Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Lowering the Tiger 800 XcX

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

turningCircle
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 10 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:02 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Lowering the Tiger 800 XcX Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I'm looking at buying the Triumph Tiger 800 XcX. Being a short arse, I was considering the LOW version. (Up to 50mm lower). I'm 5ft, 8 and I just don't quite get enough standing stability on the standard XcX.

I'm not bothered about being able to plant both feet but I do like to feel the ground. Frustratingly, the LOW model isn't often manufactured and so is in low supply (and will be for the foreseeable). The Triumph dealership has offered to lower the standard XcX for me (suspension and seat) by up to 30mm (would be the perfect height), however, I don't know whether that's a great idea.

It feels like i'm buying a new bike only to make a significant change to it. I'm concerned how it will affect the ride.

Does anyone have any experience around lowering adventure bikes? Something to be concerned about or am I making a big deal out of nothing?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

caragh
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:25 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reason for not choosing the xrx it's already lower by design.
____________________
Triumph Tiger 800 XR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

turningCircle
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 10 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:36 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

caragh wrote:
Any reason for not choosing the xrx it's already lower by design.


I like the XrX, it's a good size for me but it is very road biased. I'm a big fan of the long travel suspension and front tyre on the.XcX. That said, not ruling it out!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:12 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

turningCircle wrote:
I like the XrX, it's a good size for me but it is very road biased.


Where it will spend most, if not all, of it's time.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

caragh
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:15 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where your coming from but unless your need the ground clearance the xrx is capable off road to a point. Although they are both way to heavy for anything too arduous. Only a personal opinion and not in anyway directed at yourself I think the xc versions are bought for the looks rather than abilities for a large % of riders.
Not that there's anything wrong in that at all 😊👍
____________________
Triumph Tiger 800 XR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the factory lowered version of the lowered, road biased "F650GS" (F800GS with RWU shocks and road wheels).

It's fine to ride, and ridiculously low. We're talking Grom 125 low, I can flat foot both sides easily. You sling your leg over it and think... where's the bike?

But it doesn't feel low or cramped on the move, the bars still fit above car mirrors, and if you want to get a better view, stand on the pegs.

In my extensive off roading career (a field in Wales, the occasional bit of gravel to get a Photo Challenge picture) it's been fine. Since I have absolutely no delusions about taking it any further off road than that, the reduced ground clearance isn't an issue.

The only negative is that it can't fit the standard centre stand. Again though, since I'm not going to be servicing it in Outer Mongolia, pas de problème.

If you're being offered a legit lowering service, I'd go for it.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.73 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 49.66 Kb