Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Any decent learner books

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Any decent learner books Reply with quote

Sine I am sitting around waiting for the snow to melt, I thought I might as well buy a "Pass Your Practical Test" type book and read up on what I am meant to be practising.

Anyone got any advice on which books are any good?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a DSA approved one, read it once and found it impratical and patronising. So took my test without so much as another glance at it.

The thing is yes what it says is technically right, but wont apply to your test routes or to the area you ride in.

Your far better off getting an instructor to do a assesment/mock test lesson.

Or just knowing the basics and applying it to the area you'll do your test in (rememeber there are alot of routes). Everything you need to know for a test will be on the forums or you should know already having been riding for however long and having done your CBT.

I really think books are very limited, since it doesnt help you practise, doesnt apply to the real world really.
____________________
Previous - Gilera DNA50 / XVS125 Dragstar/Honda CBR 600F/GSF 650 Bandit
Current - 2013 Suzuki VZ800 Intruder
'Is this a rhetorical question?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my instructor is going to take me round some of the routes on my next lesson in a couple of weeks. The problem is that my test centre is about half an hour ride away, so by the time we get there, there is only an hour left to show me some of the many routes (I'm doing it in Blyth in Northumberland, and it is a maze of streets!)

The weather over the last 2 and a bit weeks has prevented me from getting out on the bike at all and I can feel the stuff I learnt last lesson draining from me so I thought at least I can learn the theory side of riding even if I can't get the bike out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah weathers a pain.

But any chance you get spend some time around the area, see if you cant spot some unlucky soul out on his test. I wouldnt advise following them cause the instructor might get annoyed (especially if you start stopping when they do etc..!) but just keep an eye out the kinds of places they might go.

Basically look for things like hidden stop signs, one way streets they might try an trick you on and anythin that screams 'test route!'

Best training is, as always, out in the saddle.
____________________
Previous - Gilera DNA50 / XVS125 Dragstar/Honda CBR 600F/GSF 650 Bandit
Current - 2013 Suzuki VZ800 Intruder
'Is this a rhetorical question?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:44 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the minute the temperature gets above 5 degrees, I am going to spend every spare minute out and about.

I'm not too bothered if I fail the test since biking is just a bit of a laugh and it's not like a car test where you can't drive on your own without a license so there's no real pressure on me. I just hate having 'L' plates!!!!! It's been 13 years since I last had them and it's embarassing at my age. Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:27 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

*grins*

Ride to the test centre.

Fail

Ride home.

Gotta love that system.
____________________
Previous - Gilera DNA50 / XVS125 Dragstar/Honda CBR 600F/GSF 650 Bandit
Current - 2013 Suzuki VZ800 Intruder
'Is this a rhetorical question?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 217 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.62 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 48.24 Kb