|
|
| Author |
Message |
| buurt |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 buurt L Plate Warrior
Joined: 22 Dec 2016 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:48 - 22 Dec 2016 Post subject: Honda MTX 125r will not rev up |
 |
|
Hi!
I have a 1983 Honda MTX 125 witch problem.
It starts right up and idles well.
But when I try to rev it up, ut just reaches a certain rev and then stalls.
I have cleaned the carburator, new fuel, clean tank, checked plug, but not changed it.
I also tried sparaying start-gas in the intake, but then it dies right out.
I have also adjusted the float in the carb.
It had been standing still for some years when I got it home.
The first times I tried to start it, it only ran at full choke and full gas.
This problem was affected by moving the throttle needle setting for the lowest to the highest (or the other way).
I also once started it up and then it reved to max, over 9000 befor e I could stop it.
But now the problem is it will not rev and is wery weak.
I hope someone understand this, I am from Sweden:-)
I also uploaded a video of it running, hope it helps:
https://goo.gl/photos/nvPrpaUmsxiyMcYN6
Have a nice day!
Best regards Alex |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stirlinggaz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stirlinggaz World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 Jul 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:07 - 22 Dec 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
hi,
i owned a mtx 125/200 a few years ago & done a complete strip down (including engine) so still have a vague memory of how it all goes together.
do you have an air leak? (actually an air ingress) is it sucking in air anywhere?
test by starting it & spraying easy-start or something similar around the rubber connection between carb & airbox & the connection between carb & engine.
do revs increase? (WITHOUT touching throttle)
have you done a compression test?
& done the usual basics? why not use a new spark plug?
when you take the old spark plug out, is it wet? black?
try a new plug, is it giving a good healthy blue spark when its earthed against a bit of the frame thats unpainted & when you give it a couple of kicks?
oh, does your bike have the ATAC system fitted?
in uk we didnt get this, which is why i fitted a 200cc engine
im just thinking of all places that could suck in air & make it rev high like it did before.
usuals are rubber bits around carb & airbox (easy fix) or seal on engine (not so easy fix) but atac might be another culprit.
you are using the standard airbox & filter, yes?
original exhaust? with no holes on the long thin bit that gets hot enough to burn skin, if heat shield isnt fitted?
after all that, i'd be going back to the carb & making sure its at the stock settings. (sorry, i cant help with this, i gave my paper copy of the wsm away when i sold the bike (seemingly they are quite rare
)
cheers,
GAZ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mudcow007 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mudcow007 World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bypass2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bypass2 Spanner Monkey
Joined: 12 Sep 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RealRestore |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RealRestore L Plate Warrior
Joined: 22 Dec 2016 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:54 - 23 Dec 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Change the plug.
No really, put a new one in there. Anything else is pointless. This is the very first step in 2-stroke fault diagnosis.
if that doesn't work. Put the float height back to where it was before. I've never know a bikes float height spontaneously alter. Don't mess with it.
Does it have points ignition? You just described classic symptoms of retarded timing. Fit new points and gap them.
Check your fuel filter and tap for blockages.
Still shite? Check your reed valves for damage.
Stil rubbish. Consider your crank seals could be shot, although this usually causes starting problems. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| - |
This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 - Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Oct 2013 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| buurt |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 buurt L Plate Warrior
Joined: 22 Dec 2016 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:39 - 23 Dec 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
First of all, thank you all for replies!
I started the day with changing the plug for a new one, with no difference.
When I was running it, I noticed the flow from the exhaust system and felt weak, like a moped.
I then removed the exhaust system at the cylinder head, and Yes!
That was it.
It was clogged in the pipe inside the system!
I cut it apart, cleaned it out and welded it back.
So this issue is now solved.
I thank you all again, and I have read all the answers. I really did all those things, carb, flow of fuel, air, starting spray for leaks.
And all this time it was the exhaust.
(Some pics attached)
(Also a film without exhaust, you can say it runs different now:-)
You can also see the ATAC system working)
https://goo.gl/photos/gdCwoZ2rCPhWoz4V9
Merry christmas to you all! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 9 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|