Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Mothballing bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Mothballing bike Reply with quote

So, following a recent shoulder injury I've been scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks, which I'm told will stop me from driving for 2 months minimum and Gawd knows how long from biking Crying or Very sad So much for my summer touring plans.

The op happens the day after I get back from my hols, so this weekend will be my last on 2 wheels for quite some time. Apart from making sure it's nice and clean on Sunday evening, what else should I be doing to the bike to keep it in good shape, please (considering worst-case scenario, the lay-off could run to several months, or even indefinitely Shocked)? The bike (V-Strom 650) lives in a dry garage, on a centre stand.

I've been advised to brim the fuel tank to keep water vapour out, and I've got a battery trickle charger thingy. Apply for SORN. Rotate the wheels occasionally - anything else?
____________________
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS->R1250RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The999Kid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:54 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

change oil and filter, so the shit dredged up by your current oil doesnt settle in the sump and become a solid crap lump thats difficult to remove,

or just drain oil and make a note to refill prior to resuming normal level of holloganism
____________________
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fuel stabiliser would help if you think it'll be used again in 3-4 months odd (if only to stop the fuel in the pump etc varnishing up) but longer than that and I'd probably drain the tank.
Assuming it's a metal (rather than Plastic) tank I'd just give it a squirt of duck oil or something similar.
I don't know if it's wise to drain the full fuel system....
____________________
The above comment isn't necessarily the truth and anyone that says it is, is only correct if it's the truth or they're bigger than me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:28 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother doing anything, particularly this time of year. I've left the bike outside for a few months at a time, and apart from the battery getting a bit weak (it still started) it was fine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 09 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:13 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months?

Brim the tank, keep the battery charged, turn it over for a few mins once a fortnight.

Move back and forward a bit to stop tyres misshappening maybe, at most.

My 00 x6r was simply left for a couple years (tank off, but otherwise nothing else)

New battery, new tyres and fired up nicely.
____________________
DanceLikeAMonkey says: "An infinte amount of web pages available
Yet I still end up reading crap like that"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:15 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been advised to brim the fuel tank to keep water vapour out, and I've got a battery trickle charger thingy. Apply for SORN. Rotate the wheels occasionally -
Thumbs Up
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:43 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Am expecting a bottle of stabilizer from Amazon in the morning Thumbs Up
owl10 wrote:
turn it over for a few mins once a fortnight.

See, that's the one I'm not sure about. I've certainly seen that advice proffered elsewhere, but at the same time others say you should never fire up the engine while it's in storage unless you're definitely going to run it to full operating temperature, otherwise you're just introducing damaging condensation into the engine and exhaust...
____________________
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS->R1250RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:21 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a long layoff, I'd not bother with fuel stabilisers. Think of all those new cars sitting in compounds for over a year..or 2nd hand bikes in showrooms...d'yer think they have fuel stabilisers?
Brimming the tank so no air gap for condensation to accumulate is the main thing. You could spray a bit of WD40 up the exhausts and bung a rag in.

Don't bother starting the engine unless you're going to ride it.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:25 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 bikes and my summer ride gets left for half the year.

I bag the exhaust.
I take the battery out of the bike and keept it in the house nd charge it once a month.

I also have some carpet in the garage and the wheels go on this. (Due to a seriously cold winter years ago and a tyre miss shaping).

Saying that you have a centre stand, so one wheel will be fine.

The oil change is a good idea too.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whereas I would use the Fuel Stabiliser, purely as new Ethanol fuel loses it's octane very quickly, whilst attracting moisture at the same time.
If you were 100% certain that you'd be using it again within a few months then maybe not, but as you really have no idea if it'll be a few months or a year+, it's easier to take that minor precaution.

