Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


I need some advice...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 20 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: I need some advice... Reply with quote

I haven't been active on the forum for a few months due to going back to uni and being constantly busy. I try to stay away from the forum otherwise I start to reminisce about my bike, so sorry...

Anyway I want to bring my bike down to London for uni as originally intended to avoid public transport as much as possible. I am thinking of doing so after the Christmas break (January time).

Now my problem is firstly I'm worried sick of the bike crime rate where I live and in London in general, especially the fact I will have to park my bike out the front of the house I live in.
Secondly my bike is in almost pristine condition and I'm now slightly annoyed I got such a nice bike as I don't know if I want to use it around London.

So should I be worried about crime and my bike being stoled, and also should I just man the f**k up and not worry about making my shiny bike dirty?
____________________
-Suzuki GSF600-


Last edited by cjttchris on 11:50 - 07 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in London, and will it be parked on the street, off the street, in a garage, what sort of security and so on.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not under any circumstances leave a nice bike on the streets of London.
Thieves are stealing them with alarming frequency. Just sell it and buy something not worth stealing, or spend 2k on locks and alarms.

It may still get stolen.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 20 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Where in London, and will it be parked on the street, off the street, in a garage, what sort of security and so on.


Hendon, so North London. It will be parked off the street on some paving outside my house.

This is a pic I just took:
https://i66.tinypic.com/2rzq645.jpg
____________________
-Suzuki GSF600-
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 07 Jul 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:20 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Keep that back at home and have something to look forward to when you visit home. You're going to leave the bike there on that open patch of driveway in north Hendon? Come on, man. How about just giving it away to the first lowlife you see as a Christmas/birthday/every-day's-a-holiday gift?
____________________
Safety in numbers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 20 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
Sorry. Keep that back at home and have something to look forward to when you visit home. You're going to leave the bike there on that open patch of driveway in north Hendon? Come on, man. How about just giving it away to the first lowlife you see as a Christmas/birthday/every-day's-a-holiday gift?


I've known that is the wise thing to do, I think that I needed someone to tell me that it wasn't a good idea. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

However, if I had say under £1000 to spend on a different set of "shitty" wheels, what would be the best choice? It cannot be a scooter!
____________________
-Suzuki GSF600-
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 27 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be spending as little as possible on the bike if it was me. £1000 is a lot to spend on a shitter that may get nicked.

edit* just seen your current bike assumed you were learner
____________________
"fli hi mi angle"


Last edited by ackack on 17:31 - 30 Nov 2016; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

skatefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a 98 CBR600 F3 in superb mechanical condition (literally looked like a dog after a failed/abandoned respray attempt) that I doubt would get robbed (even in London) for 500 bucks a few years ago.
Beats a shcooter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 20 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the sound of it, almost worth just taking public transport for the few months I have in London after Christmas. The fact that the scum steal anything and everything makes me not want to give them anything, even if the bike cost £100. Maybe next year I will look into a house with access to the garden or somewhere inside to put the bike...
____________________
-Suzuki GSF600-
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 07 Jul 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll nick anything - even a bicycle - if they want it. They'll do it in public and they don't care who sees or identifies them. If your bike is nicked and they want to sell it, you'll be able to find the thieves themselves selling it on Instagram and Facebook, saying they stole it and want to sell it. That's how open they are. The big deal with motorcycles is that they have an understanding that they won't be pursued by the police. The Met, especially, is indifferent. They (the police) make money out of it, as do recovery companies and others. Prolific bike theft also works out nicely for TFL. Cheap old bangers are stolen to rag around on and for use in other crimes (especially robberies). The same thieves then resell more expensive bikes immediately to professional fences. Knives are being pulled out and used on people who try to stop them, and it doesn't even make the news. It's good to be aware of these things. The country is going to the dogs, and it's by design - selective enforcement of various laws.

The only way you will park your bike safely in London with complete peace of mind is to be a member of a thief's gang, or else to illegally inflict such brutal violence on the territorial gangs responsible for bike theft that they're afraid of you and don't mess with you. As proof of this, you will find that the thieves themselves leave bikes they've stolen anywhere they like, for days on end to drain tracker batteries, or weeks on end for no reason, and nobody touches them. Don't get a bike in London.

Insurance may be prohibitive. I've heard of people paying thousands for TPFT on average bikes. If you get an old banger and it's stolen, it will affect your NCB.
____________________
Safety in numbers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there access to the back garden So you could get the bike in there)?
____________________
The above comment isn't necessarily the truth and anyone that says it is, is only correct if it's the truth or they're bigger than me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, and I hope I'm not tempting fate here, but I park my bike in the back garden with no security. People know it's there, I've heard locals yoofs talking about it. Never had an attempted theft.

