Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What bike for London Commuting?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: What bike for London Commuting? Reply with quote

So with the £12.50 per daylight robbery looming I need to look for a replacement for my 2003 Fzs600 Fazer. A pity since I really like this bike. So what to go for with a similar riding position (I'm 51y/o with a stiff back so forget anything sporty), at least the same performance and reliability?

Apart from London commuting I also do regular trips out through the Chilterns, and would like to get some short UK tours in next year.

I sat on a CB1300F last year and it felt 'right' didn't test ride it though, other than that the only other bike I've thought about is the FZ1 but it doesn't look too comfortable. Suggestions anyone?
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha MT 07?
____________________
Elen sila lummen omentielvo!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inb4 G and GSXR1000


Also NC750 Smile

Versys 650
Tracer
Scootay
...
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

myvision
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:13 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the charge wasn't due until 2020?
Shit i may need to change if it is due sooner.
____________________
VFR800FI, YZF600R Thundercat and FZS 1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
GSXR1000
I'd need a crane/wheelchair

ScaredyCat wrote:
Also NC750
I'm not that bloody decrepit (yet)

woo wrote:
Yamaha MT 07?
Worth a look, ergonomics similar to Fazer.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
I thought the charge wasn't due until 2020?
Shit i may need to change if it is due sooner.
I'm planning ahead a fair bit.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
myvision wrote:
I thought the charge wasn't due until 2020?
Shit i may need to change if it is due sooner.
I'm planning ahead a fair bit.


Andy_Pagin wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:
Also NC750
I'm not that bloody decrepit (yet)


But by then....
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me: Where are you commuting from?

Anyhow ... regardless.
You must've been commuting in and out of London for ?ages? now - and you surely have seen that there simply isn't a bike that you couldn't commute with ... if you really wanted to. I've certainly seen almost every style, and some proper sights Laughing
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Amber Phoenix
Traffic Copper



Joined: 01 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charge will definitely be in place in 2020. But there are plans to possibly introduce it earlier in 2019.

Andy: I'm in very same boat as you, with a 2003 FZS600 as well. I guess it depends on a lot on budget, whether you're after another commuter hack for £2-3k. or want to splash out (or finance) on something more expensive.

At the lower end, the later FZ6's, Fazer8 and FZ1 are obvious choices. Otherwise CBF500/600, Hornets etc. are fairly sensible and similar.
I've also been looking at BMW F800ST or GT's too. Maybe even a later Suzuki SV650.

As for new stuff, the MT09, Tracer or CBF650 seem reasonable too.

A couple of things that seem to be apparent are:
Very few bikes have a tank range anything like the 2003 FZS600 (220-230miles).
Most alternatives in same class have much lower BHP than the FZS600 ~95bhp). (e.g. MT07, CBF600, F800ST etc)
Anything with similar or more power (on paper) has a fair drop in fuel economy (~40mpg vs the 50-55mpg the FZS600 achieves).

So, it appears to be a dilemma between something practical and sensible, but likely less fun vs something as fun (or more) at expense of economy, practicality and greater outlay. Little else seems to strike that happy balance the FZS600 did. Sad
____________________
Beginner Biker Adventures Blog
Yamaha FZ6 S2 2007
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat, it's from Enfield to London Wall, basically a crawl down the A10. The fly in the ointment is the trips to Gt Missenden, mostly bad country roads and very hilly, so I need decent bhp/torque and reasonable comfort.

Arfa__ We've both been spoilt by owning perhaps the ultimate all-rounder, the nearest I can see to it is the CB1300 which feels similar to sit on and doesn't look a lot bigger albeit a fair bit heavier. The legendary 'pull away in 4th' torque appeals, finding one that's low mileage and new enough will be a challenge.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vstrom?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

007 wrote:
Keep the FZS and move out of the dump that is London. Win-win.
Bit tricky when you're married to an industry that 100% has to be located in the City of London.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:
GSXR1000
I'd need a crane/wheelchair

GSXR1000 with higher bars.
Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brainstorming this, if I got a brand new budget scooter and fitted it with a 1950s 150cc 2 smoke would that sidestep the legislation and bugger up their emissions figures in one hit?
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 09 Nov 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing - keep in mind your bike is NOT SAFE, especially if you get a liter bike or something... you most likely know this, but I'd never commute on a 600/1000 supersport or any nice bike to central London, even going there on my '13 Kawa ER6N is scary enough... got private parking for now, but company is moving offices soon enough.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapt0r1997 wrote:
One thing - keep in mind your bike is NOT SAFE, especially if you get a liter bike or something... you most likely know this, but I'd never commute on a 600/1000 supersport or any nice bike to central London, even going there on my '13 Kawa ER6N is scary enough... got private parking for now, but company is moving offices soon enough.
Good point. Another thing in favour of the CB1300, it doesn't look flashy and certainly isn't fashionable.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Serendipity
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear most folk saying that the CBF1000 is too big and heavy for London commuting, but I do alright. And once you're on to the open road it's great. Seems pretty undesirable to tea leaves too.

