Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Squaring off tyres

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Squaring off tyres Reply with quote

You commuters out there, how long do your tyres last before they look like Kryton's head from Red Dwarf?

I havent checked the mileage on MOT's but I cant have ridden more than a few thousand miles at most an mine have got shoulders Sad

I do go around corners honest

pressures are checked every week or so.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:11 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer usually starts to change shape at about 8000 miles on BT023's
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 07 Jul 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Squaring off tyres Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
You commuters out there, how long do your tyres last before they look like Kryton's head from Red Dwarf?

I havent checked the mileage on MOT's but I cant have ridden more than a few thousand miles at most an mine have got shoulders Sad

I do go around corners honest

pressures are checked every week or so.


I think it's far more to do with tyre pressure than riding in straight lines.
Have you tried putting in about 3 or 4 more PSI than recommended? And checking pressure every day? I had a slow air leak from my rear tyre that was coming from around the valve (not the core) and possibly the rim as well. I found I was losing increasing amounts of pressure overnight. I had to get this sorted out by a garage only a couple of weeks ago.
____________________
Safety in numbers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 8000 on my Avon Storms, too, before the profile became too 'orrible.
____________________
Triumph Sprint ST 1050. And it's Red.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:43 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Enf's are square from new Smile
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for adding pressure, with the addendum, that *it feels right*.

Obviously, if it makes if feel like you're the star of a new Strictly spin-off with bikes, then it won't work. I run 5 psi higher in the rear, 3 in the front, but obviously this will differ with every bike and rider. I've found it works better with softer tyres.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
The Enf's are square from new Smile


Yup. More rubber on the road with square tyres.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.6 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 52.32 Kb