Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New Job - New Vehicle - Motorway Miles - Cruise Control?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Oct 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:58 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: New Job - New Vehicle - Motorway Miles - Cruise Control? Reply with quote

I've got a new job, 4 on, 4 off shift work with accommodation included as well as a pay rise! Only down side is it's 4 hours away and the 'blade would be a poor choice to munch the miles (as well as kill tyres).

I'm wondering if any new bikes have cruise control installed so I can worry less about my speed? Other than that, what else should I consider on a bike for tedious journeys? I normally avoid motorways, too many cameras and too boring. I just need to get there.

Also considering just using the car but at 20mpg it's not exactly cheap to run.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:11 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a cheap diesel car, not a chance I would want to do that sort of milage commuting on a bike. A car would be much cheaper and more comfortable.
____________________
DRZ400-SM
FZS600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Oct 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Buy a cheap diesel car, not a chance I would want to do that sort of milage commuting on a bike. A car would be much cheaper and more comfortable.


The insurance for me on most shit euroboxes is horrendous. In the insurance lottery I apparently have numerous bad factors. This is why I go for large engine cars as they're the only affordable cars for me. Filtering is frowned upon in cars too. You're right though, it probably will be the best option to go with. I'd like to explore motorbike options as once at work I need to commute between my accommodation and work as well as during my down time. The bike makes more sense at that point.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:20 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive option, and I would probably suggest a cage, but the Triumph Tiger XRx has cruise control..

But as I said, I think a car would probably be better as I cant see many things worse that sitting on the motorway in the cold and pissing rain for 4 hours on a bike.
____________________
Riding: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer Occasionally Riding: 08 Suzuki SV650, Potato: 2011 Yamaha YBR Custom.
Used to ride: 2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (smidsy) 09 Triumph Street Triple (P/X'd) 08 Yamaha YBR (Sold)
CBT 04/14. A: Mod 1 & 2 13/04/15
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 08 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruise control is fairly new for bikes isn't it? So will be limited to relatively modern, expensive ones?

Will a throttle lock do-dad not do the same job without limiting your bike choice?

But Yeh, get a car.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors - add your name to the register
Ducati Multistrada 950 | Triumph Tiger 800 XR | Honda CBR500R | Yamaha YBR 125 Custom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:
Twice a week? Hardly the end of the world some weeks I commute two hours each way.


Would still rather do it in a cage, fuck getting piss wet through/ cold in winter Thumbs Up
____________________
DRZ400-SM
FZS600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

something a bit more sports tour-y such as a ZZR600, fair bit of performance (so not going to help with the speed tickets) but a bit easier to ride long distances (used to do Manchester to Birmingham every once in a while on mine) fairly cheap to pickup and insure
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Oct 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownTrousers wrote:
Will a throttle lock do-dad not do the same job without limiting your bike choice?


No, I want to religiously stick to 70mph. Fucked if I'm risking 3 points for a fucking motorway.

As for others saying getting wet, I use Goretex stuff. Getting soaked isn't really an issue for me. Been riding for so long I just accept it as part of riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:31 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:
No, I want to religiously stick to 70mph. Fucked if I'm risking 3 points for a fucking motorway.

Eh? Probably least likely to get caught on a motorway, even with average speed cameras I've yet to get anything. F**k sitting at 70.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Oct 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
NeverAgain wrote:
No, I want to religiously stick to 70mph. Fucked if I'm risking 3 points for a fucking motorway.

Eh? Probably least likely to get caught on a motorway, even with average speed cameras I've yet to get anything. F**k sitting at 70.


I go past a lot of Hadecs 3 cameras on the route. My attention span isn't that great to be noticing all the different cameras on motorways and fucked knows I've been caught enough times to know I cannot easily spot them all the time on motorways.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft drive, large capacity, big fairing. Not a BMW.

That would be my criteria. I do wish the VFR had cruise control - that would be nice.
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 hours; what, 250 miles ish? That's like Plymouth to Manchester; 2/3 the length of the country.... and half a day in the saddle.
Have to say that with that sort of arse-ache journey to tackle twice a week... cruise control is about the last thing on my things to fret about!

As its only once a week; I would be thinking Train and a good book!

Can you still stick a scooter the guards van, these days to get about locally either end?
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

choogh
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 05 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:30 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF?. You want to use a bike .. then a BMW r1200rt, a mile eater and in some comfort.
____________________
Current Squadron:
R1200rt. Virago 535
Loro Sono tra noi.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:30 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kia Rio graphite 1.5 crdi

All the kit 50+ mpg

Boring as to drive but could keep the blade for fun

Cheap as to insure as scrotes think they are as shit as they are

Wife loves her and just ran out of warranty
It is a 2010 car

Nly prob we had was a mouse eating a diesel pipe

Twice Twisted Evil

Second time replaced with a non armoured rubber pipe and its been fine for two years so far
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Oct 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
As its only once a week; I would be thinking Train and a good book!


