Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Calling all abnormally tall riders

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 24 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Calling all abnormally tall riders Reply with quote

What bikes do you ride/'fit' you best?

I'm 6ft 4in and 16.5 stone, and am in the market for a new bike.

Have owned a bandit, old shape hornet, and currently have a 2013 Bonneville T100.

Bandit and Hornet were just meh, love my bonnie and find the down below foot peg position fits my lanky legs best, but am wanting to chop it in for something a bit more 'dynamic'. Only real idea so far is XSR900, but not fully sold on it.

Got no real preference as to what kind of bike (don't want a full on sports bike or adventure nonsense though) so would be interested in what works for other tall, and in my case, slightly overweight fuckers?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual mention is a proper Supermoto, but they're not to everyones taste. Also the suspension on them is usually soft so any high seat height turns into an average seat height once you sit on them. Could be sorted no problem of course but where do you draw the line on spending?
____________________
I want your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle.
Suzuki GP125 Suzuki GSX600F Suzuki SV650S KTM EXC250F SkyTeam Bongo 125
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/SnowdoniaRider
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Calling all abnormally tall riders Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
Got no real preference as to what kind of bike (don't want a full on sports bike or adventure nonsense though) so would be interested in what works for other tall, and in my case, slightly overweight fuckers?

There goes my suggestion. A guy at work has a beast of BMW, I think the R1200, if I tried to ride it I'd drop the thing almost immediately.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the thread " Today I did borrow this" and you will see the Ducati Hyper-motard i did have the use of for a day.

Like you , i am a chunky monkey 6`4" and seventeen and a half stone (in my case all fat Laughing ) .
it is plenty big enough and has enough oomph to drag fatties like us around Thumbs Up

EDIT : oops, just saw the bit about adventure bikes, never mind Smile
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!


Last edited by pepperami on 16:24 - 05 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'5 and ride a TDM900

I find the adventure style bikes fit best.

I'll be looking at a 900 tracer next.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 24 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'm making my life hard for myself with the no adventure bikes thing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:47 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget?

I think you're limiting yourself and avoiding some cracking bikes by saying no adventure style bikes. What is your reasoning behind this? Genuine question, not taking a dig.

I can understand if you mean traditional adventure bikes like the GS range, Vstrom, etc. if you don't want to look like a Boorman/McGregor wannabe but what about the adventure-sport style bikes for want of a better term? I'm thinking those with normal 17" front wheels, like the Tracer 900, Multistrada, Tiger Sport/1050, Versys 1k, 1290 Superduke (or even the earlier 990). They're all really capable bikes and probably all a step ahead of what you've had already in performance.

If it's mainly short rides then Ducati Hypermotard, Aprilia Dorsoduro are worth a look. Then there is the more traditional supermotos in the form of converted MX bikes or the likes of the KTM 640/690 series.

Sprint ST1050 isn't bad for tall people either if you prefer something more sport-styled. My mate had a few and he makes his multistrada look like a Grom. You could probably make most of the big sports tourers work to be honest.


Last edited by kgm on 16:56 - 05 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also have a look at https://cycle-ergo.com/ for an indication of how each bike might fit you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 24 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:14 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget is flexible, I'll pay the going rate for the right bike. Probs something sub 9k new though (although I'll probs buy ex demo or nearly new)

Maybe I'm being to dismissive of all adventure bikes. I have no interest in the monstrous BMW GS bikes, or the fully loaded Triumph Explorers despite the fact I know they're great bikes at what they do. I ride entirely on road (both local pootling and longer trips to the continent and top of Scotland) so don't want to be paying 10k plus for something with off road pretensions.

The tracer interests me actually, I'd forgotten about that as it seems to sit between adventure and sports tourers markets. Has almost universal good reviews too...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:

The tracer interests me actually, I'd forgotten about that as it seems to sit between adventure and sports tourers markets. Has almost universal good reviews too...


Top Choice!
Cool
____________________
Riding: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer Occasionally Riding: 08 Suzuki SV650, Potato: 2011 Yamaha YBR Custom.
Used to ride: 2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (smidsy) 09 Triumph Street Triple (P/X'd) 08 Yamaha YBR (Sold)
CBT 04/14. A: Mod 1 & 2 13/04/15
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
Budget is flexible, I'll pay the going rate for the right bike. Probs something sub 9k new though (although I'll probs buy ex demo or nearly new)

Maybe I'm being to dismissive of all adventure bikes. I have no interest in the monstrous BMW GS bikes, or the fully loaded Triumph Explorers despite the fact I know they're great bikes at what they do. I ride entirely on road (both local pootling and longer trips to the continent and top of Scotland) so don't want to be paying 10k plus for something with off road pretensions.

The tracer interests me actually, I'd forgotten about that as it seems to sit between adventure and sports tourers markets. Has almost universal good reviews too...


