Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My failing wheelie history

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: My failing wheelie history Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
I'm so unhappy. I try and try to pull off a proper wheelie and fail. I suppose I just get to that point and chicken out. I get the front up but the whole clutchless shift into second to keep it up is just too complicated to me. Any advice from anyone who has been there? My NSR fairing also is a bit dodge (needs some superglue etc to keep it on etc) which makes this really cringe noise as I come down with a BANG! Offputting to say the least. Help? Also, are there any NSR drivers around Neasden, London? I saw one of you buggers outside a curry house, but then lost ya. The only other NSR guy I bumped into did not speak a word of English, which was promising, and made a great conversation through helmets.
What? What did you say? Comprende mate, si si.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power wheelie? On an nsr125? Do it on the clutch on a small cc bike like that, I'd have thought it would have been much easier?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power wheelies aren't going to happen on your NSR. Laughing

Have a read of this thread about how to wheelie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, why am i an L plate warrior? is it coz i just joined? id rather be a bandit. or a sumo.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:24 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Power wheelies aren't going to happen on your NSR. Laughing


I disagree, I found it easier to use power and a bump than clutch on my NSR.

However changing into second is a lot less likely and not much use.

You need to concentrate on getting it high and keeping it high.


However the NSR is a particularly bad bike to choose to practice on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice mate!

Thats what I was doing yesterday. Found a nice deserted industrial estate and was doing a few practice runs.

Power wheelies are no good I found as I really had to shift my body weight AWAY back to really get the front up to any decent height.

Off the clutch is much better and easier. Keeping it up and getting second is pure throttle control, sometimes I keep it there and other times I'd bugger it up.

Best wheelie I pulled yesterday though was by pure accident off the power, someone pissed me off after jumping a red light, I hammered away through a busy street and the front end came right up! Not one to miss an opportunity, I sneaked into 2nd and held it, much to the amazement of the row of cars stuck at the lights! Wink
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous, I need a quite place like that. I found a really long road, perfect for practice, but has got f***ing bumps all the way down. So if I do manage to shift into second up there, things could get a little interesting...
Embarassed
That must av felt so good going up on one just like that, although you can't get too angry... I find screaming helps.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I'm sure there is a road near you that will be empty, you just have to look!

Quote:
That must av felt so good going up on one just like that, although you can't get too angry... I find screaming helps.


It was good, until I realised I was fast approaching a car from the rear at a fair rate of knots!! Laughing
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you should have done then is pop a stoppie and really impressed everyone! ha ha silly car drivers


have a break, have a quick crap
Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now stoppies I CAN'T do..... Crying or Very sad

Never tried either, I prefer wheelies.... Thumbs Up
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha, can i give you a tip if you want to try then? i went on a track day at donnington and asked 'ol haslam "what goes"?

ok, you know superbikes and all that, if they went through a corner and whacked the throttle open they would just spin out? well, they search for the level of trip and how much it will take etc. it's the same with a stoppie. go about 30 to start, pull the front in slightly until you feel a little bite. then lean slightly forward and pull it in hard, varying the pressure. you wont go over (hopefully) unless you go faster.
does that help?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda, but not really interested in stopping!! Stoppies or otherwise, wheelies are far better crowd pullers! Just more to go wrong I feel trying to stoppie.

Had my first small off yesterday, don't want another one! Laughing
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:55 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, you have point there. would much rather wheelie than stoppie!
what happened yesterday? is your bike alright? one small off i had that always makes me laugh was practicing for my test ages ago. i was doing loads of u turns in my road, but hit some gravel in a drive. the wheel spun and slowly fell to the ground, while i was desperately trying to keep upright. felt like a right arse, but no1 was watching (hopefully) ha ha. scratched the fairing to shit though Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:02 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL read here:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=42969

Very similar! Laughing
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing stoppies you are slowing down... while wheelies you are speeding up.

Admittadely the bike is more likely to bugger off without you rather than bouncing ontop of you.

I stacked a wheely and a stoppy on my zx6 (first crashs on that bike) within two weeks of each other; the wheely crashed hurt me and the bike a /lot/ more.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you stoppie crashed did the bike not land on your head? i have this funny clip (its only funny coz he's ok after) where this guy is doing a HUGE stoppie towards the camera. its from some bike crash web site. anyway, his front wheel pops just as he's balanced up there, and the whole thing spins right on top of him. scary stuff, coz he's also doing some silly speed. i wish i could do both Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike went sideways as it landed on the nose; kinda rolled around it (was very low speed when it went past the balance point.)

Luckily the bike landed on my leg and there wasn't any fairing lowers on it, so the only damage was to the nose cone.
Unfortunately the wheelie ended up with a dented frame.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 01 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Dented' doesn't do that frame justice... how about concaved. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 100.56 Kb