Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


new to liquid cooled engines

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:06 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: new to liquid cooled engines Reply with quote

Hello people,
Haven't been here for a while, as my bike was damaged in a theft attempt and I sold off the damaged machine. But I do plan to get a new one in a few months after I move, and it's my chance to move up from 125-250ccs (especially as I plan to move further out of town with more chances to go on fast carriageways. I noticed that above that size class, liquid cooled engines are much more common. What sort of additional maintenance do they require over air cooled engines? I've never owned any bikes with liquid cooled engines and I'd like to know how much extra work it involves. Thanks for the advice again!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on the coolant level, and change it completely every few years. That's it. Welcome to the modern age.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I prefer the simplicity of air cooled, single cylinder and this would still be good enough for low power bikes. But if the coolant only needs changing every few years then it's not much work (I can have it done at the same time as the MOT for example if I don't want to get my hands dirty). I think I can live with that...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much.

Keep an eye on the temperature gauge you want to note:

The fan to kick in now and again. If it doesn't kick in at 108C or so then there are electrical issues which you can resolve with a manual switch.

How fast the temperature rises. If it shoots up your coolant level might be low. On an naked bike this is easy on a faired bike this means removing fairings.

Change the coolant now and again as it separates and turns into a sludge if you keep it too long.

The only issue is if you need to tear the engine apart. The water jacket makes it more difficult.


In the longer term:

You need to check your radiator hoses for cracks and splits as they perish.

You also need to look at the jubilee clips as those rust to hell as well. I changed them every 2 years. It's £1-£2 so not a huge expense.

If it overheats quickly but coolant levels are fine you need to look at the radiator fins. Some people jet wash them which bends the fins. You shouldn't do this use air instead.

Finally over the super long term your radiator will simply corrode into aluminium powder. The paint always flakes off first. Then the radiator itself turns to powder. This takes years though but they leak after they go through enough time.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:40 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you clean the bike regularly with a jetwash, make sure you don't blast the radiator fins too much as it can bend them over and reduce cooling.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice people, in fact I had never been a great fan of jetwashing bikes, just feels like too likely to damage all the exposed parts (electrical and electronic especially).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be 6 months since I checked the coolant level on the Trophy Embarassed I'll have a look next time I'm in the garage.

If there is nothing on he floor under the bike I'm happy Thumbs Up
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It must be 6 months since I checked the coolant level on the Trophy Embarassed I'll have a look next time I'm in the garage.

If there is nothing on he floor under the bike I'm happy Thumbs Up


When did you change the middle spark plug? Wink
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thanks as well about the warning for corroded cooling systems--as decade old second hand big bikes are pretty common, this sort of wear and tear is definitely something to look out for.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

skatefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 31 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying this is how it should be done but I've not checked or changed anything coolant related on my CBR600 for years Embarassed.

Still goes like the clappers and runs fine.

May treat it to a coolant change one of these days Rolling Eyes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:04 - 31 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
I'm not saying this is how it should be done but I've not checked or changed anything coolant related on my CBR600 for years Embarassed.

Still goes like the clappers and runs fine.

May treat it to a coolant change one of these days Rolling Eyes.


+1

If the bike runs well I have never bothered doing anything with the coolant.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:26 - 31 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
It must be 6 months since I checked the coolant level on the Trophy Embarassed I'll have a look next time I'm in the garage.

If there is nothing on he floor under the bike I'm happy Thumbs Up


When did you change the middle spark plug? Wink


Never have on this bike. It's hidden somewhere under lots of plastic so that's what I pay Triumph for Laughing
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.53 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 76.2 Kb