Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Helmet speakers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Petemate
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Helmet speakers Reply with quote

As per title.

Well, that was a waste of £2.99 and some time. I should have known better, and researched more. Tried them in the helmet (Box 1, very comfy helmet) but they felt uncomfortable, presing on my ears, and I couldn't get my glasses on with them in.

So after seeing that there are quite a few helmets now on the market (and probably have been for a while) with built-in Bluetooth speakers, I now know what I want for my birthday.

Such a lot has gone on since I was on bikes 23 years ago. When I was despatching then, I did have a helmet which was quite accommodating for speakers and had a pair in with no problems. But at my age I now can't even remember what make of helmet it was. Doh.
____________________
82 not out....1983 Honda LA250 Custom
2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 Tid 150 Vector Sport estate
2005 Stirling Eccles Topaz 2-berth
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:12 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All helmet speakers are pants.

These on the other hand, are awesome.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-PLUGFONES-YELLOW-Earplugs-with-Music-Headphones-3-5mm-Jack-FREE-UK-PP-/172350931433?epid=222671422&hash=item2820ea81e9:g:LhUAAMXQC-tS~j0o
____________________
Current bike - 2018 H2-SX, 2004 SV1000s, 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF, 2017 Sherco SERF 300, 2003 Suzuki DRZ400 (stolen - AY53 JUU)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:


how do you get your helmet on without it ripping the buds out Confused struggling with this at the moment
____________________
Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to get on with earphones, even going down the route of having some custom made ones (where they take a mould of the inside of your ear) - they were _terrible_ - I could almost feel the wind noise destroying my hearing, so I ditched those after two uses. I've gone through cheap ones, decent quality ones, the ones that come with a new phone and so on.
The most effective ones are Bose QuietComfort 20 headphones (which are f'kng superb in an office - they have active noise cancelling - the earbuds have microphones in them which means that they can play the inverted sound into your ear, effectively cancelling out the background noise) - but they're expensive and [IMO] too bulky for helmet use.

My current [and preferred] solution is to use a Sena SMH10 along with standard yellow foam earplugs. I can listen to music, take phone calls and have good protection from wind noise. I've had this setup for two years now and it's been rock solid (I use it for 2.5~3 hours a day, all year around) - in this config (with foamy earplugs) music volume is good enough, it won't blow you away but it's good enough to hear it well.

The only thing that could tempt me away is a Nuviz, but it's still quite new. (I'd want it to replace my Sena and my camera, and give me a HUD into the bargain - but it currently has feature's that are 'coming soon', so I'm just watching with interest at the moment...)
____________________
'12 NC700S & '12 CB600F Hornet [Stolen by some dickless twat] Suzuki GT500 shed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Monkeypony wrote:


how do you get your helmet on without it ripping the buds out Confused struggling with this at the moment


I've never had an issue with them. Then again, being a bald git I always wear a balaclava under my lid, so maybe that's why.
____________________
Current bike - 2018 H2-SX, 2004 SV1000s, 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF, 2017 Sherco SERF 300, 2003 Suzuki DRZ400 (stolen - AY53 JUU)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WimbleHJR
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 27 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:38 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

My current [and preferred] solution is to use a Sena SMH10 along with standard yellow foam earplugs. I can listen to music, take phone calls and have good protection from wind noise. I've had this setup for two years now and it's been rock solid (I use it for 2.5~3 hours a day, all year around) - in this config (with foamy earplugs) music volume is good enough, it won't blow you away but it's good enough to hear it well.



Same solution for me. Tried all kinds of earphones, wired headsets etc but they were just a ballache. Now I just chuck my helmet on, turn headset on and job done. Even cruising at "motorway" speeds I can still hear music over any wind noise.
____________________
YBR125, FZS600, FZ6 S2 F800ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:03 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

I've never had an issue with them. Then again, being a bald git I always wear a balaclava under my lid, so maybe that's why.


That would do it.

I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy having audio whilst riding, so instead of spending upwards of £200 on a sena or cardo and then trying to flog it at a loss I got a tcom for about £40. Unit wasn't bad but had a few flaws, couldn't use voice commands and sound wasn't great, but overall did the job. However after recent downpours it must have got a bit wet and just wouldn't switch on so I sent it back for a full refund.

Using buds at the moment, but struggling with all the faff. Looked at a few units like the cardo packtalk and sena 20s, but with the drift already stuck to the side of my helmet, didn't want another bulky controller sticking out. Looked at a few "hidden" systems like the cardo sho-1, sena 10u, and autocom air.

Another option was waiting it out until sena release the 10c evo, which is a revised 1080p version of the 10c, that's an all in one camera and intercom.

In the end I couldn't decide and have just invested in a decent quality set of flat wired earphones from uclear.

