Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


clutch upgrade (bandit 6 to bandit 12)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

dandit
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:48 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: clutch upgrade (bandit 6 to bandit 12) Reply with quote

ok I have had a brainwave can I put the bandit12 clutch in my bandit6 or can I upgrade mine to hydraulic????? somehow I fink I would prefer hydraulic clutch IDEAS/ADVICE please Rolling Eyes
____________________
WHAT DO YOU MEAN 100 MPH THATS IMPOSSIBLE I STILL HAD 3 GEARS TO GO OFFICER. Currently riding a naked cbr 600 and driving a 52 plate 2litre tdci mondeo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: Re: clutch upgrade (bandit 6 to bandit 12) Reply with quote

dandit wrote:
ok I have had a brainwave can I put the bandit12 clutch in my bandit6 or can I upgrade mine to hydraulic????? somehow I fink I would prefer hydraulic clutch IDEAS/ADVICE please Rolling Eyes

First, what's up with your current clutch?

I doubt they will be compatible, if they are, then it will probably be because they exactly the same item, so no point 'upgrading'.

You could probably somehow bodge a hydraulic system on, but unless you have serious problems with your left hand, I don't see it effecting much.

Even on the zx9 that has a relatively very heavy clutch, I was fine using it for long rides etc. Only time I had a problem was after holding it in for extended periods when bump starting; which made me realise that it was actually quite heavy.

Technically the bandit 1200 clutch should be harder to pull in, while the hydraulic clutch should make it easier. So wanting one or the other doesn't seem to make sense Confused.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Guest
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to seriously mod the 600 sprocket cover - ally welding and then some machining - to accept the 1200 slave cylinder. Not worth the hassle IMO Thumbs Down
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of putting the old gsxr 750 head on it and would just like to have a hydralic clutch aswell Laughing just an idea I had thats all as all my bikes I have had I have snapped clutch cables even though I lube and adjust regulary
____________________
WHAT DO YOU MEAN 100 MPH THATS IMPOSSIBLE I STILL HAD 3 GEARS TO GO OFFICER. Currently riding a naked cbr 600 and driving a 52 plate 2litre tdci mondeo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a Bandit 12.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Just buy a Bandit 12.
wanna pay my insurance Laughing Laughing its almost double infact some companys its over double Shocked
____________________
WHAT DO YOU MEAN 100 MPH THATS IMPOSSIBLE I STILL HAD 3 GEARS TO GO OFFICER. Currently riding a naked cbr 600 and driving a 52 plate 2litre tdci mondeo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, hydraulic clutches can go wrong as well!

Had to help a bloke at work fill up and bleed his clutch because he could hardly use it at all as it had leaked.

More likely to go in a crash as well, I suspect.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Remember, hydraulic clutches can go wrong as well!

Had to help a bloke at work fill up and bleed his clutch because he could hardly use it at all as it had leaked.

More likely to go in a crash as well, I suspect.
hmm I dont do crashes well not yet anyway Laughing and as long as it gets checked regulary theres no reason why it should go plus i could have 2 steel braided hoses well 3 coz theres 2 on the front brake and it would look better Laughing Laughing
____________________
WHAT DO YOU MEAN 100 MPH THATS IMPOSSIBLE I STILL HAD 3 GEARS TO GO OFFICER. Currently riding a naked cbr 600 and driving a 52 plate 2litre tdci mondeo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason a clutch cable should go if it's checked regularly Smile.

You could always get a braided steel outer for your clutch cable; would be a lot easier than modifying the bike to work with a hydraulic clutch.

Paying the insurance on the bandit 12 may well be cheaper than getting something like that made up for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think the Bandit 1200 clutch is based on the GSXR750 design but with hydraulic actuation (think the 750 is cable operated). Easiest thing to do would be to use a 750 clutch.

The 1200 clutch is not that strong, which is why mine has Barnett plates and springs in it (once the engine was played with it let go by about 6000rpm in every gear, even with brand new plates).

If the Bandit 600 clutch is actuated on the clutch cover then it would probably be a major amount of work as you would need to machine the crankcases to accept the actuating rod that goes through the gearbox, assuming that is possible.

Personally I far prefer hydraulic clutches to cable ones. Never had any real problems with hydralic ones, but had quite a few cables snap or just get too stiff to use smoothly.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the B12 clutch is based loosely around the GSXR1100 one but is an inferior piece of shit needing a steel band wrapped around it to keep it in one piece.

If you fitted a B12 or 1100 clutch you would need to fit a 5 speed gearbox as the clutch shaft has different splines. You would also need to change the primary gear as all the clutchs use a different tooth count and or profile.

The easiest way for you to do it would be to get all the bits from a hydraulic clutch GSXR750J/K (I think) or even earlier but you will be looking at a huge bill.

I will try to have a look at some of my scrap engines and see if I can work out how to do it cheaply.