I get that, I'm not a huge fan of the beasts either but that's cause I'm a short arse and the standing weight can be an issue on some. There are quite a few that sit in between with the tracer that are worth looking at. I do think the tracer appears the best balance of entertaining and comfort though, and at a good value price. It'll likely be my next bike, the only potential sticking point is the high pillion pegs as I need the mrs to be comfortable on the back, hence also looking at the VFR800X. Might not be an issue if my CX500 works out well for two up once it's on the road again. I'd definitely recommending havving a look at the likes of the superduke/SMT series and the Tiger sport. They're closer to tall nakeds than adventure beasts and can really be flung around - ideal for the narrow technical stuff in the north of Scotland.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:20 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
Budget is flexible, I'll pay the going rate for the right bike. Probs something sub 9k new though (although I'll probs buy ex demo or nearly new)

Maybe I'm being to dismissive of all adventure bikes. I have no interest in the monstrous BMW GS bikes, or the fully loaded Triumph Explorers despite the fact I know they're great bikes at what they do. I ride entirely on road (both local pootling and longer trips to the continent and top of Scotland) so don't want to be paying 10k plus for something with off road pretensions.

The tracer interests me actually, I'd forgotten about that as it seems to sit between adventure and sports tourers markets. Has almost universal good reviews too...


Also the Tiger 1050 & TDM both at totally road focused.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM 950/990 SM? Or if you fancy a sportsbike, the KTM RC8 is spacious (and very adjustable).
____________________
Current: Ducati Panigale R / Ducati Streetfighter S / Suzuki GSX-R1000 L5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busa.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6' 3", and I'll second the Crossrunner. Had a decent play on the 800 a friend has, and it's very comfy and not really designed for offroad, despite the marketing blurb. Will keep up surprisingly well with a decent rider aboard. He sticks with most bikes unless they're battering it down the road.
____________________
'98 VFR800 (touring) - '12 VFR800 Crosrunner (Commuting) - '01 KDX220 (Big Green Antisocial Machine)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always considered the 'busa a bit of a shortie bike. Low-ish seat and high pegs. For that kind of bike, the ZX-12R is a better bet.
____________________
Current: Ducati Panigale R / Ducati Streetfighter S / Suzuki GSX-R1000 L5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:24 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Blackbird is quite comfortable and I'm 6'2" and 15st.
____________________
Current Bikes: BMW K1200S
Previous: Honda CBR929RR, Honda CBR1100XX, Honda CB600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only sat on it static but the MT09 Tracer fitted me rather well at 6'6".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 24 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:24 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossrunner could be a shout, it's on the shortlist with the tracer

Blackbird is interesting - I was thinking a bid sports tourer like a z1000sx or whatever the one triumph does could be a shout. Or do they have your feet tucked up behind you like a sports bike?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:44 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6' 4", check my sig.
The BMW was simply too fast for the safety of my licence; the Shiver is spot on.
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 24 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:45 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely bum the looks of the shiver 900, wonder if the ergos will work for me?

Might just fuck sensible off and go buy the Monster 821 for sale near me, deal with any crippling ergo problems later
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

derillius24
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 08 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:24 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM 990 Superduke?

A good friend of mine has one and I've ridden it for prolonged periods. I'm 6'3" and it is very roomy. Great arse-to-peg ergos compared to my Street Triple. Loads of grunt, too. It'll happily pull your big frame along all day.
____________________
CG125, CBF250, DRZ400-SM, Z750, Street Triple R, Tuono V4R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:45 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
Crossrunner could be a shout, it's on the shortlist with the tracer

Blackbird is interesting - I was thinking a bid sports tourer like a z1000sx or whatever the one triumph does could be a shout. Or do they have your feet tucked up behind you like a sports bike?


That would be the Triumph Sprint, Nobby has one.

The Blackbird is a little tucked up with the legs, but I manage a few hours without a break and it's fine. Go sit on one and see what you think. Although I think there are some other recommendations on here that might be more suited, but I haven't tried any of them, so couldn't possible comment.
____________________
Current Bikes: BMW K1200S
Previous: Honda CBR929RR, Honda CBR1100XX, Honda CB600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Calling all abnormally tall riders Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
What bikes do you ride/'fit' you best?


I'm not tall at 5ft 7" - I am also not fat or chunky, however I am lanky. Inside leg 35" so I'm flat footed on the Kwak Versys 650 I ride (not lowered). Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, what did you decide in the end?
____________________
Riding: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer Occasionally Riding: 08 Suzuki SV650, Potato: 2011 Yamaha YBR Custom.
Used to ride: 2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (smidsy) 09 Triumph Street Triple (P/X'd) 08 Yamaha YBR (Sold)
CBT 04/14. A: Mod 1 & 2 13/04/15
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 101 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.45 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.16 Kb