Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Knees pains on long journeys

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Knees pains on long journeys Reply with quote

Have been doing some longer trips lately and am finding after a couple of hundred miles the insides of my knee joints are complaining. Even the day after.

Is it something I'm doing on the bike? Riding too tense? I have been making an effort to stay loose on the bars but you're supposed to hug the tank a bit with your legs right?
____________________
Honda CB500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:23 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just relax. Maybe try some new rear sets that are lower down.

What bike do you ride?
____________________
Current Bikes: BMW K1200S
Previous: Honda CBR929RR, Honda CBR1100XX, Honda CB600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing CB500S.

I know all you racebikers will think it's laughably upright, but I do have to note that the peg position is still a little behind the knees, which I just can't be doing with any more.

Both my current rides have natural legs-dangling sitting positions rather than any sort of instep-behind-knees, which is a big factor in why I've not managed to find anything to replace them with. Everything I try now just feels pointlessly awkward and uncomfortable, even a Bandit 600. I'm not racing, why do I need to brace my feet?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes your trousers bundle up behind the knee to the extent it might interfere with blood flow or press on a tendon.
Test riding naked would resolve this. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm guessing CB500S.

I know all you racebikers will think it's laughably upright, but I do have to note that the peg position is still a little behind the knees, which I just can't be doing with any more.

Both my current rides have natural legs-dangling sitting positions rather than any sort of instep-behind-knees, which is a big factor in why I've not managed to find anything to replace them with. Everything I try now just feels pointlessly awkward and uncomfortable, even a Bandit 600. I'm not racing, why do I need to brace my feet?


This, this, THIS.
Although I would add I just found recently that the Bandit is still infinitely more comfortable than the CB500.
____________________
The above post is most likely nonsensical.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop for a 2/3 min. break and walk a little bit every hour or so.
It may affect your concentration like cold hands do. Smile
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to suffer with my knees on the R125. I put it down to the riding position of (don't laugh now) sports bikes. I've ever had this issue on the YBR or er6f.
____________________
There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:09 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sat on a CBR600ManyRRRRs in a shop, I have no idea how people can ride those things any distance, felt like a jockey!

I'd love a taller 'adventure' style bike but it's not on the cards at the moment. And I've realised I'm really riding tense on unfamiliar roads. Just can't relax! Confused
____________________
Honda CB500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:21 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually liked the sports bike position of riding tbh. I felt more at one with the machine, if that makes sense. It's just not as comfortable over longer journeys or as you get older.
____________________
There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Albigularis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:01 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm not racing, why do I need to brace my feet?


It keeps the weight where it's supposed to be. Bike feels more stable (especially when windy) and will feel lighter and easier to handle at low speeds. Most large bikes like the GS' end up with riders leaning on the handlebars which isn't a good thing.

Sports riding position makes sense after a week or so of ownership, you naturally fall into it, it means you can feel the bike much better, sets you up perfectly for fast riding etc... For a while you have to actively contort yourself to ride like that, but it becomes second nature.

FlightRisk wrote:
I'd love a taller 'adventure' style bike but it's not on the cards at the moment. And I've realised I'm really riding tense on unfamiliar roads. Just can't relax! Confused


Does your bike have heel plates? If so, wedge your feet down against them and the peg together so that they stay fairly well put without input. Less lateral movement needed at the knee from the pelvis should stop pain the whole way down. Make sure you're keeping your feet straight as well.
____________________
Biking history so far-
Aprilia RS125 - Kawasaki ZXR400 - Triumph Street Triple R - Suzuki GSXR1000 L3 - BMW R1200GS - Kawasaki Z1000 - Kawasaki ZX10R C1H - Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring - Suzuki Hayabusa
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:22 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Knees pains on long journeys Reply with quote

FlightRisk wrote:
Have been doing some longer trips lately and am finding after a couple of hundred miles the insides of my knee joints are complaining. Even the day after.


You can get lowering pegs to fit the stock footrest mounts that will let you unbend your knees a bit, it doesn't take much. I don't know if you'll have much luck finding rearsets let alone ones with sufficient adjustment.

clicky

I'm had the same issue on a few different sports bikes over the years, I've rarely had any issues with clip on bars, but many bikes bend my legs so much I can't really move them and it becomes really painful fairly quickly. In fact, I've just bought adjustable rearsets for the GSXR so I can drop the pegs a bit.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:00 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:
Sports riding position makes sense after a week or so of ownership, you naturally fall into it, it means you can feel the bike much better, sets you up perfectly for fast riding etc...

But I don't do that, and someone doing long distances (presumably many motorway miles) on a CB500 isn't likely to be doing it either.

I understand the benefits if you're banging it through the bends or making the jump to light-speed, but OP's problem is comfort, not lap times.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 20 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:07 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Albigularis wrote:
Sports riding position makes sense after a week or so of ownership, you naturally fall into it, it means you can feel the bike much better, sets you up perfectly for fast riding etc...

But I don't do that, and someone doing long distances (presumably many motorway miles) on a CB500 isn't likely to be doing it either.

I understand the benefits if you're banging it through the bends or making the jump to light-speed, but OP's problem is comfort, not lap times.


This is why I bought my Deauville.

It may look boring but for eating up miles in comfort and carrying all my stuff with me I can't fault it, just the thought of doing 80 miles a day on a sports bike makes my back ache!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:44 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doink wrote:


This is why I bought my Deauville.



After doing the chain cleaning and fiddling thing today I was thinking about switching to a Deauville. And maybe get a white Arai, and a high-vis parka and join rospa and try to start conversations with people about the vanishing point.
I'm not the biker I thought I'd be. Confused
____________________
Honda CB500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 20 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlightRisk wrote:
Doink wrote:


This is why I bought my Deauville.



After doing the chain cleaning and fiddling thing today I was thinking about switching to a Deauville. And maybe get a white Arai, and a high-vis parka and join rospa and try to start conversations with people about the vanishing point.
I'm not the biker I thought I'd be. Confused


I thought about getting a Honda CB500, until I blew one away today that couldn't keep up with me after assuming I'm one of those guys.

Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doink wrote:
I thought about getting a Honda CB500, until I blew one away today that couldn't keep up with me after assuming I'm one of those guys.

Smile


To be fair though, anyone who buys a cb500 thinking it's one of the faster sports bikes is an idiot.
____________________
The above post is most likely nonsensical.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 129 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.94 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 94.28 Kb