Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Knox Armour

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Jon
Anyone for donuts?



Joined: 28 Oct 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Knox Armour Reply with quote

Anyone use Knox armour?

I was originally going to by the Ricochet back-protector

https://www.planet-knox.co.uk/Knox/ricochet.asp

but have come across the Cross Shirt 1

https://www.planet-knox.co.uk/Knox/cross_shirt_I.asp

Question is would you think the back-protector in this is at similar standards as the above back-protector?

Pretty sure I'm going for the cross_shirt as it has armour in chest, elbows, shoulders, and back. Ideal for offroading, supermoto and track use (my new leathers have poor armour). Just unsure the back-protector would be ideal for track-use Question

I know the shirt is expensive but I really need to start wearing gear to stop or atleast help against serious injury)

Cheers Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this on the road or pitbike?

TC posted a little while ago saying that hard back protectors could potentially cause more harm than good. I have a CE Foam one in my Crowtree leathers, and its really nice. Comfy, and I know its protective.

I hear some of the hard ones have been known to crush vertebrae when there is intervention from road furniture or other object...
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Knox rollup one, kinda intended to wear it on the road but in practice I rarely do. Embarassed Do wear it on the track though and I certainly didn't damage myself when I came off so who knows.

The rollup ones are fairly flexible, so I reckon they're a good compromise between the really rigid ones and plain foam.

I'll say though, the main reason I don't wear it on road is that kinda shoves my shoulder armour up a bit and I can't turn my head as far as I can without.


Last edited by Bendy on 20:26 - 27 Feb 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jon
Anyone for donuts?



Joined: 28 Oct 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be for pitbiking (offroading,stunting,supermoto stylee!) trackdays on the Hornet and possibly some use on the road.

Interesting about the hard back protectors, think I remember reading something about that before.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought Jon... if you want to borrow mine for Brands to try it out, you're more than welcome.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jon
Anyone for donuts?



Joined: 28 Oct 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *think* the built-in back protector (on the shirt) is semi-soft but the plates are the hard plastic thingys. Not 100% though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jon
Anyone for donuts?



Joined: 28 Oct 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:29 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Just a thought Jon... if you want to borrow mine for Brands to try it out, you're more than welcome.


Cool, may take you up on that Thumbs Up Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the KC back protector, think its KC-2000. I was measured up for it specially and it fits like a glove. The other back protector you mentioned was on show at the KNox stands at the NEC. I always end up having a chat as they recgnise my acent (from a town next to mine!) and they told me for track riding and sportsbike road-riding, that the KC was better overall. If the KC had been more expensive I maybe wouldnt have taken that as fact but it was cheaper. Once on its very comfortable and doeasnt dig into the base of your neck, infact its quite a good bit away from it. get it to fit perfectly and it is very reassuring, the waist band actually keeps you warm and you fel like someone is hugging you from behind!

On the downside its best to check it with your leathers on beofre you buy as I only just got away with it fiting under my one piece.

The shirt looks like a good option but at £129 seems a bit on the expensive side. Try the Hein Gericke alternatives, they have excellent build quality and normall a very competetive price!

good luck and happy pitbiking!

Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the KC-2000 race off ebay for 66 quid including p&p- brand new. Fits really well and after my recent off, the naff one in my leathers is out, and when I fix the bike I will start wearing it. Its really comfy!



Craig G(Noggin)
____________________
Current bike: kawasaki zx12r 2002
Track bike: yamaha r6 1998
Old Bike: honda NSR 125 1998
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jon
Anyone for donuts?



Joined: 28 Oct 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:50 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice

It is a bit expensive but I do get Knox gear at trade price (25% off) so that brings it down to under £100. Still expensive though.

I'm sure I'd be able to fit it under my leathers, infact, I could probably fit another 5 or 6 on top of that Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy99
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 16 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of the older Knox back protectors,with hard kevlar panels on a hard foam back. I've only had to use it once (i'm glad to say) and it worked very well,a friend hit an armco back first at about 70mph wearing a hard back protector and walked away,granted is wasn't a direct hit.
I suppose a very hard back protector without foam would just transfer the shock straight to the spine without obsorbing any of the impact...is that what TC was saying Marjay?
____________________
Nothing gets the point across quite like a raised middle digit.

Just call me General Crazypaws.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil



Joined: 02 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:52 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a knox protectore I cant remember what its called but it has a pod ike system running down the spine, and goes much further down then others i've seen. It also offers protection for the kidney area with a pod on each side. When i came off and slid over things on my back i didnt feel a thing. You can have a look at mine at brands as well as bendys.
HTH
J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy99 wrote:
I suppose a very hard back protector without foam would just transfer the shock straight to the spine without obsorbing any of the impact...is that what TC was saying Marjay?


I believe that what TC was saying was that hard back protectors are fine in an impact with tarmac... but its when road furniture and bits of bike and car become involved that they can transfer the force from a large area (the whole back protector) to a small area (one vertebrae).

I think this only occurs in certain planes of impact, but I'm sure TC will correct me if I'm wrong. Thats if he is allowed to comment on it, because he was involved in some sort of case at the time.

Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was more to do with them possible catching on 'road furniture' and being forced upwards to impact the base of your neck.

Something which is unlikely to happen on track due to the smoothness of the surface - no drain covers or cats eyes for it to possibly catch on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:54 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
I thought it was more to do with them possible catching on 'road furniture' and being forced upwards to impact the base of your neck.

Something which is unlikely to happen on track due to the smoothness of the surface - no drain covers or cats eyes for it to possibly catch on.


Thats what I said... didn't I? Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as clearly as I did. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:57 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Something which is unlikely to happen on track due to the smoothness of the surface - no drain covers or cats eyes for it to possibly catch on.


What about the rumble strip things on the apex of corners so that the cars feel less inclined to go cut the corner? Confused I wouldn't fancy your back's chances landing across one of those...
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't fancy your chances with or without on that.

But in terms of catching on it, they're usually fairly smoothly transitioned from the tarmac, so without 'catch your protector and ram it into your neck' edges.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jon
Anyone for donuts?



Joined: 28 Oct 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:35 - 01 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply from Planet-Knox

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail.
The cross shirt 1 is really for off roading and not for track days. I wouldn't really recommend the cross shirt for track days because the back protector in the cross shirt I is really based on the stowaway back which doesn't give you as much coverage as the Ricochet back protector, but we know lot's of people that have been using the cross shirt for track days and they are happy with the protection it gives them.
We have just started to produce the new 2005 Cross shirt I which has a detachable back protector so you could buy a separate back protector for your track days but still be able to wear the shirt which will have elbow, shoulder and chest protection.
At the moment if you were interested in the new 2005 Cross shirt 1 you would need to place the order direct by calling us on 01900 825825 because they have only started to go out to the dealers this week. I hope the above helps but if you need anymore information or would like me to send you a copy of the 2005 Knox catalogue please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards
Anne-Marie


Helpful Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 104.39 Kb