In the OP's situation if my bedroom was round the front, with a ground anchor, almax and maybe alarmed disc lock I'd park my bike there. IMO parking a bike on street's where the risk lies.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, I've lived in London for over thirty years, and never had any vehicles nicked. Admittedly, some gobshite did cut the exhaust off my car once, but that's the sole instance of such a thing happening to me. I'm pretty sure that Newham qualifies as being worse for crime than Hendon, too.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/cWoU6NF.png?1

cjttchris wrote:
https://i66.tinypic.com/2rzq645.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/2340da614bfefa16c8ac966e136da051/tumblr_mmzhxdKbqa1qgsff2o1_500.gif
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GgGQa2AtvT0/hqdefault.jpg

You might get lucky for a year, or three, or thirty, but I'd consider any bike left outside in London to be on temporary loan from the pikey massive.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
For what its worth, and I hope I'm not tempting fate here, but I park my bike in the back garden with no security. People know it's there, I've heard locals yoofs talking about it. Never had an attempted theft.

Yet. I think it'd be wise of you to think about security options again, rather than tempt fait.


M.C wrote:
In the OP's situation if my bedroom was round the front, with a ground anchor, almax and maybe alarmed disc lock I'd park my bike there.

If it's right under your window and you've a gun & boiling oil permanently ready... maybe Laughing
____________________
The above comment isn't necessarily the truth and anyone that says it is, is only correct if it's the truth or they're bigger than me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 20 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Is there access to the back garden So you could get the bike in there)?


Unfortunately not.

Rogerborg wrote:
You might get lucky for a year, or three, or thirty, but I'd consider any bike left outside in London to be on temporary loan from the pikey massive.


Exactly. It seems that the thugs will pick and choose at will. London seems to be the pic n' mix bike shop.

Alpineandy wrote:
If it's right under your window and you've a gun & boiling oil permanently ready... maybe Laughing


Well it seems to be the only way. Just means you'd have to be on constant watch 24/7!
____________________
-Suzuki GSF600-
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy an old CB500 or the like. Thieves leave this type alone in London, as they are neither cool, or worth anything to anyone.

I'd happily ride one than the buses.

Also, just insure it Third Party. If it does get nicked, don't even report it to your insurance company, just tell the Police. Insuring a piece of crap with theft cover is not worth the trouble. The bike would be worth £500, that would be virtually gone with any excess, so losing NCB for the sake of a couple of hundred at best would be counter-productive.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tdibs
Traffic Copper



Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im guessing its not your property and cant put a ground anchor in the front garden either?
____________________
Previous : 09 Vanvan 125| 02' Sv650s || Current: 1999 Xj600n | 1992 DR650 RSE | 2005 Fazer 1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 20 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
The bike would be worth £500, that would be virtually gone with any excess, so losing NCB for the sake of a couple of hundred at best would be counter-productive.


I guess but £500 is still a fair bit to risk, especially for a student... If I come into some money that's the best option.

Tdibs wrote:
Im guessing its not your property and cant put a ground anchor in the front garden either?


I can put one in, the landlord doesn't care, but I still don't think its enough.

2 people up my road have bikes similar to mine locked up outside, I even regularly see a BMW S1000 parked on the kerb just on the main road. That's what gave me the slightest of confidence to have one...
____________________
-Suzuki GSF600-
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Yet. I think it'd be wise of you to think about security options again, rather than tempt fait.

Maybe. I'm in my bike less than a grand and I CBA fiddling about with locks on freezing cold mornings.

cjttchris wrote:
2 people up my road have bikes similar to mine locked up outside, I even regularly see a BMW S1000 parked on the kerb just on the main road. That's what gave me the slightest of confidence to have one...

No offence mate but it's a Bandit, hardly desirable. They like scooters mainly, and Striples as they're easy to steal. One of my neighbours has a Bandit and keeps it in their front garden.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

No offence mate but it's a Bandit, hardly desirable. They like scooters mainly, and Striples as they're easy to steal. One of my neighbours has a Bandit and keeps it in their front garden.

Someone at the local screwfix leaves a bike out the front with a 'Bandit' cover on it.
I reckon it's an R6 or something, but advertising it as a bandit is about the best security there is! Razz

(Sadly, in London, even that I wouldn't risk if I actually cared about the bike.)

Whatever, I'd be considering a ground anchor and ideally a mini-shed with alarm (to wake you, not to scare them off.)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother with a bike for commuting if I lived in London. Public transport is relatively cheap and easy and the scum haven't got around to nicking that...... yet
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I wouldn't bother with a bike for commuting if I lived in London. Public transport is relatively cheap and easy and the scum haven't got around to nicking that...... yet

£3.30 for me to go 3 stops into work on the tube Thinking
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:05 - 01 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travelcard cost me over £50 a week , fuel for the same is around £25 a week. Time on Bus/Tube 75 mins each way. Time on bike 35 mins each way.

I don't think wild horses could drag me back to TFL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.68 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 131.87 Kb