Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Selling bike / part ex / insurance / rant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

eifion
Nova Slayer



Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Selling bike / part ex / insurance / rant Reply with quote

So today I take my SV to a dealer hoping to part ex it for a Deauville (yeah I know). Predictably get offered 25p and half a bag of cold chips for it, so decide I'm better off selling privately, even if that means dealing with the inevitable tyre kickers and Nigerian princes.

Then I thinks how would that actually work these days?
Sell SV, cancel insurance, buy, insure & tax Deauville. Hmm tis June. Insurance runs out in October. I'll be throwing away nearly another years' no-claims if I do that.

Sell SV, don't tell insurance company till I buy the Deauville? Read on here that very bad things can happen if new owner does kitten murder while bike still insured under your name. No thanks.

Buy new bike, add it to insurance, sell SV take it off insurance. They'll charge me something stupid for each change on the policy. Probably enough that it's almost worth starting a new one policy.

So I could buy new bike, put it on the insurance and take the SV off straight away even though I've not sold it yet, so only 1 admin fee. But due to continuous insurance regs I now have to SORN it as well if it's not insured, which means prospective buyers can't legally test ride it.

So how do you change bikes without being shafted either by the dealer, insurance company or DVLA?

</rant>
____________________
SR125 -> 6 year gap -> SV650 -> Deauville -> NC750X -> Vstrom 650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you already bought the other bike?

If yes - call up the insurance company and tell them that you are selling the old bike, see if they will let you have a weeks grace with both bikes on your policy while you sell the spare. Pay the whatever difference there is between old bike and new bike. (I have done this before, don't ask don't get and all that)

If no - put down a deposit on the new bike then sell the old bike, take cash in hand go and buy the new one. Swap insurance over as soon as old bike has been collected and you can go and pick up the new one.
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell sv have insurance transfered onto new bike ready
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you definitely want the new bike and can afford it whether you sell the SV or not, then put a deposit on it, advertise the SV, and then transfer the insurance the day you sell the SV.

Or, buy the new bike and add it to your policy if it's not especially expensive to do so. Check with your insurer, but in my experience (and I buy/sell bikes more regularly than anyone should), an admin fee is only usually payable for removing a bike if you're due a partial refund of your premium, in which case it's deducted from that sum. In other words, I've never had to pay extra to remove a bike from a multi-bike policy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all policy's are multibike

I couldn'tadd the new one in dDecember
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in exactly the same situation just a month ago. I sold privately and in turn I sacrificed a years ncb win only 6 weeks to go til renewal. After crunching all the numbers and considering the price i got for my bike it made sense for me to do it that way. Plus the fee insurance were going to charge me for pausing and then restarting policy with a new bike meant id actually be losing out. For me it was cleaner and a lot less hassle to just cut all ties with last bike and start fresh with new bike.
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 27 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue last year. I wanted/needed a 2 week gap and I had already paid in full but would the insurers give me a 2 week break or even add another 2 weeks so I didn't lose my 9 month ncd for that year?
Did they fuck, they screwed me over with a £55 cancellation fee and said I could have £25 off when I took out new insurance with them on the new bike. Insurance companies are just shysters and just want to screw you over at every opportunity.
Cost me £20 last month for them to type a new 6 digit reg number on car insurance for "admin" which works out £3 per key stroke and £2 to email new documents.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 1.05 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 53.29 Kb