That Nuviz looks amazing but you're right better to wait a bit, reminiscent of skully Laughing
____________________
Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Petemate
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:15 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, many thanks guys (& gals?) for all the replies and info. I am tempted to try some of the ear-plug/speaker things, but I am a bit wary of having clearance problems when putting the helmet on. Although my current helmet is a nice fit once on, no undue noise etc., I do have to really pull the lower 'ears' of it apart to get the helmet off and it is very tight coming past my ears (which do not stick out much).

Which brings me to the question - how do other riders get on with Bluetooth helmets with built-in speakers?
____________________
82 not out....1983 Honda LA250 Custom
2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 Tid 150 Vector Sport estate
2005 Stirling Eccles Topaz 2-berth
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a jerry-rig DIY affair with my last helmet and hacked some over ear speakers into the intended recess/recepticle in the lid and used a little bluetooth receiver with a 3.5mm stereo jack. It worked pretty well, it made me giggle that I could change track or pause etc with my chin to tap the buttons. Volume was pretty shit though, it was very much useless anything over 60.

I didn't bother with the Shoei, I wasn't that impressed enough to arse about charging the receiver every day to do it again.
____________________
Current bikes: '08 VFR 800 VTEC(yo) , '07 ZZR1400 Winter hack: '95 Aprilia 650 Pegaso Currently lusting after: RC30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else used the plugphones?

The problem I find with normal earphones is that they press against the helmet and your ear so you can't actually hear the music; unless you open your mouth widely.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony headphones work ok. Don't want blaring music or silence. They cut wind noise down enough. Bought from airport Dixons, got a 3 year replace guarantee for a tenner. If(when) I do break them, I get a new pair until guarantee runs out....work with android phone as hands-free kit too.
____________________
Some bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:56 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scala rider something and when you choose your next hat look for cut outs at the ear level to accept speakers.

Properly fitted speakers are much better than earphones.
You can phanny about with speaker angle of dangle to aim the sound straight in your lug hole. That ensure you block out other noise and get the full effect of your speaker.

What sort of sounds are you into?

West Life, Little Mix etc?
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Petemate
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it is mainly for use with my i phone, using the Navmii app. I am very used to the Nav as I use it frequently in the car and I like the way it comes across. Other than that, when I may be on any long familiar routes, I think maybe I could enjoy some tunes, like I used to then commuting down to LHR on the Reveres in the early nineties. I had a nice stereo unit on the fairing with my headphones plugged in. No satnavs then (at least not for me lol)
____________________
82 not out....1983 Honda LA250 Custom
2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 Tid 150 Vector Sport estate
2005 Stirling Eccles Topaz 2-berth
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper



Joined: 10 Jun 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried this yet, but I plan to:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5314708
____________________
2008 Aprilia Sportcity 250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:16 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
Haven't tried this yet, but I plan to:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5314708


Not sure that will work. I think it will end up being a pain to put on with the helmet and squash the ears too much.
____________________
Riding: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer Occasionally Riding: 08 Suzuki SV650, Potato: 2011 Yamaha YBR Custom.
Used to ride: 2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (smidsy) 09 Triumph Street Triple (P/X'd) 08 Yamaha YBR (Sold)
CBT 04/14. A: Mod 1 & 2 13/04/15
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:14 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
Haven't tried this yet, but I plan to:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5314708


If you want to try this, it's about £4 from AliExpress. We use them in work, take the innards out and put them in ear defenders.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fashion-Wireless-Bluetooth-Smart-Warm-Winter-Hats-for-Women-Men-Caps-Headphone-Headset-Speaker-Mic-Cap/32772197786.html
____________________
'98 VFR800 (touring) - '12 VFR800 Crosrunner (Commuting) - '01 KDX220 (Big Green Antisocial Machine)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:39 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back from a long trip yesterday with my new set up.

£5 helmet speaker set up - Ebay.

£18 Rechargeable Mp3 amp - Ebay

£1 3.5mm 150mm jack to jack lead - Ebay.

Using double sided tape I attached the amp to my Mp3 player, connected the earphone out socket to the Line In on the amp, then plugged in the speakers which I fitted into my very quiet Schuberth C2 helmet. After a bit of adjustment of position of the speakers the result was perfect. The amp was only set on 4 out of 10 but was loud enough to hear at 80mph. It fits in the top pocket of my jacket and lasts about 9 hours on one charge.
____________________
M.O.B. Successfully taking the piss since 2014.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aky208
Nova Slayer



Joined: 02 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to try these out, bit expensive though.

https://www.syphonsound.com/store/p1/Syphon_%C2%A0Soundwrap__%28Available_Now%21%29.html
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:28 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got the agv voice kit fitted into an agv helmet and it works great, got the buttons on the outside of the helmet for volume control, radio station and input selection. Volume is ok into 3 figures then wind noise takes over but its still audible.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.37 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 106.5 Kb