 |
|
 |

|
|
| Author |
Message |
| vlf |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 vlf Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 11 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 01:22 - 28 Feb 2005 Post subject: Random newbie problems |
 |
|
Well - I'm quite new to riding. I've only rode about seven hours and those where on my private lessons. And of those seven hours, two where probably worthless and I didn't learn anything.
My main problem comes from clutch control, I know the theory and I know how it works and should be put to work, but sometimes I just keep doing it wrong, making the bike stall. That on itself wouldn't be a problem if I could practise it. My test is in two months and I have only got 10 more lessons left. We're not allowed to practise without an insturctor and there's no such thing as a CBT here.
I'm training and taking my full license for 250cc and I've been having lots of problems with my "instructor". First, and foremost since the beginning, in the first class, although he explained to me the control basics(clutch use, gear chaning, brakes, indicators and lights) he seemed to miss alot of things. He NEVER under any circunstances told me HOW and WHEN to to lifesavers or even check the mirrors. I've had to check it up and ask friends. Also, he didn't help me get any slow speed control and the best suitable gear options, he just said how to change to each gear(he didn't even mention it had to be sequential and, as I have never ridden anything else before didn't even know I couldn't switch to first like it was any normal gear. He also didn't tell me, I happened to listen to some friends talking about it). I also didn't get any advice on how to enter corners(even though I'm not having much of a trouble with it anyways, it just bothers me to be neglected), how to stop at junctions and for the matter, he never said anything about how I should be at a stop.
But, the real problems start when I got my first lesson up-front, on the road. I had him on the intercom just yell at me, and although it's okay and I apreciate him poiting out my faults(that's his job anyways), why the hell didn't he EVER mention any of those things before and ,even though he KNOWS if never ridden anything before, expects me to do what I've never even heard about. However, whenever I stall he just sighs and that gets on my nerves. He tends to repeat the theory, that I already told him I already know and he even answers all moody and shit. I already told him I need to get the hang of it, and that under traffic pressure and his pressure I'll never get things done since on my first class although he explained to me how to start moving he told me to just keep going in circles around the car park. Hell, how was I to learn any clutch control if I didn't ever need to even stop? I only stopped like five times and only realised I couldn't move out without stalling when I went to the road. In other words frustrating.
Also, he told me to do some eights, all fine, he shows them how they are made(eg: Making them), No theory whatsoever, I know jack shit about it. Although I can do them just fine with no foot on the ground whatsoever I know I'm doing it wrong because I am applying front brake and don't even use the damn clutch. Conclusion, he never told me HOW they where meant to be made and what I should use to do them. I've been doing them wrong and he just ignores. As a side note, he's never taught me any evasive or safety manoveur, I know nothing. Then, all of a sudden he starts saying shit like I should quit motorcycling because I don't have the hang of it at this time of my life. I mean, what the hell? He should be teaching me, he's an awful teacher and I didn't learn anything with him. All I've learned was from friends or on-line information. I've never ridden anything before and he expects me to be Rossi.
That wouldn't bother but saying something like "you should quit" or "I'm gonna call your parents" is totally offensive. I'm a normal person and can ignore/whitstand lots of verbal abuse, I know how to behave and I'm usually not offended easily but somehow, treating me like this just makes me burn in rage. Why should I quit? Because he sucks as a teacher and expects me to do thing I've never even heard of? Last but not least, I came off my first time(yes he had started saying I shouldn't be a biker even though I hadn't even come off before and I've never been in a dangerous situation)as I was trying to get the bike to the trailer, at the end of the lesson, I got mad at the abuse and pissed off about keeping stalling and not being able to overcome my only flaw so far, and just rev'ed hard and let go of the clutch with too much of a rush. Bad move, I know. I moved up the trailor, front wheel slided as I tried to brake and down I went. I didn't even hurt myself but the man just came all pissed off saying I should quit and I don't have the hang of it and bla, bla.
As a result, I'm losing all my confidence and I find myself hating to go to the next lesson as oppossed to when I started having lessons, before he started hurling abuse at me. I can't train without him and with him I can't practise my clutch control. As a result, I just can't get over it. When I was on the road, I would be affraid to stop and overly worried about stopping because of me stalling like a madmen.
