|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Nomad Z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nomad Z Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 25 Oct 2015 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:55 - 09 Jun 2017 Post subject: Got An NIP - Traffic Lights |
 |
|
Just got home from work to find an NIP letter from Police Scotland, saying that I failed to comply with a traffic light signal. It's within the 14 days (2nd June), I would have been the rider, and I would have been there at the stated time (15:30). I certainly have no recollection of running a red light, which I don't do as a rule, so possibly not stopping on amber, or maybe not having the bike behind the stop line. It's a fairly busy stretch, and I would have been filtering, so going slowly in stop-start traffic.
The lights in question are here...
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9429416,-3.2845563,3a,57.5y,269.86h,81.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAFR2NdgR_YViXSelTpMu4A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
I would be heading west, and very probably filtering in the bit of bus lane next to the railings where there is no left turn. Notable, perhaps, that there is no access to this bit for pedestrians due to railings (but probably not mitigating from my perspective).
I assume I have no choice but to complete the NIP. I gather I can also request a copy of the photographic evidence. Can't see that it would be much use other than to satisfy my own curiosity as to what actually happened. I have no reason to suppose the lights themselves were faulty or otherwise illegal.
Can this be got out of, or am I looking at a definite 3 points and £100 fine? Assuming I do get busted, am I obliged to tell my insurer immediately, or can it be left until renewal time? Do I have to tell both the bike insurer and car insurer?
What sort of impact is this likely to have on the insurance? I have no other points, claims or convictions, and haven't had for least 10 years. Currently have 1 years NCD on the bike insurance. If the photographic evidence shows something minor like the wheel going a bit over the line into an area that pedestrians don't use, will that potentially help with insurance not getting hit too hard? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:16 - 09 Jun 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'd ask for the photograph just to see how I was done. I presume there is a few milliseconds after it turns red before the camera is activated so you would be well past the stop line.
OR
You were sitting with your wheel over the line
OR
Did you filter and pull in front of the waiting cars into the space before the box junction?
I'd want to know, even if you can't get out of it, for future reference so you don't do it again.
And I'm curious what you did as well  ____________________ Victory Cross Country American tractor. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nomad Z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nomad Z Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 25 Oct 2015 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:06 - 09 Jun 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
Nothing much to add really. Complete the S172, ask for their evidence, if any.
To be honest, PePiPoo is better for this sort of thing. They will want to see every document that you're sent, and have a "Let's you and him fite" attitude (it's easy to gamble with other people's wallets), so make your own decision about whether to fess up or not.
https://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=5
On a personal note, I treat red lights as advisories and have had one SP10 in 28 years, so it's not something that should really bother you too much. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kgm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kgm World Chat Champion
Joined: 04 Jun 2015 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kawakid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kawakid World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| suburban myth |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 suburban myth Spanner Monkey
Joined: 13 Feb 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ScaredyCat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ScaredyCat World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 May 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AshWebster |
This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 AshWebster Brolly Dolly

Joined: 05 Jan 2017 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CaNsA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CaNsA Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Jan 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZebraDriver |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZebraDriver Scooby Slapper
Joined: 13 Feb 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nomad Z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nomad Z Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 25 Oct 2015 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tracer1234 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tracer1234 World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Sep 2014 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Speedy2007 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Speedy2007 Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 24 Oct 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 9 years, 92 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|