Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Engine cutting out at lights and refuses to start!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

acarroll9
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 28 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Engine cutting out at lights and refuses to start! Reply with quote

Engine cuts out when coming to a full stop at traffic lights and then electrics suddenly refuse to work!!
Recently bought a Keeway Superlight 125, A seemingly amazing little learner legal bike! bought from a private seller and everything seemed perfectly fine when I bought it. While riding around I've noticed that the engine often cuts out If I've been coasting for awhile. It seemed innocent at first, The bike doesn't idle too well. But now the bike has started to refuse to start. The lights still work but the neutral light won't light up and the starter motor doesn't turn. In fact the neutral light dims and flickers while the engine starts. I thought that It was just because after stalling and the starter motor being used quite often the battery had been drained but actually red 12.75v on a volt meter. I adjusted the carb to be slightly richer as all signs pointed to the engine running kind of lean. and I've noticed that every day I ride it the electrical issues get worse and worse. When this happens if I leave the bike for a little bit, The neutral light will come back on and then the bike will start and run perfectly until coming to a full stop at traffic lights I'm not too familiar with motorbikes engines and electronics but that's pretty much everything I have noticed while riding. Can anybody help? Has anyone had any similar issues? Thanks!!
____________________
A CARROLL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:38 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what`s the voltage reading when pressing the starter button using the bike frame for earth / negative?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:51 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be just poor electrical connections but its difficult
to diagnose these things remotely.
I'd open, check and clean all connectors first, checking for corrosion and bad contacts.
____________________
bikers smell of wee
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

acarroll9
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 28 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have no idea, I don't have access to a VU meter right now but what should I be looking out for while trying that? and I've just taken the seat off, no sign of corrosion or bad connections under that, Still have yet to take off the side panels or even the tank. My worry is that it has quite a large petrol tank that could hide a multitude of sins! Thanks for the reply's, Ill get back as soon as possible with the results!
____________________
A CARROLL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

acarroll9
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 28 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that the neutral light gets considerably dimmer with the lights on and I had the most problems at night with my lights on, I'm not sure if I've mentioned but the RPM also dips considerably with the lights on, is this normal?
____________________
A CARROLL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
____________________
bikers smell of wee
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

acarroll9
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 28 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

what would this suggest? a new battery is needed? Its just that the battery is only a year old
____________________
A CARROLL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:43 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a charger on the battery? Sounds like it is dead though.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to consider if not just needing charging is bad earth - black wire from battery to frame.
This takes a lot of load and they can be prone to corrosion which makes for a range of intermittent/baffling problems when the voltage getting through is inadequate.
A simple test is borrow jump leads and attach one to negative terminal and a bright part of frame.
If some or all problems go away or changes, the original connection needs improving.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 0.52 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 58.58 Kb