't feel that it has any weaknesses. Always stayed in place during a ride, doesn't move around and covers (and hopefully protects) the areas its design to. I've certainly used jackets with worse stock armour than RST. I'm sure there's better out there on the market for protection but that also means more budget whereas RST (from what I've gathered) is reasonable middle ground currently. I'd just ride on happy as Larry with your purchase. Oh, the only upgrade that may be possible is to purchase some hip armour for the trousers, you probably wont know the pockets are there if you haven't looked but it's something to buy if you've got money you want to spend.

You could go full race mode and get the RST Trachtech Evo II jacket. I may own one. One day thou shall tuck in on the slowpoke tiddler and make noises inside the helmet simulating that of faster speeds than 31mph in a 30 zone. Laughing Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

HondaPaul
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 25 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:35 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did consider the tractech evo 2 jacket and trousers, but I managed to get a good deal on mine. The trousers were just over half price brand new, although I can't remember the original price. the jacket was just under half price too, bought from a friend who had worn it once because it was too tight for him. the jacket fits like a dream, although finding a pair of comfortable gloves to fit over the sleeves was tricky. in the end I went with a pair of RST stunt 2 gloves which I got a good deal on too. the trousers are a little tight on the thighs and a little loose on the waist as I find myself between a 32 and a 34. I was advised to go for the 34. which isn't too much of a problem with the pants zipped to the jacket.

Thanks again for the advice guys, and sorry for the long winded post.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 20 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:55 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got.armoured jeans and jacket, couldn't even tell you what make they are but I've done about 14,000 miles in the last year in them.

Didn't even know you could buy aftermarket armour, if you come off, which I have, then the pads will move anyway, so.i wouldn't worry about what you have, just make sure you have something.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:52 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
if it's CE and comfortable I'd stick with what is there. Hard armour tends to dig in and be uncomfortable. The best type of armour (IMO) is soft armour that doesn't stay permanently deformed after an impact like Hein Gericke Hiprotec armour, but there isn't a lot of that around these days with HG UK going under.


I've got that rubbery HG hiprotec in a couple pairs of trousers and one jacket. I thinks it's great stuff - flexible, and very comfortable.
My other jacket has whatever CE stuff was in it when I got it. I was intending to change it out for the hiprotec, but having worn it a few times I've found the armour fits very well and is giving me no reason to change.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My RST blade jacket pocket seam ripped open the first time I wore the jacket. The neoprene + velcro wrist cuffs cut into my wrist too and was most uncomfortable.

I took it back and bought Alpinestars. Much better armour in there and so much more comfortable.
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Honda CD 250 > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda CBR 600RR > Yamaha RXS 100 > Kawasaki ZX6R J2 > Yamaha FZ1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

HondaPaul
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 25 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be any benefit of replacing the level 1 armour in my jacket with level 2 armour?
its lighter and offers better protection than level 1 without needing the hard outer shell, as far as I have been able to find out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.29 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 71.47 Kb