As for bikes/cars in showrooms.
Do they really keep anything more than a few drops in them for any length of time? I'd guess they're near empty and filled from a can if they going to be test ridden/driven...
____________________
The above comment isn't necessarily the truth and anyone that says it is, is only correct if it's the truth or they're bigger than me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1198
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park it up, give it a quick clean, lub the chain, walk away happy.
Depending on the bike I'd suggest removing the battery and giving it charge every few weeks, but that's all.
I certainly wouldn't run it every week / fortnight / month / whatever. That allows condensation to gather that normally gets flashed off if the engine is run up to temperature.
Maybe change the oil and filter before you ride it again, but I probably wouldn't bother.
It's a regular subject on the Ducati forums, where there's a lot of passion about it....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:47 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 months? put a sheet over it and take the keys out.
____________________
Fisty: after polishing the tank with the glistenng beads of sweat from my full hot scrotum, I filled the headrace bearings with 10cc of my manmilk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl10 wrote:
A few months?

Brim the tank, keep the battery charged, turn it over for a few mins once a fortnight.

Move back and forward a bit to stop tyres misshappening maybe, at most.



Mostly correct but....


Simply starting the engine 'Turning it over' will not be of any benefit.

It will create moisture in the engine which needs to be burned off by engine heat. If not warmed up to do that all the water (produced by combustion) will seep down into the sump and do all the other stuff water in an engine does.

Pump up the tyres to 50PSI to 'support the weight of the bike to keep them round. Or sit the bike on stands.
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
2 months? put a sheet over it and take the keys out.

He said he wouldn't be able to drive (a car etc) for 2 months and didn't know how long before he could ride again.
So it seems to be the very minimum of 2 month but probably much longer.
____________________
The above comment isn't necessarily the truth and anyone that says it is, is only correct if it's the truth or they're bigger than me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
it seems to be the very minimum of 2 month but probably much longer.

This. And in fact I was warned by surgeon that the op could make things very much worse, to the extent that I might not even be able to ride a bike again. Went out for a long, fantastic run yesterday round the Peak District, thinking 'Christ, is this my last ever ride?', Filled up with petrol and fuel stabiliser on the way back, and the bike is now tucked up in the garage for the duration Sad
____________________
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS->R1250RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:53 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:
it seems to be the very minimum of 2 month but probably much longer.

This. And in fact I was warned by surgeon that the op could make things very much worse, to the extent that I might not even be able to ride a bike again. Went out for a long, fantastic run yesterday round the Peak District, thinking 'Christ, is this my last ever ride?', Filled up with petrol and fuel stabiliser on the way back, and the bike is now tucked up in the garage for the duration Sad

Is this from the off roading accident? Neutral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tom_e
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left my YBR in the shed from the day I passed my test until a couple of weeks ago when I sold it. It was sat there for a little under 2 years with a trickle of fuel in the tank and a good coat of ACF50 on the outside.

Apart from that it wasn't touched until I dragged it out to get it MOT'd which it flew through with no work needed.

Bikes aren't all that delicate.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Is this from the off roading accident?

Yep. Or, shoulder-versus-boulder incident during an unscheduled dismount while off-roading, as I prefer to call it (half-seriously, to distinguish it from my regular activities 'on the black stuff', in an attempt to stave off the concern/nagging of family members who are perhaps less than delighted by my recent return to two wheels after 30-odd years... Shocked )
____________________
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS->R1250RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mawsley
Traffic Copper



Joined: 07 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XJ was parked one day and not started for another two and a half years. Popped in a new battery, pumped the tyres up to pressure and all was well with the world. Fuel was fine, carbs didn't fill with jelly, tyres didn't become misshapen. Oh, I did have to remove field mice from the airbox.

Maybe some bikes need all of the aforementioned fettling, my direct experience is that they don't.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

haroman666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CBR has been outside under a cover for around 10 months now. I go out there every few weeks and fire her up, get her hot and have been down the road once or twice (obviously not something you can really do) and all is well.

When I go to put her back on the road, it will be a case of going to the local fuel station, brimming the tank and going for a ride that will go through at least 3/4's of that tank.
____________________
The mistresses: 2000 Honda CBR600f, 2000 Honda VTR1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old fuel affects different fuel systems in different ways.
I've seen cars and bikes which just need fresh fuel to run pretty well after near 10 years without being started.
I've also seen both cars and bikes which need carbs/Injectors sonic cleaned before they run right after only months unused.
You pays your money and makes your own choice...
____________________
The above comment isn't necessarily the truth and anyone that says it is, is only correct if it's the truth or they're bigger than me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.07 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 113.44 Kb