Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Wrist friendly bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:07 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Wrist friendly bikes? Reply with quote

So I've had wrist problems for over 2 years now, but my commute's short enough that I normally don't experience anything other than discomfort when riding.

However yesterday I had to go back into work after I got home, my throttle wrist started hurting quite badly on the way back, then coming home again it was so bad I was struggling to use the front brake Shocked That's only 18 miles in total...

So what bikes would be easier on the wrists? I'm thinking probably not a single, the vibrations aren't that bad but can't be helping, nicer fueling so your throttle wrist gets a slightly easier time, and a light clutch? Any recommendations?

tl;dr f**ked wrists, need an invalid bike with light controls, probably a twin Sleeping or IL4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an everyday commute would it be worth a large scooter

Burgman has a nice seat not vibey and no clutch to worry about

Alsono pressure on wrists as you don't lean when sat on it
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
For an everyday commute would it be worth a large scooter

I have considered a scootay, SH300 or sportcity, but I think it was G that pointed out you still have a heavy rear brake you're using a lot.

ZX-7R wrote:
Sounds like you need a medical examination rather than a new bike as that is not normal.

NHS physio said I didn't have the normal symptoms of an RSI or wrist injury, I got given some wanky exercises to do which did nothing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:15 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine doesn't matter, the riding position does. Generally, sports bikes obviously wont do and even most sports tourers are too leaning forward. Not always, but usually hydraulic clutches have a lighter, smoother action.

Maybe a trip to the GP would be an idea if you got instant pain/discomfort?
____________________
I want your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle.
Suzuki GP125 Suzuki GSX600F Suzuki SV650S KTM EXC250F SkyTeam Bongo 125
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/SnowdoniaRider
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:55 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1200 Bandit has a lovely light clutch and is easy on the wrists.

However, you ride an MT-03, and as others have said you shouldn't be getting massive wrist pain over those distances. Carpal tunnel syndrome from work?
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

someotherguy
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Aug 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
wanky exercises


Laughing

You should end up with a right arm like Schwarzenegger Mr. Green

https://youtu.be/sdE0bm0TMkI
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:14 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

under_rated wrote:
The engine doesn't matter, the riding position does. Generally, sports bikes obviously wont do and even most sports tourers are too leaning forward. Not always, but usually hydraulic clutches have a lighter, smoother action.

My preference's for upright bikes anyway, but it's a good point. I had a CBF1000 for a couple of months, and despite being the easiest to ride and most comfortable bike I've ever been on, that really did my wrists in. Clutch was hydraulic and not particularly light as you say.

Matt B wrote:

However, you ride an MT-03, and as others have said you shouldn't be getting massive wrist pain over those distances. Carpal tunnel syndrome from work?

It was caused by an activity at work, possibly having a wrist breaker 125 at the time contributed, but it started in the right wrist then when I started using my left more I got it there as well.

I wear wrist supports at work and when cycling, driving, but not when on the motorbike. They don't really fit well under gloves, and I'm worried about coming off with big bits of metal strapped to your wrists Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socket wrote:
I've also read that renthal 758's are worthy upgrade for comfort.

Got these on my bike:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/oLUAAOSwEK9TvRv0/s-l300.jpg

They're comfortable, also makes the clutch easier to use as it's not such a reach.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, you seem to have tried a lot already without much luck.

What about something like one of Honda's DCT bikes? One less action for you to do without having to use the clutch.
____________________
I want your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle.
Suzuki GP125 Suzuki GSX600F Suzuki SV650S KTM EXC250F SkyTeam Bongo 125
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/SnowdoniaRider
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 20 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some kind of wrist wrap?

Back in my powerlifting days I used wrist wraps for heavy bench pressing and overhead pressing, might be worth looking into as light wraps will cost you £10-20 for your purposes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

under_rated wrote:
What about something like one of Honda's DCT bikes? One less action for you to do without having to use the clutch.

Had a look into semi-auto's, the Honda offerings and also Aprilia do one as well iirc. Nothing really appealed to me and it all looked rather expensive* Unless I'm doing huge amounts of filtering the clutch hand isn't too much of an issue, I think with a lighter clutch I might not have any.

*maybe a c90 step thru then? Very Happy

Doink wrote:
How about some kind of wrist wrap?

I've got some, used to wear them as they allow more flexibility than the support with the metal. Same issue really, fitting them under the gloves. I've got a new pair of summer gloves coming so might give them a go with that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Wrist friendly bikes? Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
So I've had wrist problems for over 2 years now, but my commute's short enough that I normally don't experience anything other than discomfort when riding.

However yesterday I had to go back into work after I got home, my throttle wrist started hurting quite badly on the way back, then coming home again it was so bad I was struggling to use the front brake Shocked That's only 18 miles in total...

So what bikes would be easier on the wrists? I'm thinking probably not a single, the vibrations aren't that bad but can't be helping, nicer fueling so your throttle wrist gets a slightly easier time, and a light clutch? Any recommendations?

tl;dr f**ked wrists, need an invalid bike with light controls, probably a twin Sleeping or IL4.