Oh well, I can't change instructor either because I don't have the money to afford a school change even though if it was free I'd love that. I just hate when people diss my dreams and I really won't even fickle, he may diss my dream and/or ability to ride but he won't be able to beat my willpower to it. I just won't fall to that and I will prove him wrong. Perhaps his attitude is trying to stimulate me, but then I thing he's even worse as a teacher. He doesn't even know the harm he's doing to my psyche. I'm just getting blown by pressure.
If you managed to read this, congratulations. I had to get this off my chest, I was going insane.
Last edited by vlf on 01:46 - 28 Feb 2005; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:44 - 28 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Is he the only instructor in the country? I assume you are paying for this training, and if you are you have a contract with him. This is a two-way thing, and if you feel he isn't up to the job, tell him what you've said here, and ask him what he intends to do to rectify the situation. If he isn't self employed, go to his boss and complain.
The guy sounds like an arsehole, and you sound as though you know your limitations. If he was in any way a decent teacher, he'd see that you want to learn. ____________________ Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet
[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581] |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| vlf |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 vlf Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 11 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vespa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Vespa Traffic Copper
Joined: 12 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Stu_666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Stu_666 Brolly Dolly

Joined: 27 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:37 - 28 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sounds like a complete wanker.
However, if you're determined to stick with him I'm afraid you're going to have to overcome the hardest thing ever - relaxing.
Being relaxed is the key thing to riding well - as I'm sure you've noticed, as soon as you get all tense and angry, you start making mistakes. So think higher thoughts, imagine him in his underwear, whatever you need to do to get in the 'zone'.
For your figure 8s and low speed manouvres, try and ride using the clutch and the back brake to moderate your speed - get the clutch to biting point and just give it a bit more... use this to modulate your speed more than the throttle for the very slow stuff.
Slow speed turning - the bike goes where you're looking. So if you're going in a circle or an 8, look towards the centre of it, not straight ahead, and you'll find you naturally turn. Same applies to U turn in the road (if you have to do those over there).
It's a huge big subject so if you've got any specific questions, please do come and ask us.
Chin up. Think how smug you can be to him when you pass.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| vlf |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 vlf Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 11 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:51 - 28 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks a lot guys, it really helps to hear some cheerful words.
When Bendy mentioned "relaxing" it was a total hit. When I went for the first time ahead of him on the road I didn't go too well since I wasn't even thinking right and putting some of the theory into righteous practise, that made him crank at me. Although not totally bad, it's not good. Why? because of the way he said it and that just kept me unsettled plus hearing nasty comments and not being able to retort is very distracting/enraging. It just went downhill from there.
My slow speed balance and control is rather nasty and so is my pull away. When the lesson is still on it's start I can do it with some faults, not good but not a total failure either, however, by the end I just make complete stalls. The problem is, I do know the theory and instead of him letting me practise it and adapt my brain to do it in a mechanical, non-thinking way, he just repeats the theory over and over. I already explained him, politely that I do know how it works and even proceeded to enlighten him on my knowledge about the mechanical works of the clutch. Didn't make him do anything. He just curses randomly. Nerve killing to say the least.
I think I'll follow some of your advice and try to ignore his utterly stupid comments, try and keep it calm, slow and relaxing. Not traffic rotting slow, just slow to allow me to think and to stop me from doing any irrational moves on the road.
I'm thinking of using the following method to pull away, feel free to comment on it:
- Rev the bike to what I think will be 3k Revs(The CG125 I'm on doesn't have a rev counter).
- Try to loosen up the clutch slowly until it reaches the biting point and the revs start to drop.
- Loosen it up a tad more and try to keep the revs at 3k followed by a throttle blip in order to avoid a harsh pull away.
-When moving - release clutch completly.
If all goes well, I should have been able to pull away without stalling. I know perhaps it's not the best way, but on the other hand it just might get me from not stalling, making me able to pass my test and enabling me to practise the "best" method on a deserted road, somewhere safe.
About the other issues, I guess I can't really do anything besides try and do what you guys said.
Thanks again. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 222 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum
|
Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.93 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 61.87 Kb
|