Note that it is possible to do all of it with genuine Suzuki parts with out having to modify anything like some people are telling you. For example my 750RK which has a cable as standard now has a hydro clutch.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesnt have to be a b12 but I'd realy like a hydraulic clutch as I have had a few hydraulics and never had problems with them but cable ones are an arse especily in winter when it gets caked up with salt and crap hmm hydraulic clutch is the way to go me thinks... keep the ideas comming folks Thumbs Up Laughing Laughing Laughing I would like to bin the cable operated one its arse
____________________
WHAT DO YOU MEAN 100 MPH THATS IMPOSSIBLE I STILL HAD 3 GEARS TO GO OFFICER. Currently riding a naked cbr 600 and driving a 52 plate 2litre tdci mondeo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you haven't just been unlucky with cables?

I've only had one cable snap and I knew it was going anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 04 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Sure you haven't just been unlucky with cables?

I've only had one cable snap and I knew it was going anyway.
I have had 4 bikes last year with cables and 3 of them snapped the other was a brand new bike and i checked lubed and adjusted regulary
____________________
WHAT DO YOU MEAN 100 MPH THATS IMPOSSIBLE I STILL HAD 3 GEARS TO GO OFFICER. Currently riding a naked cbr 600 and driving a 52 plate 2litre tdci mondeo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:47 - 05 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if You have the money I'll do the work.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 05 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Well if You have the money I'll do the work.
what work? total b12 conversion? or just conversion to hydraulic because I just want hydraulic
____________________
WHAT DO YOU MEAN 100 MPH THATS IMPOSSIBLE I STILL HAD 3 GEARS TO GO OFFICER. Currently riding a naked cbr 600 and driving a 52 plate 2litre tdci mondeo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:05 - 09 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember the clutch cable on a B6 goes to the sprocket cover so you should just get away with a B12 (if not one off a 1052 GSXR) sprocket cover, master cylinder, clutch hose, fluid and a little fucking around with the push rod length.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:29 - 09 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
If I remember the clutch cable on a B6 goes to the sprocket cover so you should just get away with a B12 (if not one off a 1052 GSXR) sprocket cover, master cylinder, clutch hose, fluid and a little fucking around with the push rod length.
Your a star I will have a look and see soon coz my mot runs out on 19th and it will be comming off road as it wont pass and it needs a fair bit of cash thrown at it. Might do a little rebore nout to much just a fresh surface as its done 33,000 miles now so might like it . I think I will do a bit of head work top it just don't know what yet
____________________
WHAT DO YOU MEAN 100 MPH THATS IMPOSSIBLE I STILL HAD 3 GEARS TO GO OFFICER. Currently riding a naked cbr 600 and driving a 52 plate 2litre tdci mondeo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 09 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have money for all this, but not to bump your insurance up 2 or 3 hundred to insure a bigger bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 09 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
So you have money for all this, but not to bump your insurance up 2 or 3 hundred to insure a bigger bike.
I see your point but all the changes can be made over a few months where as i like to pay my insurance in one go and Im happy paying £450 for the 600 rather than over a grand to insure the 1200 bandit
____________________
WHAT DO YOU MEAN 100 MPH THATS IMPOSSIBLE I STILL HAD 3 GEARS TO GO OFFICER. Currently riding a naked cbr 600 and driving a 52 plate 2litre tdci mondeo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:25 - 09 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm a bandit engine will not need a rebore at 33,000 at all!

At the mileage its going to barely worn.

And as for hydralic clutches get a VFR750 or a Triumph if you really want one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 09 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigZZR wrote:
Erm a bandit engine will not need a rebore at 33,000 at all!

At the mileage its going to barely worn.

And as for hydralic clutches get a VFR750 or a Triumph if you really want one.
you havent seen how I ride!!!! my engine was silent and tight when I got it now its rattleing and loose and I have changed oil every 2500 miles
____________________
WHAT DO YOU MEAN 100 MPH THATS IMPOSSIBLE I STILL HAD 3 GEARS TO GO OFFICER. Currently riding a naked cbr 600 and driving a 52 plate 2litre tdci mondeo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 09 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you are tempted with a 1200 Bandit then check the insurance. It is one group lower than a GSXR600, and people on here have got those insured for well under £1k having just passed their tests.

The noise is likely to be the valves rather than the bores. If the bores / pistons were worn enough to make a load of noise then the oil consumption would probably be hideous. The Bandit valves are meant to be regularly adjusted (from memory, every service).

All the best

Keith (also a fan of hydraulic clutches rather than cables)
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 09 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's prob'ly not your bore but your cam chain and adjuster needing replacing.

If you want more power fit a GSX750F top end, it bolts straight on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 09 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
It's prob'ly not your bore but your cam chain and adjuster needing replacing.

If you want more power fit a GSX750F top end, it bolts straight on.
I am hoping to source a 750 top end but if not she shall be bored out. or could I get the 750 head bored out? I know it dont realy need a bore but it cant hurt it Laughing
____________________
WHAT DO YOU MEAN 100 MPH THATS IMPOSSIBLE I STILL HAD 3 GEARS TO GO OFFICER. Currently riding a naked cbr 600 and driving a 52 plate 2litre tdci mondeo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.96 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.89 Kb