It's £80 and 6 hours. Fuck that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ridden a triumph explorer with cruise and you can't just set it and leave it because nobody else sticks to 70mph, even those trying to stick to 70 vary their speed constantly, so you set at 70 and slowly gain on the person in front, and have to keep adjusting the set speed down to stop gaining on them and then back up again when clear.
____________________
Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TbirdX
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:59 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car - Pug 107 or one of the equivalents - £20 road tax, 50+mpg and you won't want to go faster than 70

Bike - NC750X or S
____________________
VFR800X - CFMoto 450MT - TTR250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:32 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does trains work for you I.e. Is work/digs and home all close enough to stations, to walk/cycle or get a taxi? If so then season ticket and save your bike and car for at home.

If not you need a cheap to run car. Diesel is ok or 1Ltr petrol city car etc. Fucking crap to drive on the motorway, but in say an Aygo I can do Redditch to West Cornwall on about 1/2 a tank, 240miles and that's at 70-80mph on motorway and then across Dartmoor, spanking the arse out of it. On the A30 I'd save more fuel though.

If you need local transport for a few miles here and there when away at work, buy a cheap second hand scooter a real shit chinqy or anything. Leave it at work locked up under a cover or in a storage building etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:


As its only once a week; I would be thinking Train and a good book!

Can you still stick a scooter the guards van, these days to get about locally either end?


what's a guards van Teff?

You're lucky if you can get a pushbike onto a train these days!
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arthurmo
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 24 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:56 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar commute for about a year and had an explorer which had cruise control. I only really used it in roadworks and the horror of the A40 cameras. It was shaft driven so no chain maintenance and I could still filter although it was a very heavy bike. You can get a good deal on a 1 st gen as the markets flooded with em just watch out for the servicing costs. I still preferred riding in shit weather to being stuck in queues everyday in the cage and with an aftermarket screen and headphones streaming the radio it flew by.
____________________
ducati mutleystrada
Triumph Thruxton old and knackered just like the owner
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:55 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
As its only once a week; I would be thinking Train and a good book!


It's £80 and 6 hours. Fuck that.


At 50 to the gallon from something heavy enough to be comfy for that length of time you are probably looking at £40's worth of petrol, and £25's worth of tyres, before 1/6h of a major service, tax & insurance.... visors, waterproofs and other sundry gear, A-N-D the numb-bum...

So quid pro-quo; to sit in a waiting room, not have to stop for comfort breaks, and be able to read a book rather than deal with homicidal audicochs?!

OK.. so its a bit more time... but how much time would you 'really' save, if you added up comfort stops, togging up, checking the chain, doing the extra oil changes drying sopping water-proofs etc etc etc?

So six hours catch-up TV or reading a book, or playing face-ache farm-life or whatever is the game of the day!

Depends what your idea of 'fun' is I suppose....

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

Can you still stick a scooter the guards van, these days to get about locally either end?


what's a guards van Teff?


Bit like a Vanguarde, in retrospective, I think.... used to have them on the train to school; sort of like in the movies, where the bandits ride along side on their 'orse then leap in and tell the ticket fella to open the safe at gun-point.... which we all hoped for as revenge for him walking down the carriages telling us to put the fags out or pay full-fare!!
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:55 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Trophy has cruise control and I've owned numerous Goldwings with it.

As said above, our roads don't really work with cruise control unless it is dead quiet. I found it wonderful on the continent on French motorways (because they a pretty empty), setting it at the speed limit and getting through the miles without getting a ticket.

It's useful for giving your right hand a rest Shocked but not much else in UK. You haven't even got a speed limiter option like some car ones have.

All that said, I do know people who use it a lot on their bikes so it's another horses for courses however I find the stereo automatic volume control much more useful. Cool
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:23 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: New Job - New Vehicle - Motorway Miles - Cruise Control? Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:
I've got a new job, 4 on, 4 off shift work with accommodation included as well as a pay rise! Only down side is it's 4 hours away and the 'blade would be a poor choice to munch the miles (as well as kill tyres).



So given the answers already given...

Just where is this to & from, miles ?

Reason for asking is 4 hours for me is like Leeds to south of London, or a nice trip round the Yorkshire dales...

Parking at the other end, is it secure?

Any bike will kill it's tyre's and also up the maintenance costs.

TBH. Unless you are going to be using the bike while at your new workplace. Even your car doing 20 MPG Shocked would be a better option.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 11 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
As its only once a week; I would be thinking Train and a good book!


It's £80 and 6 hours. Fuck that.


Train =
1) you don't have to do a thing
2) you don't have to maitain the train
3) you don't have to sort parking in your destination
4) you may spend your time doing something else (other than driving)
5) the timetable of the train might not suit you

----------------------------
I used to do 3 hours (6h total) commute in a car (1.9 TDi, so 60 mpg was doable, although I got more to 50 mpg; + the highway toll). It was once, sometimes twice a week. To be in my destination at 8:00 o'clock, I had to depart from my home at 4:00 o'clock, just in case something went wrong. Would I do this on a motorcycle? I very doubt that.
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.72 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.95 Kb