|
|
| Author |
Message |
| R84 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R84 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 02 Jun 2016 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:26 - 05 Jun 2016 Post subject: Zx7r bogging, won't idle etc |
 |
|
So I have an issue with my new to me 7r, I took it out today after being sat for 4 days. I had previously noticed a bogging when cracking the throttle in 1/2/3rd, but it wasn't too much of an issue.
Started on the button today, got about a mile down the road and notice the idle speed is dropping and dropping, it stalled at some lights, managed to restart it and decided to keep the revs a little higher without looking like an obnoxious ****... Away from the lights got barely any power even on WOT, bike lurching everywhere and didn't want to rev. Died again and wouldn't start. Pushed it to a parking space and let it sit for a while. Gave it full choke (choke appears to have no effect whatsoever on this bike, it's started on the button with no choke thus far) and it sounded awful, a couple of pathetic pops, played with throttle, half open, fully etc, eventually managed to get it started and get back home by keeping the revs high.
Any ideas as to what the issue could be? Battery was new, bought just before the bike was sold to me 3 weeks ago. Seems okay if you manage to start it and not let the idle drop too much, it was around 500rpm left to itself. I have since read there's an idle screw I can adjust but if the bike was fine for the 200 miles I've ridden it so far would that be an issue? It used to idle fine. It's due it's 15k service so I might get them to take a look. It has a dyno jet kit apparently which I want to replace with a factory pro kit when I've got an akra can to fit my akra headers. Got a yoshi GP force on currently.
My thoughts were to limp to the dealers, thinking throw some redex in the tank and play with the idle, but there are clear problems here. Any ideas? I'm mechanically minded as far as servicing etc but have no tools where I'm staying at the moment. Also never tackled carbs before... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CaNsA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CaNsA Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Jan 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jaffa90 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jaffa90 World Chat Champion
Joined: 06 Apr 2016 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ssray |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ssray Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 03 Sep 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| temeluchus |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 temeluchus World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:44 - 06 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Might be a shot in the dark, but when was the last time you checked the alternator (bearings, brushes)? The alternators on the ZX7R's are like the ones used in cars today, not the typical motorcycle alternator. Meaning, more load = more torque is require to spin the alternator. Which at low revs idle could result in stalling, when you turn on the lights, the brake lights light up etc. ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| R84 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R84 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 02 Jun 2016 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:54 - 06 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the replies.
| RhynoCZ wrote: | Might be a shot in the dark, but when was the last time you checked the alternator (bearings, brushes)? The alternators on the ZX7R's are like the ones used in cars today, not the typical motorcycle alternator. Meaning, more load = more torque is require to spin the alternator. Which at low revs idle could result in stalling, when you turn on the lights, the brake lights light up etc. |
I did consider it may be an electrical/power issue as the previous week it was hard to start, not having realised there was a parking light switch beyond the steering lock and leaving them on all night I usually ride with dipped beam in all weathers, knocked it off and had no discernible effect on the revs. May come back to this if nothing easy works.
| temeluchus wrote: | Don't fiddle with any adjusters.
Try draining the float bowls first, each carburettor has a drain on the bottom so you can dump the fuel out. You can then check for water and crud.
Then start looking at pumps, cleaning carbs etc. |
Is it possible to drain the carbs without removing the tank? I'm going to get hold of some tools to enable me to do this, if only to see whats in there and whether any kleen air/float bowl mods have been done. My options aside from this as of right now is a bottle of Redex, a squirt of carb cleaner into the intakes and an italian tuneup... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CaNsA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CaNsA Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Jan 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| R84 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R84 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 02 Jun 2016 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:08 - 06 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
I only suggest the alternator, as your motorcycle is old enough for a alternator brushes/bearings change. My ZX7R was stalling when, for instance, I got to a intersection and squeezed the front brake lever, the brake light turned on and the engine stalled. The idle was about 1,200 rpm (should be between 1,100 and 1,400 rpm). When ideling with all the lights off, there was about 1,200 rpm, when I turned the low beam, high beam and brake light on, plus the turn signal, the idle dropped by 100+ rpm. That caused stalling at some random ocasions.
Quick fix (that I did): I started the engine, turned everything on, even, held the brake so the brake light was lit, turned the turn signal on and then set the idle to about 1,200 rpm, problem solved! With everything off, the idle was negligibly faster (it was always between 1,200 and 1,300), BUT with everything on, it did not drop under 1,200 rpm that much = no stalling.
