Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Battery Problems, Un-tethered ground.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

CR41GK19
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 29 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 31 May 2016    Post subject: Battery Problems, Un-tethered ground. Reply with quote

I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question on google, my skills not being what I thought!

I'd like to know just what the dangers of riding a bike while the ground that connects to the engine block is loose/disconnected are?

(It's no longer loose, I found a new bolt and have the wire bolted down tight again)
But I was riding it around for over an hour like this before I noticed.

Also would using the bike like that cause the battery to drain much faster than normal, as today after trying to start my bike after being parked outside in the wind and rain all day it took several minutes and a lot of choke and kick starting to get it going. I did try the electric start but after a couple times the battery no longer has the juice to even power the electric starter motor anymore and it just makes some pathetic dying sound.

I'm hoping to diagnose a drain problem because recently the last month or so my battery has been dying after a week of use and I've already got a new battery in the bike so before I go looking at the alternator or the stator, I want to rule out a loose ground as a problem.

I have the new battery on charge again but don't fancy waiting a week to see if the problem just goes away without me learning the cause.

Any help would be appreciated, also this is my first post here, be gentle with me please Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:13 - 31 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Depends on the bike, and where the earth wire goes.

If it is the only wire to the battery negative terminal then probably all sorts of odd issues. Randomly no electrical power and no charging. If unlucky possibly frying the regulator / rectifier.

On the other hand if it is just an earth to the frame on a bike with a solidly mounted engine (ie, not rubber mounted) then a bit of insurance and a fair chance of no great issues.

All the best

Katy
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 31 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you a multimeter ?
This will check all for problems without random spending.
Also your bike should be covered from rain with wind.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.84 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 36.64 Kb