Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Pushing a non legit bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:22 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Pushing a non legit bike Reply with quote

So my friend put a CG125 in my garden a while back, I sorted it a bit and then it sat unloved for many moons. It's not MOTd, taxed or insured but I need to move it about 450m to my new digs.

It doesn't run, and I'm in a crime hotspot, what's the legal ramifications of just pushing it round on the pavement? Pig chopper is up most evenings, and I really don't need more points on licence.

Plz advise on the legalities. It will take me 10 minutes tops, but I've had a spate of bad luck and there's been a lot of burglaries in my very local area (used my baseball bat 3 times last week because of empty student area and robberies) and I'm concerned about an easy conviction. Have owners permission in writing and of course the keys.

Tl;dr, got 125 not legal to ride, also doesn't run, need move 500m, what do.
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:15 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may get some questions asked, but what on earth would not be legit about *pushing* a bike 450M?

As long as your mate can prove it's his (V5 etc), then there's no issue if you get stopped.
____________________
'98 VFR800 (touring) - '12 VFR800 Crosrunner (Commuting) - '01 KDX220 (Big Green Antisocial Machine)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:01 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many moons ago I had a similar situation.
I needed to move my moto-ball bike from one garage to another.

Halfway through moving the bike, the piggies turned up all full of themselves, thinking they had an easy nick.

I was able to give them names and addresses of who I bought the bike from , the people I had rented the garage from and my club members.
Also I had identification on me like my driving license.

They gave me a hard time and threatened to nick me for having an improper machine on the road with out the proper insurance etc.
Like you I was pushing the bike to its new home.
I could of ridden it along with all the noise an of roader makes and they would never of seen me.
But if they had of seen me riding it, the chances were that they would of taken the bike and I would never have got it back Crying or Very sad

Make sure you have some contact details on you and ID .
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:20 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance and MOT offences apply to motor vehicles. Remove the spark plug. Push it, don't sit on it, even to freewheel it downhill.

VED, well I assume the owner/keeper has SORNed it, otherwise he'll be getting blackmail demands from DVLA anyway.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike


Last edited by Rogerborg on 14:11 - 10 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:26 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the wheels, tank and seat off, put the remaining scrap metal in a wheelbarrow, wheel away, come back for the bits you took off, job jobbed!
You'd get more man points for using a shopping trolley, but that's up to you.
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:42 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Take the wheels, tank and seat off, put the remaining scrap metal in a wheelbarrow, wheel away, come back for the bits you took off, job jobbed!
You'd get more man points for using a shopping trolley with a flowery shopping bag in it but that's up to you.


FTFY
HTH
X
Thumbs Up
____________________
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, I bought an old CG125 that had sat in a shed unloved for years, I paid my doley mate a tenner to push it to my house, cos it was two miles away Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:03 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago whilst I was at University, it came to the start of the second year and I was moving house to share with a few mates. One of them was helping me move, it was only 500m-ish down the road behind some shops.
We decided to go out and get pissed first, this made the whole move slightly easier - apart from the fact we were doing several journeys carrying a sofa, armchairs, boxes, hifi, TV etc at 1-2 in the morning! Laughing

We just so happened to be carrying the hifi and TV when a cop car drove past us, got to the end of the road and started doing a u-turn. At this point we had just about arrived at the new place and couldn't be bothered having to explain ourselves. So we legged it there and hid in the back yard before quickly going in the back door. They never found us. Very Happy
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty's story remind me of when a gang of us had to move an upright piano about 500m down the road from old house to new house.

For some reason it was decided that the dead of night after getting in from the pub, was the best time to do it.

After it had been manhandled down the front steps my cousin decided to check it was still in tune. His key tickling turned into a full-on boogie-woogie, Jools Holland style session with him sitting on an office chair being wheeled down the street playing as he went.

The neighbours were initially furious being woken on a school night, with lights going on and curtains being flung back, but no-one complained.
____________________
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:57 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pushed my DT through the streets of Liverpool when i got it from a back garden.

I didnt get any attention from the Police, a few scallies told me the bike looked "sick" though
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
I pushed my DT through the streets of Liverpool when i got it from a back garden.

I didnt get any attention from the Police, a few scallies told me the bike looked "sick" though


when my XR250 engine died, I pushed it home, and I had similar, they were popping up like meerkats all over the place
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *believe*, if you want to be legal, a skate boards under each wheel will mean you don't need to meet the requirements.

From my investigations of towing vehicles; removing the engine on a road registered vehicle would still be 'questionable' at best, but elevate the driven wheels above the road and you should be fine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.33 Sec - Server Load: 1.65 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 79.44 Kb