PM me if you fancy a spin. I suspect our paths may cross on a regular basis.
____________________
2007 CBF1000 & 2016 CBF1000F - Commuter heaven | 1994 CBR600FR - Awaiting defibrillation
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Good point. Another thing in favour of the CB1300, it doesn't look flashy and certainly isn't fashionable.


don't know about that ...

https://barrygrussell.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/img_2847_edit_g49wm.jpg

Laughing
____________________
Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
...Enfield to London Wall...


I do a very similar commute into central London. Did it on a Honda PCX, Ninja 250, ER6N, GSR750 and then a GSXR600 until it got nicked. Will be back on another GSXR600 from next week.

Anyway, from personal experience and aside from the drop in MPG, I find the GSXR most comfortable and able for me. It's perfectly able at filtering, does slow speeds well and I fill up once a week on average. The PCX was the best on all fronts except for weekend belting and the other bikes never really did it for me and I got bored very quickly.

If it's purely a workhorse for commuting you're after then go for economy as any 500cc+ bike will have the power you need for your commute, even for the more hilly routes and you'll rarely get out-dragged off the lights.
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
[If it's purely a workhorse for commuting you're after then go for economy as any 500cc+ bike will have the power you need for your commute, even for the more hilly routes and you'll rarely get out-dragged off the lights.
It's the Gt. Missenden run that's the problem, you're up and down very long steep hills most of the time, overall climb is nearly 700ft vertically. Honestly in some places if you let go the handlebars you'd fall off the back.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:15 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
It's the Gt. Missenden run that's the problem, you're up and down very long steep hills most of the time, overall climb is nearly 700ft vertically. Honestly in some places if you let go the handlebars you'd fall off the back.


Kwak ER6 Thumbs Up

Should climb the hills with ease and is comfortable enough.
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny enough I'm in the same position too, 1998 Fazer 600 - no idea what I'll replace it with.

Two thoughts occur.

1) I've never owned or ridden a bike that gets through gridlocked traffic as easily as my Fazer. I can get through gaps that I'd never have even considered on bikes which I thought were excellent commuters before owning this. The Fazer has an excellent turning circle, and is light weight, narrow and short.

2) At 12-15,000 miles a year I tend to go through a bike every 18-24 months, which means I'm probably 2 or 3 bikes away from 2020 still and so it isn't really bothering me much.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 09 Nov 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:19 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
TheArchitect wrote:
[If it's purely a workhorse for commuting you're after then go for economy as any 500cc+ bike will have the power you need for your commute, even for the more hilly routes and you'll rarely get out-dragged off the lights.
It's the Gt. Missenden run that's the problem, you're up and down very long steep hills most of the time, overall climb is nearly 700ft vertically. Honestly in some places if you let go the handlebars you'd fall off the back.


I'd grab something with clip on style bars, purely because if you're good at filtering you'll want something tucked in for the car mirrors and tight gaps etc... a ninja 250 or other sporty style ones may be great, don't throw them out, they're plenty punchy from what I see and would grab great mileage, not too sure about the touring aspect though, I think would be best to have a second bike... you can have a beautiful powerhouse for runarounds and tours, and something smart for commuting.

It's like literally the only downfall of my naked er6n, when I had a cbr125 on a CBT I found it super duper easy to get past everyone purely due to the clip on bars, I would just tuck in my mirrors and I could fit through anything, so keep that in mind, this depends on how big you are at filtering, I filter like there's no tomorrow so if I end up changing my commuter this will be though of.

Edit: Consider the mpg aspect, doubt a 250cc or something similar will struggle up any reasonable hill 33bhp is lots on 150kg.

And by my commuter I mean my main bike, a 19 year old apprentice can't afford the upfront cost and insurance cost of 2 bikes, story is different for anyone who is over 50.


Last edited by definitelyincompetent on 18:26 - 08 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with the FZ6/FZ8?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.59 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.43 Kb