How do you sit on the bike? Do you lean on your arms? How hard do you grip? You should be light on the controls, and you should be totally relaxed in the upper body. You should be putting enough effort in ONLY to keep your body in the right position and nothing else. You should grip with your legs and hold yourself up with your core.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy
Traffic Copper



Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ this is what I was wondering. I used to get wrist ache when I first passed. I quickly learned to grip the tank with my legs and hold the handlebars with the lightest of grips. I don't get any bother now.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:00 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying (and using) one of these helped me : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Throttle-Rest-Cruise-Aid-Control-Cramp-Buster-Rocker-/141818475978?hash=item21050a35ca:g:aqkAAOSwo0JWOAkW
____________________
The above comment isn't necessarily the truth and anyone that says it is, is only correct if it's the truth or they're bigger than me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Fin This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

ScottT
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 17 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a thumb operated throttle like they used to fit to quads, no wrist movement might help.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Wrist friendly bikes? Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

How do you sit on the bike? Do you lean on your arms? How hard do you grip? You should be light on the controls, and you should be totally relaxed in the upper body. You should be putting enough effort in ONLY to keep your body in the right position and nothing else. You should grip with your legs and hold yourself up with your core.

I do grip the tank with my legs, and try to be as relaxed as possible on the bars. I had been riding for 9ish months before any symptoms started, and I'm 99.9% riding wasn't the cause, although whether it contributed is another matter. I remember once the problems started just the vibrations on my XR used to make my wrists hurt.

Interesting ideas re cramp buster and a thumb throttle. Dunno how well the cramp buster would work as I thought they were really meant for long journeys/maintaining a constant throttle. Will have a look at thumb throttles, can't say I really liked them on the quads I've ridden, but it might be an option Thumbs Up


Last edited by M.C on 21:45 - 28 May 2016; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lingeringstin...
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 01 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:45 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: wrist risk Reply with quote

Yes those thumb operated throttles look like they would work. I recently had one that came with a carb I bought but I couldn't really see the need for it so I gave it to somebody.

But here's something interesting. I fitted some dead straight handlebars to my bike about 25 years ago as a temporary measure and now I wouldn't have it any other way. There were two of them littering up the bike shop where I used to work and we figured they would never sell so my boss just gave them to me.

I cut one set up to become (temporary) struts where my shocks used to go (still there after all these years) and fitted the other one as normal. No risers or anything, just a straight bit of handlebar bolted right on where the old ones used to be..

It felt strange for a day or two and after that I really got used to them. Now anything else feels weird and uncomfortable. It sounds crazy but the dead straight bars are the most comfortable bars I've ever had now. I go hundreds of miles at a time without the least hand or wrist problem, and I remember occasionally having numb fingers and whatnot from normal bars back when I was a courier on better bikes.

The dead straight bars also improved my riding position and I never get backache on my hardtail because I lean forward instead of sit bolt upright with no rear suspension, and they make the steering feel way more stable.

I know it sounds all wrong but straight bars made a big difference with me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:13 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Wrist friendly bikes? Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Dunno how well the cramp buster would work as I thought they were really meant for long journeys/maintaining a constant throttle.

It means you don't need to grip it at all at times. My problem was back related where any pressure on my hands/wrists makes my fingers numb within 5 mins. I moved off a 'sports-tourer and onto a dual sport where I sat upright and that increased the time it took from 5 mins to 20 mins but didn't cure it entirely. My clutch hand doesn't need to hold the clutch all the time so I can wiggle my fingers which also means I put less weight on it, so it was effected less. With the throttle rest it does the same to my right hand, so less pressure on the wrist and I can wiggle my fingers a bit. Good on the odd stretch of straight road but not so useful in heavy traffic/filtering however it doesn't get in the way then either.
Although I still feel the numbness coming on sometimes I worked out that it happened when I slouch on the bike and provided I sit upright then it's no longer a problem.
IMO well worth a fiver.
____________________
The above comment isn't necessarily the truth and anyone that says it is, is only correct if it's the truth or they're bigger than me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:34 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a few quid give the cramp buster a go. I have arthritis in my right hand from where it got smashed up years ago, means I have reduced grip and get a lot if pain, especially in the cold. The cramp buster really helps because I can just rest on the throttle a lot of the time using my palm to move it.

What Renthal bars are those you have? I found the Ultra Lows on the Bandit gave a better angle than the OE ones.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:51 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there no conversion to swap the controls over on a bike so the throttle/brake is on the left?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:55 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Is there no conversion to swap the controls over on a bike so the throttle/brake is on the left?


https://www.nabd.org.uk/openhouse/openhouse43/43p8.htm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any kind of wrist issue on my FZ6, have you thought about trying one? The standard handlebars are shaped so that they're quite close together and come back at you and you've got no weight what so ever over them.

The clutch is also very light. If you went for a later model with the better brakes, an uprated MC should give you plenty of stopping power without the need to haul on the lever quite like I have to on pre facelift model.

It's a bike that I've never had any discomfort riding. Even the seat is nice as standard. It does however get a bit blowy on a naked bike if you're riding down the motorway all day. Other than that no complains....
____________________
CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 130 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.36 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.97 Kb