* I don't know the exact rpm, I just assume as the first mark is 1,000 rpm and the next mark is 1,500 rpm. The manual says +/- 50 rpm or something like that.
* The charging system of my ZX7R was giving healthy 14.5v. I'm not electrician and volts and amperes and all that, nah. I was told the brushes were to be changed, but alright at the point I was fidling with it.
* I'm not sure if this was my issue, or I just completely incidentally fixed a different issue. But it worked, I did 5000 miles on the bike since then and sold it to a happy new owner who has not called me back yet, so I guess the bike runs still well enough.  ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| R84 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R84 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 02 Jun 2016 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:22 - 06 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
| RhynoCZ wrote: | I only suggest the alternator, as your motorcycle is old enough for a alternator brushes/bearings change. My ZX7R was stalling when, for instance, I got to a intersection and squeezed the front brake lever, the brake light turned on and the engine stalled. The idle was about 1,200 rpm (should be between 1,100 and 1,400 rpm). When ideling with all the lights off, there was about 1,200 rpm, when I turned the low beam, high beam and brake light on, plus the turn signal, the idle dropped by 100+ rpm. That caused stalling at some random ocasions.
Quick fix (that I did): I started the engine, turned everything on, even, held the brake so the brake light was lit, turned the turn signal on and then set the idle to about 1,200 rpm, problem solved! With everything off, the idle was negligibly faster (it was always between 1,200 and 1,300), BUT with everything on, it did not drop under 1,200 rpm that much = no stalling.
* I don't know the exact rpm, I just assume as the first mark is 1,000 rpm and the next mark is 1,500 rpm. The manual says +/- 50 rpm or something like that.
* The charging system of my ZX7R was giving healthy 14.5v. I'm not electrician and volts and amperes and all that, nah. I was told the brushes were to be changed, but alright at the point I was fidling with it.
* I'm not sure if this was my issue, or I just completely incidentally fixed a different issue. But it worked, I did 5000 miles on the bike since then and sold it to a happy new owner who has not called me back yet, so I guess the bike runs still well enough.  |
Thanks rhyno. I did think that my previous stupidity with the parking lights might have meant an underpowered battery, but I didn't notice much change turning off the lights. If I do manage to start it I'll turn all the lights on etc and see if that effects the idle. If so, I'll implement your suggestion, at least until I can refurbish the alternator. Would that be a problem at only 14k? Also, I've read redex is trash and to order some BG44k - opinions? Although, if the jets are fucked, they're fucked. Right? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| temeluchus |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 temeluchus World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| R84 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R84 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 02 Jun 2016 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:20 - 06 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks all. New info...decided to give it a crank when i've got home, 24 hours after the episode. No additives or anything, just a random idea. Hit starter, click. More clicks. Starts to turn, and eventually, she's back idling at 1000... idle vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVvtSl-q-4o sounds healthy enough to me. Yesterday i was all over the throttle/choke and nothing.
Now my mind is turning back to electrics again...I'll take her out properly tomorrow and see what turns up...any more suggestions based on these developments? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| R84 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R84 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 02 Jun 2016 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:28 - 06 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Also forgot to mention, and this was something i noticed once previously too but chose to believe I didn't see it. Just after starting now I noticed a puff of smoke coming from the headstock/side of tank area, which soon stopped. Blueish grey, didn't smell of burning plastic... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| R84 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R84 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 02 Jun 2016 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dansp1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dansp1 Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 07 Jan 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| R84 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R84 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 02 Jun 2016 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stickybackbob |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stickybackbob Trackday Trickster
Joined: 23 Mar 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Major Doss |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Major Doss Traffic Copper

Joined: 09 Jan 2014 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| R84 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R84 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 02 Jun 2016 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| R84 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R84 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 02 Jun 2016 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dansp1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dansp1 Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 07 Jan 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kawasaki Jimbo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kawasaki Jimbo World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Oct 2015 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:13 - 11 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
| R84 wrote: | Any ideas as far as my next move? I'm trying to scale from small/cheap checks. |
Good plan.
| R84 wrote: | Also forgot to mention, and this was something i noticed once previously too but chose to believe I didn't see it.  Just after starting now I noticed a puff of smoke coming from the headstock/side of tank area, which soon stopped. Blueish grey, didn't smell of burning plastic... |
-and again,
| R84 wrote: | Also got the puff of smoke from the headstock area too... |
Find out what's burning. Check connectors in that area. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stickybackbob |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stickybackbob Trackday Trickster
Joined: 23 Mar 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 10 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|